SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berobert

What is the best sod for active kid backyard in Los Angeles?

Bryan
2 years ago

We just finished building a pool in our backyard and all the grass was destroyed so we’re starting from scratch. It’s not a huge area, maybe 40’ x 20’ but we want it to be:

1. durable for our kids playing soccer and running from grass to pool and back

2. drought tolerant as we live in Woodland Hills CA where it gets hot in the summer (and in the mid to upper 30’s at night for a few weeks in the winter) and keeping our old grass happy required a ton of water. It’s all pretty much full sun so in the dead of summer, keeping our old grass from scorching was tricky if not impossible

3. my mom has a dog that sometimes comes over and hoping it could be pet urin resistant but that’s not a requirement

4. hopefully not too much maintenance?

The more research I do, the more I’m torn between Marathon I and Celebration or Tiftuf Bermuda. It sounds like we’d need concrete barriers to keep the Bermuda contained (which we won’t have) and the Marathon is going to not be happy in the middle of summer without lots of water. Looking for any local sod experts.

Comments (14)