SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_johnson9888

Floorboards stop at door - difficulty with laying wood flooring on top

Michael Johnson
2 years ago

I recently bought some engineered wood flooring for my 60's built flat which is 95% floor boards but at the door there is a square concrete section. It was previously carpeted and this was totally unnoticeable until I lifted it all.

Fast forward to the fitter visiting the flat and they pointed out that because of the slight height difference (roughly 3-5mm) between the concrete and the floor boards they would need to add a threshold between the two sections to make it work. Taking this at face value, I'm unsure how to make this look good and not ruin the clean aesthetic.

This picture shows the square area by the door that needs to be different (the line in the floor to the cupboard).

The fitter was intending to use a wood effect strip and keep the angle of the floor the same to kind of hide the join but in my opinion it would look better to lean into it and make it some sort of homage to a japanese-type genkan area.

My first idea was to change the orientation of the floor and also use a silver threshold to make it look deliberate. I'm struggling to imagine how this might actually look though (ran out of flooring so can't just lay it and see).

I'm really just looking for opinions on if this is a good idea or if anyone has some better options?

Comments (5)