SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_441894174

Nervous about a major renovation and affecting the neighbors

Rachael M
2 years ago

We bought a home in an area that is just starting to move from small 2 bed 1 bath bungalows to larger renovated homes. The lots are fairly small, so the only choices are to completely eliminate your backyard or build up. We bought the house so that we could finally have a yard and eventually a house big enough to have kids.

There have already been people on the street that have added a second story, and one or two that have completely torn the homes down and built giant houses.

We really want to keep the wonderful feel of the street. So many of the neighbors have lived there they're entire adult lives. Raised kids there.

We want to be as respectful as possible. Plan to keep a similar aesthetic to the street, but want to utilize the space to our full advantage so that we don't have to do anything to it in the future. If we're doing it, we're going all in.

We know that no one is ever pleased to have large construction happen next door or on the street, but we were hoping the neighbors would be amicable and understanding. We haven't even starting filing for permits yet but we had mentioned we were planning on adding a second story to our nextdoor neighbor (which I know some will say was a mistake, but we aren't trying to hide anything!). She has already told me directly that she hates that we will be adding a second story. She has even mentioned going to the city meetings to potentially fight the permitting. I don't know that she would actually do that, and we will be doing everything by the book so there isn't really anything she can do. However, I just anticipate a lot of drama and I am exceedingly nervous about it. I am completely sympathetic to the fact that her street is going through major changes and that honestly sucks, but we're not the only ones to do it. Just the closest to her that will be doing it.

I also just feel bad in general having a major construction project go on while so many people are working from home these days. The general rule of thumb to have contractors work at reasonable hours doesn't even really help a lot of people these days.

My plan is to let the neighbors know well in advance, give them our contact information if they don't already have it, let them know our plans, maybe bring a bottle of wine or something nice.

We'll keep everything well documented, by the book, and do everything in our power to make it smooth.

Do you all have any other suggestions, recommendations, ways to ease people's minds during all of this? Especially when so many people are home during the days even on weekdays now?

I appreciate everyone's help!

Comments (28)