SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2nrussell2

Native Shrubs and Plants List

Nancy RW (zone 7)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I wanted to start this thread for those who are interested in planting more native shrubs, then I found a whole bunch of native plant seeds I still have, so made it shrubs AND plants. The plant seeds are now in the freezer until I can deal with them tomorrow. I’ll stratify them in damp paper towels (in plastic bags), I think.

Since the importance of native trees/shrubs/plants within our ecoregions has just come to light fairly recently, there’s much yet to be learned by most of us. Danny knows a lot about natives; I’m sure there are other folks out here who do, too—I hope you’ll step in and correct and help me, as well as add to the lists and conversation.

As many of you know, Doug Tallamy has been a veritable force for beginning a national dialogue on the importance of native plants in our regions and in our world. His books include Bringing Nature Home and Nature’s Best Hope (and at least one more new one). He has been a chief advisor for many national nature organizations, including National Wildlife Federation and the Audubon Society. His own web site is: https://homegrownnationalpark.org/tallamys-hub-1

Great online native seed sites include Missouri Wildflower Nursery, Wildseed Farms (TX), Native American Seeds (also in TX), Prairie Moon Nursery (MN), American Meadows has many, Prairie Nursery. Others, people?

I have lots more to say, but out of time and don’t want to lose my post again!

OSU has native shrub list (and berry shrubs, many of which are native to OK), but their native list includes the lower 48 states. I expect someone will update the list soon and correctly include those shrubs that are native to OK, not to NY or Oregon! However, the list is a great starting point. Just be sure to double check by googling to see if a shrub is native to OK.

https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/selecting-shrubs-for-the-landscape.html#native-species

I’ll be back with shrubs and plants I have. I have bought all the shrubs online, as opposed to trying to grow them from seed.

Shrubs

2 American Beautyberry (Callicarpa Americana)

2 Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis)

American Witch Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana)

3 Clethra Alnifolia

3 Fringetree (Chionanthus virginicus)

Amer Cranberry bush (Viburnum Trilobum)

Devil's Walking Stick (Aralia spinosa)

2 spicebush (Lindera Benzoin)

Rusty blackhaw (viburnum rufidulum)

Flowering dogwood

Oakleaf hydrangea

Smoke tree

Elderberry bushes

Ninebark

Paw paw trees

Sumacs

Yaupon Holly

Plants:

Aromatic aster (Symphyotrichum oblongifolium)

Asclepias incarnata (rose)

Asclepias speciosa (showy)

Asclepias tuberosa

Asclepias viridis (spider)

Blue False Indigo (Baptisia australis)

Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis)

Frostweed (Verbesina virginica)

Lead Plant (Amorpha canescens)

Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)

Prairie verbena (Glandularia bipinnatifida)

Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccafolium)

Roadside Agrimony (Agrimonia striata)

Rough Blazingstar (Liatris aspera)

Rudbeckia Laciniata

Shiny goldenrod (solidago nitidia)

Tall bellflower (Campanula americana)

Wild Ginger (Asarum canadense)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH