SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edanz

Panicle hydrangea for a north facing foundation?

edanz
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Mexican orange blossom in a north facing spot about two feet from the foundation of the house that I would like to replace with a panicle hydrangea. The spot obviously gets little to no direct light, although it has been enough for the Mexican orange blossom (Aztec Pearl, I think) to thrive and bloom. As far as I can tell, the sun starts hitting the ground about 7 feet away starting at noon, and then moves back toward the foundation until evening. I doubt the spot gets more than maybe an hour of direct sun per day, but the orange blossom surprisingly does really well. Unfortunately I just find the orange blossom a bit boring.

Now, I have a panicle hydrangea in the back garden (candlelight) with panicles that fade to pink, then to brown, and stay in pristine condition all throughout the winter. I am really impressed by it's winter structure, and now I'm hoping to find a similar hydrangea for this north-facing spot, if possible.

Does anyone have any experience with a panicle hydrangea that did do well in a north facing spot like mine?

Comments (2)