SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emualliug

Replacing hung windows with French-style windows - century-old house

Hello!

I'm considering replacing the old windows of the century-old house I just bought in Ottawa. For the moment it's equipped with leaky wooden hung windows with outer storm windows, single-pane glass and broken counterweight system so they don't stay open.

That kind of windows:

I'd like to keep the old wooden frame, as it has character, and I'm leaning towards wooden windows for the new ones to keep it in line with the age of the house.

I have strong negative feelings towards hung windows, and I'd like to get French-style (I mean windows you'd find in France): hinged on the side, opening inwards, with a handle to keep it shut (no crank) and multiple locking points. As a total newbie at house renovations, the prospect of that job is quite daunting, and I have a few questions:

- what price range am I looking to replace 9 windows of normal size?

- Is it actually doable to do that job? Are there any difficulties I should be aware of?

- Would the new windows clash with the house, architecturally speaking, or would it blend in nicely?

- Are there any questions I should be asking I've missed?

I've found several manufacturers in Canada so far:

- Lepage Millworks

- Martin Industries

- Fenêtres Martin (not the same!)

- Menuiserie Delisle

- Heritage Windows & Doors (maybe)

- Norwood

What's the general consensus on those, are there any I should avoid or I can trust blindly? Are there any other manufacturers I should look into?

Thanks!

Comments (2)