SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annette_naploszek

ideas as to what type of succulents i have here

Anntt -IL
2 years ago

What do you think these are? I came up with graptosedum, california sunset.

I cant seem to find much about dividing them, and why mine are growing in clumps.

Comments (14)

• Anntt -IL
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Should i leave them as is? I was thinking of repotting them all together into a 6” pot.

• Anntt -IL
    Original Author
    2 years ago

❤️

• socks
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would not move them or remove that remaining leaf until it falls off on its own. They need much more time to get established. When you do pot them together, use a better mix than what they are in now. Commercial cactus/succulent mix is faster draining. Dont overwater. They are succulents, store water in their leaves.

Nice little plants. I can't ID them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

i also wondered why you are using a very high water retaining media that looks like all peat .. for this type of plant ... you can overcome such by making sure it does not retain too much water .. which is why peat is in media ... in other words.. as long as you water properly for the media you have.. it will work ,..

and whats your hurry on messing with them ... in my experience ... these types of plants are slow motion houseplants .. so start thinking in slow motion ...

just dont love them to death by messing with success too much ...

ken

• Anntt -IL
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Its coconut coir, similar to peat. I started experimenting with it for seed starting and just enjoy using it for propagating as well and as a soil amendment. It holds water evenly and dries well! And i find it makes it simpler to control moisture. Like you said if watered properly it will work!

And I will be leaving them, i just got impatient 😅 and was thinking of moving some plants around

I probably should have mixed different soil when moving it to a 2” pot, but didnt. I started these with just petals and seeing how theyve been growing ill probably be able to repot within a year. Hopefully they will be easier to ID then!

• John (Zone 5b/6a, IN)
    2 years ago

Coco coir can work quite well for succulent seedlings. They are most likely G. California Sunset or G. Bronze. And they are clustering because you have given them proper conditions to reproduce as well as started with healthy leaves to propagate from. One well-off succulent leaf can produce multiple pups if given the appropriate amount of light as well as watered when roots appear. If you start caring for the pups like normal plants as soon as roots appear, the mother leaf will sometimes remain for months and continue to grow new pups. It's a fun way to add some unique multi-headed specimens to your collection. Most succulents naturally pup or offset, but when grown from a single leaf, it gives a lot of visual interest early on because many of the rosettes are of similar size/age. I quite enjoy the clustered look.

You can move them around as much as you want. If you combine all of them into the same pot and want to use coco coir (which there is no problem with, you just have to water appropriately, as you said), I would honestly leave them in a smaller pot. I personally enjoy watering and in a smaller pot the water would be used/evaporate more quickly than if you chose a larger pot. Plus with less space for the roots to colonize, you would most likely see more top growth*.

*this is a short-term benefit. As the roots get congested you will see a dropoff in the overall health of any plant. However, since you appear to be in Illinois, this would be something you could do for 3-4 months and watch their growth explode. I do not think this is enough time to see a detriment to the overall vitality/health of any of the plants. Then separate and repot individually in larger pots in May. This is roundabouts the ideal time for repotting most things anyway.

• Anntt -IL
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, John! I also love the clustered look, great information on why this happens. I appreciate and admire your physiological approach. Thank you for giving me a new perspective, im excited to learn more!

• John (Zone 5b/6a, IN)
    2 years ago

Ann,

These are some young succulents I have.

1. Echeveria "Black Prince". The original leaf only fell off maybe a month ago, but had been dried out for some time. This one leaf gave me a plant that has a number of individual rosettes.

2. Same plant from overhead.

3. A collection of young succulents. The center, pachyphytum compactum aka Little Jewel has two heads right now and you can see the original leaf at the base of the bigger rosette. In back you can see a 3 headed specimen; not sure what this one is as I just picked up a leaf I found on the floor at walmart.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

Agree, totally normal.

I would leave them as-is. By late summer, the pots should look full.

• PRO
    Cactus Online EOOD
    2 years ago

old leaves will dry, don't remove them till they are alive - they still work for newbies.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

Could you phrase that a different way, Cactus Online? I don't understand.

• PRO
    Cactus Online EOOD
    2 years ago

just keep the leaves, don't remove them.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    2 years ago

...don't remove 'mother' leaves when rooting them, even if there are roots-plantlets growing. They will supply moisture and any nutrients that are in them to the youn plants. They will eventuallydry up and separate themselves...that is when they should be removed...sometimes, they last for a long time