SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

What fun things do you have planned for 2022?

3katz4me
2 years ago

I always feel like my plans are kind of tentative with the virus but I like to have something to look forward to. We are supposed to go to South Carolina in March both to get away from Minnesota winter and also to do some investigation about potentially buying a second home there at some point. All our reservations are made and this would be our first air trip since Covid. We've done a couple road trips but we save a couple days by flying so planning to give that a go. We also have a VRBO reservation in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in August and plan to join some friends from Oregon there. That would be a road trip and we'd see a few sights on the way there and back. That would likely be the first big road trip in our new Tesla. I don't have any fun house project plans because I'm pretty much satisfied with everything at both places. We are supposed to get a new deck at our lake place but that's not all that exciting - just replacing what is rotting away.

Comments (47)

• terezosa / terriks
    2 years ago

I have booked flights to Lisbon to start a walk to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. I'm hoping that I don't have to change my plans, but I'm prepared to do so.

• User
    2 years ago

We have the move and house reno for my BIL . This project is going to take months to complete so we are trying to not let that interfere with our fun!

Last year we rented a small house for the month of April near the beach in Venice FL. We loved it and decided to do it again this year. I couldn’t find anything that was as nice and had given up. A couple months ago I decided to look again and the perfect place appeared. I snapped it up ! We took our bicycles last year and rode 100 miles a week on the various paved trails and routes that cycling clubs have published . We also went to the Y using our Silver Sneakers membership from here in VA. We had our DD and the babies come down from Atlanta last year for a week to play at the beach and we will do that again as well. Really looking forward to this!

• Related Discussions

Just for fun, what do you love but would never have in your own home?

Q

Comments (78)
    In my new home, I have a housekeeper come every other week. I like clean homes. I do NOT like the actual job of cleaning them. I'd rather work in the garden, or do some cooking, or deal with the chickens, or keep up with physical maintenance and house painting/staining, or do graphic arts or anything else. I'm fine with doing laundry, too. I clean up after myself in the kitchen, but the housekeeper does floors, bathrooms and general dusting/windows and such. And I now have a robot vacuum who is pretty decent at what he does. He even has a name: Sharkey. I'm not crazy about cleaning his filter, but it comes with the territory and lasts five minutes... I didn't have a housekeeper back at my old CT home. One reason my getting out of there and getting the place on the market is taking so long... especially since I then had a full time job that lasted well over the standard 40 hour work week. THIS one will be clean! But it doesn't need to be anally-House Beautiful clean. Simply lived in and tidy. My reasons for not wanting a fully white kitchen or other rooms are not about appearing clean, but about my just only wanting white as an accent. Aesthetically. That's what works for my sense of eye appeal.
    ...See More

Do you have any fun, interesting, exciting, different plans for 2019?

Q

Comments (69)
    So many great plans here! I'm so jealous! I have the next five months of intense work to look forward to and no time off at all. This summer, I'm contemplating taking my mother and my daughter to see Mom's people in Indiana. My daughter has just a few short weeks between grad school terms and she has this sweet relationship with my 88 year old aunt. It feels like I ought to make that trip happen. My spouse and I discussed a New England trip this fall and I might have to start making plans for that, just to keep sane over the next few months!
    ...See More

What never planted perenn. do you plan to put in your garden in 2022?

Q

Comments (34)
    Oh yes, I know. I actually had someone come and give me an estimate for planting an oak in that spot, and was all set to go ahead when my dad died and I got sidetracked. Then life got in the way and in the meantime I thought it would be a good opportunity to plant an ornamental tree. I have such a wooded lot that there's not a lot of space or sun, so this gives me the chance to plant something different. I have 40 other oaks, lol. I was looking at weeping cherries (which is what I REALLY wanted), redbuds and dogwoods, in particular as well as a few others, and decided on the redbud. I had actually originally considered a maple - I love the color of maples in the fall - but since there's an established garden here I thought the maple might wreak havoc on it. So I went the ornamental route! :) Dee
    ...See More

What fun, or kind thing would you do if you won the lottery?

Q

Comments (38)
    For something fun, (in the absence of covid risk) I would definitely spend a lot of time traveling, even living for months at a time in one of several countries. Then, I would maybe buy a different house, outside the urban/suburban ring (but still close enough for convenience) with a larger piece of land where I can indulge in growing many different apple varieties and a few other fruits - without the pressure from overpopulated deer and raccoons. Not for fun, but for philanthropy, I have often thought about using an extremely large jackpot to rehab older housing stock, especially in deteriorated neighborhoods that used to be full of beautiful houses, and make them available at affordable rents (affordable for lower wage workers, not what is typically labeled "affordable" around here.)
    ...See More
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have a 2 week visit planned to Savannah at the end of February. Hope the airlines have their act together by then (direct flight from Boston to Savannah on JetBlue). We are renting a condo on Broughton Street - so within walking distance of a lot of places. We've lined up a housesitter to stay with our 2 Australian Shepherds while we're gone. Keeping our fingers crossed everything goes as planned. I got very sick in the middle of December (Covid?) and missed Christmas and New Years plans. Ended up in the hospital on Jan. 2nd. Have been home for 4 days and need to get my strength back.

After that trip, we are going to contact a few builders to get quotes on putting a first floor bedroom/bath addition on our home. All of our bedrooms are on the 2nd floor and stairs are difficult for me now. We will be on a long wait list, I'm sure. But we've worked on the plans and know what we want. So that will be something to focus on once we start the ball rolling.

No other travel planned for this year. I may fly to Ohio to visit my mother (who is turning 90 in a month). DH has a track car, so his life is scheduled around track events when the weather turns warmer. He will be an instructor this year with the Northeast Region Porsche Club. I'm happy not to go with him. I need to find some new hobbies...

• User
    2 years ago

@seagrass_gw Cape Cod I am so sorry to hear that you have been ill. I hope your recovery is uncomplicated and that your vacation plans go as planned. I know the process for building is still complicated by the pandemic. I sure hope you can get on a short wait list and be in your new space soon! take care. c

• localeater
    2 years ago

Our big thing is meeting up with DS2 in Edinburgh when he completes his semester away. We will have 2 weeks of touring and hiking either just DH and I or DS2 will join us, his ability to join us is dependent upon his actual final exam schedule, which is TBD at this time.

We have a tentative plan for a long weekend in March-ish timeframe in Savannah or Charleston and my sibs would join us. We just made an offer on a house though, and if that works out we will be moving in March so no trip to the South.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Seagrass, I hope you are feeling better and getting stronger every day.

DH and I are taking a long postponed honeymoon (four years!) to Hawaii next month. We'll be in Kauai for eight days and have booked a bunch of outdoor excursions (tubing, kayaking/hiking/snorkeling, sunset cruise, garden tour...Four planned activities and four beach/pool days. We planned this a year ago and hopefully it will go as planned. This year is also the year my son graduates from college, so we've booked an airbnb in May for four days. And finally, and most importantly, my daughter is due in late Feb with our first grandchild! Excited is an understatement!

• salonva
    2 years ago

I feel like I really ought to be making more plans so that we have something to look forward to. I think covid/depression brain is really taking a toll.

Back in I think August or September ( who can recall........maybe it was July?) we did book a trip at the end of May to Portugal with 2 other couples. I was so elated after we booked it.

Also DD is due with #4 in early May.

Editing to add, I really feel like I should have more planned. I would love another road trip ( we did a mini one in September and it was very uplifting).

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Seagrass, I’m sorry you’ve been ill and hope the worst is behind you now.

All these trips sound great. We are planning a drive out west in early August too. I plan to go to wine country with girl friends in late July if all goes according to plan. We will fly and DH will drive out and meet us (he doesnt drink wine). Then he and I will drive back, taking our time through Idaho, likely visit Wyoming and Utah again and dip back down though western Colorado (Telluride, Durango). We havent solidified much yet, but I’m looking into glamping in Idaho and maybe Wyoming. We’ve been to many places before, so trying to pick spots we havent seen or fully explored or want to visit again. It’s hard.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

Seagrass, so sorry to hear you have been ill! I hope you are feeling better and much stronger soon.

We are not big "planners" LOL! We are kind of fly by the seat of your pants! But, we do love road trips and will do more this year. We had thought to go to Florida next month but their covid rates are so very high, we nixed that. Our 40th anniversary is in February so we will take a few days away to celebrate. We will more than likely be in the Charleston area sometime come spring and see my sister and her husband while there. We always do a fall trip - just haven't planned one out yet.

No big exciting projects for the house. We are at that point where most everything has been done/updated, etc. I do hope to get some things done in the yard though, one being a new perennial bed, a couple of trellised areas and figure out something to do around our stone firepit.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Everything feels so tentative, which I hate but I’m getting used to it. I am most excited about traveling to DD’s college gymnastics meets starting this weekend (fingers crossed, it hasn’t been cancelled yet). She is a jr and this is the first year she’s competing due to injury 1st yr and a cancelled season last year. Now that we’ve waited so long, we are planning to go to EVERY meet. Sadly, none are in warm places. All are driving distance.

I have plans to go to FL with my best friend for 5 days in late Feb…fingers crossed. We have a cute airbb in Dunedin. DH and I hope to visit DS in Nola in April. And we have a house rented in Glacier for a week in June with all 3 kids — our first full-family vacay in 4 years.

Hoping to do some kind of big fall getaway with just DH but no plans yet. Would love to actually get to Europe again but TBD.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Oh, Sueb, Europe seems like a faraway dream sometimes, but hey, a girl can dream. We had hoped to do one trip every year or two. It’s been over 2 years now since we did our big Ireland/Scotland trip and we’re way overdue in planning & going and hitting those bucket list trips.

• rubyclaire
    2 years ago

Minimal plans on the books right now. I will travel to NYC in April to see my DD. She serves as a coordinator for a local symphony and they have a spring concert at Lincoln Center. Hopefully, things will have settled a bit by then.

We will attend a family wedding in Virginia in the fall and am looking forward to that. Other plans I hope will come together are a girlfriend golf trip somewhere and travel somewhere cool when it's 297 degrees in Florida. I'm also ready to plan a trip to Europe. That may need to wait until 2023.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

@seagrass_gw Cape Cod I'm sorry to hear about your health issues - hope your plans spur you on to feeling better soon.

DS, DIL and granddaughter are coming here in April - a trip rescheduled from the one April of last year that was cancelled. This one is tentative as well because granddaughter just turned 4 so ineligible blah blah blah and we'll just have to see what things look like then.

Other DS is contemplating a move out of CO and wants to come here for a visit and to take some day trips with me exploring the state. DH might feel left out but he doesn't like to do the same kind of exploring DS and I do so we'll see. DS has taken up letter writing (snail mail kind) and I'm getting details and insight in new areas.

Other than that my life looks much like schoolhouse's!

• Springroz
    2 years ago

Just putting myself out there, so maybe a few others can commiserate

Hiking in my backyard. The biggest ”trip” will be driving 4 hours to hike somewhere NIMBY.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Springroz, I’m with you. I love hearing about others’ trips plans! But we will be staying home, selling Dad’s house, and our biggest trip will to see DMIL a ten-hour drive away.

Our other fun thing will be, my brother is letting DS stay in his downtown apartment for several months, while Bro is out of state. So that will be, um, interesting. It’s a great location though not much of a view (except for the 10th-floor fitness center of the building across the street, ooh la la). And, it means probably a few drives downtown to deliver, oh oh, say, a lamp or the like.

And, it means DH will likely go downtown one day a week so they can work together! WooHoo! A day to be noisy in the house all by myself! Now THAT will be fun!

(also looking forward to getting new windows this year. No more plastic film!)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 years ago

Lets see? How about retirement? Doing that in May and I think I am excited about that.

All the kids and families heading to HHI in June. We haven't all been together on vacay for a few years. Would like to travel more but still leery of Covid. We will see what the summer brings.

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

Well, like many others, this d**#! Covid thing has ruined our plans to travel to Europe and elsewhere overseas for several years now. I’m very hesitant to plan any for this year either. But, besides taking several long trips in our RV again, we plan on flying out to visit our son and DIL in Augusta, as well as a trip to visit one of my brothers and SIL in Punta Gorda, FL.

Our daughter and her BF just moved back here from Dallas over Christmas (Yes!!!), so I imagine that I’ll be spending a lot of fun time helping her decorate their new place.

• llitm
    2 years ago

We recently had a Feb. cruise canceled. This included a lot of additional moving parts so we're regrouping and trying to put together something for later this spring. In Sept. we're tentatively planning to head to Europe for a 1-3 mos, stay which we'll play by ear upon arriving. We'll likely stay in one country to avoid Covid border crossing complications but that's also TBD. No home projects planned as we were able to accomplish landscaping project and bathroom remodel over the past couple of years. We very much enjoy being at home, exploring our state, hiking and bike riding so we're happy campers regardless of what future Covid complications hold.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

This week: birthday dinner celebrating a friend’s 65th.

Next week: driving down to our Florida house.

A long way off: DD’s wedding in the Maldives (2023)

• cawaps
    2 years ago

My sister and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in April. Big Island, with plans to visit the volcano and take a Fissure 8 tour, drive over the lava flow that we tried to hike over in 2018 (and gave up because we thought it was too risky; fresh lava is very sharp and unstable; there's a road now!). We are thinking 4 nights in a vacation rental in Puna and then 2 or 3 nights at a B&B near Captain Cook. I sent an email to my ex asking if it was okay to take my daughter for spring break. Cross your fingers for me that he says yes.

Northern Idaho for a family reunion in July seems likely.

Other than that, nothing is in the works yet, though I have a bunch of half-planned international trips that have been on hold because of covid. Planning and fantasizing are a substitute for doing.

• texanjana
    2 years ago

Fingers crossed that these happen:

February: 3 weeks in Jordan and Egypt including a Nile cruise (rescheduled from 2020).

March: Family Reunion in E TX with DH’s family. (Rescheduled from 2020).

Sept: 2 weeks Grand Teton and Yellowstone (a long put-off dream).

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Well, I’m feeling p!ssy because my two friends backed out of a trip to Sedona in May. I havent been away in ages and was looking forward to it. One friend and I have a trip to Iceland planned in September. Hope it happens.

The rest of my year looks like nothing fun. Trying to work up the courage to have rotator cuff repair surgery. Ugh. Id also like to have my downstairs powder room converted to a full bath and my screened porch enlarged to a year round sun room. Feels overwhelming, though. In the meantime I’ve been cleaning the basement. Talk about fun!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So interesting to hear what everyone has planned, however tentative it may be. Hopefully Covid will be manageable enough that we can enjoy some adventures this year - big or small.

• Kitchenwitch111
    2 years ago

My daughter is getting married in September in Ischia, Italy – an island off the coast of Naples. This past September my boyfriend and I were there with my adult kids & partners and ex & wife to start planning it – Ischia is their father’s family’s home and he spent many summers there with his mother when he was a child. My daughter has been there several times to visit family and she has always wanted her wedding there. It’s a lovely place but planning it is so complicated! I thought that a destination wedding would be easy since fewer guests would attend but guess what – so far over 125 people said they are coming so it’s going to be the real deal. Just hoping that Covid doesn’t derail this but so far all deposits and reservations are returnable and cancelable.

Here’s the venue set up for another wedding:

After the wedding in Ischia my boyfriend and I are planning to go to Paris for a few days before flying home. Really looking forward to that!

I might be posting in a few months about MOB dresses...

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OMG @Kitchenwitch111 - what a beautiful setting and what a grand adventure. Sure hope it all works out.

• Springroz
    2 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous!!!

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Gorgeous, Kitchenwitch!

All we have is some concerts booked. We are supposed to fly to Chicago next month for a show. We need to buy the plane tickets, but I know as soon as I do, it will get canceled or postponed. Also, bpath, anyone else, do you know of a black car service that can get us from the Hilton at ORD to Allstate arena.

Conference in San Diego in June, but once again, I have not made any plans to go yet and I am not presenting.

Sister and BIL have scheduled a Mass to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, also June.

• jakabedy
    2 years ago

I was planning to go to Kentucky in April/May to meet some old friends for a few days at the Land Rover Kentucky 3-day event, but it's looking like I have work and musical (maybe, COVID-dependent) conflicts arising that may scuttle that one.

I'll likely be on call over Christmas and/or New Year's this year, so there will be no Griswold Family Holiday Trip this year.

Summer will have a 2-weekish road trip to IL, WI and MN to see Frank Lloyd Wright sites and see my boyfriend's hometown, family, etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

How lovely, Kitchenwitch!

We have a few trips still waiting on the tarmac, as it were. A family snorkelling trip to Bonaire. Dubrovnik for just DH and I, probably in July, not sure. I don't know if I dare book Europe for the third Christmas in a row...

More house hunting. Looking for an apt for my DD's to share, too.

• Boopadaboo
    2 years ago

I don't want to plan any far trips this year so we have 2 -3 disney trips and some time on Lake Norman. I think I need to start working on DH now, I would like to go to Germany/Austria in 2023. I need to look up the best time of year to go. maybe summer so we can go two weeks.

• texanjana
    2 years ago

Wow-Kitchenwitch what a beautiful setting for a wedding!

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Well, our first ”trip” — to DD’s first meet this weekend — has now been cancelled bc she tested positive this morning. Arrrggghhhh.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

I'm so sorry @Sueb20. This "O" is just running rampant! How is she feeling?

• Lars
    2 years ago

We are trying to do some renovations to our kitchen in Cathedral City, and so far, I have replaced all the lighting and the kitchen table, but that is as far as I have gotten. I have done the plan view and elevation drawings for new cabinets, but I haven't been able to get anyone to bid on them yet, although I hope that will change when we go back in February. We really need to replace the lower cabinets, as we want new countertops, and we do not want to put those on the old cabinets, which are not in the best shape. I plan to paint the upper cabinets, and I might leave those as they are, unless I can replace them within our budget. I'll paint the lower cabinets while we are waiting for new ones, if those will take a long time, and I fear that they might. I already have the paint.

Kevin wants to go back to Cabo this year, and so we might do that. He's going to get his passport renewed next week, as it expired last month. Mine expires January of next year, and so I have a bit of time yet.

We've been lucky to have two houses to split our time between, and Kevin's work from home time has just been extended to include February, meaning that he will be able to spend that month with me in Cathedral City. I'm hoping that he will be able to help me somewhat with the painting project. I bought an electric paint sprayer, but I don't fully know how to use it yet, and we plan to strip the cabinet doors before we paint them, although I will not be spray painting the cabinet boxes and do not plan to strip those either, although I might change my mind about the stripping.

I'm still working on some revisions to my elevation drawings, and it's been tricky having to use two different programs for drafting. I have Draftsight here in L.A. (which I prefer), but I have to use TurboCad in Cathedral City, as that is what I have on my laptop, and I have not mastered that yet. Then I found out that it is difficult to edit drawings in Draftsight after I have edited them in TurboCad, due to settings changes for dimensions and drafting. It would have been easier if I had not used TurboCad at all, but eventually I might get used to it.

I'm very much looking forward to getting new cabinets, countertops, and colors in the CC kitchen.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Tina, thanks — no symptoms. That’s good but I think makes it even harder — if she felt sick, she’d at least feel like she didn’t want to compete!

• jill302
    2 years ago

We will be making a 3rd attempt at a trip to Seatte and an Alaskan cruise with family in late June. Crossing our fingers that it is a go this time. Have not booked any excursions yet, my daughter lost money on some of her 2020 excursion reservations so we are a bit gun shy.

Sometime over the summer 3 of my girl friends and I will be making a trip to the Central Coast (CA). We do a trip every year (excluding 2020), we decided we did not want to fly anywhere this year and we have not made this trip as a group.

DH and I will also be going on a trip with a group of friends next fall and hopefully a trip to Napa. I really would like to go to Europe, it may happen but it will most likely be 2023. Looking at my current plans and the things I hope to accomplish here and in the desert it is going to be a busy year, assuming we are moving in the right direction with the pandemic.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 years ago

SueB, do you mind sharing what Conference you DD competes in? Then we can vicariously travel with you in our minds to her meets!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

oh darn, Sue, so sorry to hear that about DD. Very frustrating.

• Indigo Rose
    2 years ago

RNmomof2 - Retirement this year for me as well, but unfortunately for me not until the end of the year. Lucky you to end right before summer!

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Oh, and lest I forget-- remember that slumber party/ baby shower that you all helped with the invitation? Well, it is this weekend. But it will be virtual. The disappointment ofnot having everyone gathered together for a weekend lasted a few hours--then it was on to plan B. Each guest has now received a shower box in the mail with two game components and a cool party favor. They also received two cards to fill out with advice to both mom and her soon-to-arrive son and envelopes to mail them back. There will be three of us here (including my dd) and of course there will be cake. Pictures to follow on Saturday.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Jojo, I am sure you will make it wonderful, Plus, pssst . you get DD almost all to yourself!

• jojoco
    2 years ago

Oh, Sue, that stinks . Im hoping your daughter remains symptom free

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

This thread is another reminder of what a time in history this is. Everything is impacted by covid.

Travel plans include a couple of road trips to see college kids and their sports this winter/spring. One is planning to study abroad in the fall, so I will visit wherever he ends up. I'm also planning a trip to New Orleans to visit a cousin. If Mtn likes snorkeling in Bonaire, I'm heading there, too!

No major house renos planned. But I've got 2 furniture projects I need to complete, or else get rid of them. I had a lot of decision fatigue in 2021 regarding my house, and I'm feeling more prepared to just get things done and move on.

I'm also considering some changes in my career this year, so that's going to be a primary focus.

To all of those expecting new family members and planning weddings, etc., congratulations! And to those with health issues, my best wishes.

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Sue, I'm sorry to hear that! You were so looking forward to that weekend getaway. I hope your daughter is doing ok. It seems like every day someone new here reports a positive test.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

DD is super resilient, fortunately, but it just s-cks.

Decided to add another ”fun plan” and paint our first floor powder room because, why not. The current color is pretty (BM Porcelain, which is a sort of grayed lavender ish color) but it really has no relationship to any other colors inside the house and I have been thinking a pale sky blue color would make me happy. We have turquoise/teal blue accents throughout the first floor. I painted the dining room last year and if this pandemic continues, I suppose I’ll be painting the living room next year!

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

Painting in on my list, also bathroom remodels. Fun, not so sure but needed. Been offered a trip to the beach but who knows. Also, family would like us to visit but again not sure. DH and I would like to get some travel in sometime but with responsibilities here it just hasn't worked out yet. I enjoy reading about everyone's plans though!