SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manic_gardener_socal_10a

question about redoing paint job

We just had a bathroom painted - it was an acrylic paint, which I had the impression was safe, but someone sent me the safety data sheet for the paint and I was shocked - suspected of causing cancer; causes damage to the lungs through repeated exposure; etc. For all I know, other paints are even worse, but after a bit of researching on the web I was able to find paints with no toxic substances - which I now think would have been a better choice. The room is a bathroom with only a small window for ventilation, and people may spend a long time in there, taking baths every day, etc. I've read that some of the dangerous compounds can hang around in the air for months, which could lead to a lot of exposure for people in the house.

My question is, since the paint has already been applied, what are my options if I wanted to have it redone with a less toxic paint? Would I first need to have the recently applied paint completely removed? Are there any products available that can actually be "painted over" what's there, and that would provide a protective seal?

Any ideas you have or feedback you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (11)