SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nsmiths81

Front Yard Help - To Fence or Not to Fence?

nsmiths81
2 years ago

Hi,

We are hoping to do some work/redesigning on our front yard and I'm looking for some insight and ideas regarding curb appeal.

The yard is small just 18.5' deep and 33' wide. It is currently fully fenced in, however we need to remove the current fencing due to rotten posts and general disrepair. We will also be removing the ivy and jasmine hedges (which are both currently supporting the fence). The jasmine hedge along the driveway recently suffered some severe gopher damage, and we and our neighbors hate the ivy. I'm open to taking out all of the other hedges too (including the ones along the front of the house (although they currently disguise the foundation vents, 4 or 5 of them, and the water and gas main pipes).

We would like to replace the current water intensive landscaping with more drought tolerant and low maintenance landscaping as we are in CA (Zone 17 of the Sunset Western Gardening Zones). The yard is north facing with partial shade to full shade due to a large redwood tree in the neighbors yard. My initial idea was to take out the "lawn" as the primary function of the yard and install a pea gravel patio for some seating and a small propane firepit. I often find myself sitting in a camping chair in my driveway watching my kids and the neighbor kids all play. I originally thought to replace the fencing as it gives the house some character. Perhaps a new fence but adding a walkway/gate to the patio from the sidewalk to create a sort of front entry way (our front door does not face the street).

But now I'm second guessing that plan. Do we need a fence? We tend not to use the front yard because it's fenced off currently. I would like some seating, but is a patio in such a small space the way to go? Also we might possibly be moving sometime in the next year, and perhaps investing too much in the front yard is not a good idea. But the fence, jasmine, and ivy have to go no matter what, and the lawn irrigation no longer works, so something has to be done.

I'd love some thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Full view of the yard

Now dead jasmine left side, and ivy on the right side. "Lawn" area is a mix of grass and weeds.

My initial pea gravel patio and pathway design idea and a dry rock river bed.

Comments (36)