SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shoppegirlmn

Shower Grout Cracked & Eroding

ShoppeGirlMN
2 years ago

Just a year after install my shower bench grout has cracked and crumbled. Both on the top and the front of the bench. I was concerned within just a few weeks of installation because i could see the profile of some of the tiles on the front of the bench. Now I‘m seeing tile profiles on the walls of the shower too.

I asked The Tile Shop where we bought the products. They asked if the contractor grouted more than once in these areas as that can cause problems. He had touched up the area a day or teo after the first grout application as i remember it.

The contractor inspected the space and said he wasnt sure why it was cracking on the seat or seemingly eroding from the walls. He went to The Tile Shop himself and they told him that cracked tile on benches and seats is very common because of movement. I dont think the two parties discussed multiple grout applications.

The contractor is waiting to hear back from the grout manufacturer.

Is the contractor responsible for regrouting the tile? I’m worried that I’m going to have to pay for all or most of the regrouting if I want it done.

Comments (9)