FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

WHITE in the garden

just for a change of pace.. lets skip the shrub peeps ... and add the rose peeps ... maybe they can chime in on the other color posts ...

and dont forget the dogwoods .... lol

ken

Comments (79)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 months ago

Thank you Oursteelers. it is beautiful

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    5 months ago

Here are my various whites. I hope to collect more.

• Feiy Lo (PNWZ8b)
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Some whites in my garden.

This one is my favorite.

• dianela7bnorthal
    5 months ago

All pictures here are gorgeous, white is my favorite color in the garden.

sweet-betsy your name tag says that you are in Alabama zone 7? How do you grow the white ginger lily, Hedychium coronarium?

I thought it would not survive my zone 7b and was so surprised to see it in your post, do you overwinter it inside or does it come back every year. I would love love to grow it.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 months ago

white is absolutely beautiful with all of the green in my woodland garden..❤

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    5 months ago

L Clark, if you mean the large flower with the bud, it is an epiphyllum, the night bloomer.

Dianela, I grow butterfly ginger outside in my garden with no special protection. It has come back faithfully for many years. I just need more sun for more bloom.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 months ago

Outstanding pics everyone! I especially enjoy seeing the ones I will never be able to grow. Sherry & rouge fabulous displays of Clematis & Hydrangea. BBc that Pachysandra flower is fantastic lol! Love Tyson and sleepy dog.

Achillea ptarmica 'The Pearl'

Actaea 'Cheju Do' & 'Brunette'

Actinidia kolomikta

Arabis

Astilbe 'Bridal Veil'

Allium tuberosum - Garlic chives good to eat & great for pollinators.

5 months ago

Aruncus aethusifolius, dioicus & 'Horatio'

C. 'Henryi'

Hibiscus m.

C. 'Mrs. George Jackman'

Daylily 'Cool It'

Dicentra 'Aurora'

5 months ago

Dictamnus

Echinacea

Do fungi count. I thought this was a nice one.

Geranium 'Album'

Gillenia t. one of my all time favorite plants.

Helleborus

Hepatica acutiloba

Iris s. 'Snow Queen'

Liatris 'Floristan White'

Lily of the Valley in a pot - the only way it is allowed.

5 months ago

I really did not think I had this much.

Lysimachia clethroides. I like this thug so much but have removed most.

Narcissus

Duchesse de Nemours

Phlox 'David'

Supposed to be 'Festiva Maxima' but it is not.

Phlox 'Mt. Fuji'

Phlox s. 'Amazing Grace'

Platycodon seedling under P. 'Hakone Blue'. I was quite surprised.

5 months ago

Last few.

Rosa 'Swany'

Tiarella w. Not much left of it. I find them relatively short lived.

Salvia 'Schneehugel'

Persicaria polymorpha is another favorite.

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    5 months ago

Cherry Tree

Snowball Viburnum

Spirea

• sandyslopes z5b n. UT
    5 months ago

daylily

hydrangea

hosta flower

Petunias

Iceberg Roses

• HU-45580804
    5 months ago

Normally, I don’t grow white flowers unless they’re strongly scented, but this little plant was the only one to make it to flowering from a packet of aster seeds for mixed colours.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 months ago

5 months ago

Gorgeous!

Can't believe I forgot about Climbing hydrangea.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    5 months ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA Love that little crocus patch, they're one of my absolute favorite bulbs and I have them in lots of colors! And your second photo is incredible. I love it.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    5 months ago

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 months ago

MMagpie - I enjoy that photo too. You take enough photos you get a couple that are better than you thought they were going to be. That Hydrangea is 'Little Lime' with Agastache 'Honey Bee Blue' in front of it.

I love Crocus too but something keeps eating a lot of my crocus. A lot have disappeared around the property except in one area under a large Maple that has a thick planting of Vinca. For some reason I never lose any crocus there and they reseed well. That particular white crocus is 'Jeanne d'Arc'.

I remember a couple more white plants....

Can't forget the winter white in the garden.... [g]

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    5 months ago

prairiemoon2, what is the plant in the middle. The flowers look like columbine but the leaves are different.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 months ago

GG - The first plant is a Japanese Jack in the Pulpit, that I lost a couple of years ago. I was very sad. I haven't replaced it yet. I haven't seen it available, but I'm sure if I was looking I could find it. I think the one you are asking about in the second photo is epimedium. I think the variety is 'Bandit'.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    5 months ago

prairiemoon2 - the Japanese Jack in the Pulpit is pretty cool, I may consider that one for my yard.

peren.all - does the Gillenia need consistently moist soil, or will it tolerate some dryness? Your Persicaria polymorpha is impressive - I tried one years ago, but it tended to be "floppy" and was susceptible to Japanese beetles so I decided to remove it. The J beetles haven't been too bad in recent years though.

A few woodies and a fungus:

Fothergilla 5/7/21

Lantanaphyllum viburnum flowerhead detail 5/15/21

Buttonbush 7/10/21

Some type of coral fungus 7/15/21

5 months ago

prairiemoon those white Crocus are stunning. Pity you lost your Jack.

arbordave (SE MI) once established Gillenia is quite drought tolerant. Giving it partial shade would help if your soil is dry. I have never watered mine but my soil is moisture retentive. It is a magnet for Eastern Tiger Swallowtails. I do hope you try again with the P. polymorpha. Knock on wood Japanese beetles have never been an issue here. Do you think yours flopped from getting too much shade?

• arbordave (SE MI)
    5 months ago

My P polymorpha was in sun about 3/4 of the day, so I assume that wasn't the issue. Maybe it had a little too much rain those few years it was in my garden(?)

Has anyone posted a white trillium yet?

• woodyoak
    5 months ago

arbordave - oooh white trilliums are one of my favorite things! They are the provincial flower of Ontario and they do well here. There is a nearby woodlot that is carpeted with them in May that serves as my role model for growing them :-) This is a picture that DH took quite a few years ago of our poodle in the woods there in May:

and this is the best of our trillium areas in the garden:

There are red trilliums in the garden too - across the path from the white ones in the pictures above. They are not as vigorous here as the white ones. I suspect maybe soil acidity is a factor as they were the common type where I grew up on the east coast of Canada. This is an old picture now but the best of the few pictures I have of them:

• arbordave (SE MI)
    5 months ago

woodyoak - that last photo would be a great one to post in the "RED in the garden" thread. We see red trilliums in a few places here. Painted trilliums also occur in my area but are rare (no photos of my own).

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 months ago

I ran across this one this morning and always loved the way the light hit it.

Casa Blanca Lily

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 months ago

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/MA
    5 months ago

White garden ...

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 months ago

tThats the only white I have in my garden as well!!. This s one of the best posts ever as white is such a restful colour. I lost all my pics in the hack, but will try to take some of my maypops and trillium with the various mock orange, spirea, dogwood and rose of Sharon. That the majority of white non-roses in my yard.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

You gotta love the white bark of paper birch on a crisp winter day (2/18/22)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    4 months ago

Those birch trees are gorgeous!

:)

Dee

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    13 days ago

bump.. anything new this season?

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    13 days ago

A new plant for me. Sneezewort in its second season. Five gallon bucket for scale.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I am glad this was bumped up because I'd forgotten about how many beautiful gardens and plants are on this thread. I seem to love white flowers too.

Oakleaf Hydranga this week....

I had a photo of Gray dogwood above when it has berries and these are the flowers before the berries. This is only a branch of a very large shrub. I'll take a photo of the larger shrub when more of the flowers are open. The birds love the berries.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    8 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Speaking of dogwood, the rose named dogwood sold by ARFR is delightful--it's like a single version of Jacqueline du Pre....or a white version of Dainty Bess (excuse the droopiness it's really hot out)

• mazerolm_3a
    7 days ago

Immortality iris:

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    7 days ago

Oooooooh that white iris is exquisite

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    7 days ago

Does Immortality really rebloom?

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

A cold, wet spring seemed to hamper many of my plants but a few shrubs exploded in bloom

gardenia

hydrangea

snowball viburnum

others who put on a show

magnolia

double file viburnum

• mazerolm_3a
    7 days ago

@prairiemoon2 z6b MA: Immortality does rebloom in many gardens, but my summers are too short for it to happen.

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    6 days ago

@sweet_betsy No AL Z7 love the Magnolia!

I really like my White Eden, but my most facorite white thing in the garden is my white standard poodle named Lala.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    6 days ago

Lala is lovely lol. Sweet betsy such wonderful photos!

I have a white iris that I think may be Immortalilty. It was beautiful this year, if a bit sparse. I know it's not much but really the pictures don't do it justice.

My White Dome Hydrangea is jussst starting to bloom

Feverfew gone wild. The first pic is Virgo, a cute little button of a bloom

My mockorange, deliciously fragrant but for only the second or third time in 20 years. It keeps getting a reprieve lol

Calycanthus Venus

Montauk daisies from last season

Here's a mystery. My grandmother gave me this rose when I moved in this house 27 years ago. I never really loved it because it was CORAL colored. It was in a bad spot but I was afraid to move it because I didn't want to lose it because it was from her. Finally got the nerve two years ago to move it. It did fine, is thriving in its new spot... and blooms white. Huhhhh?

:)

Dee

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Oakleaf Hydrangea, again, with all the blooms fully open.

Gray dogwood. If anyone is looking for a native shrub that seems to require nothing to perform year after year, in a dark corner in the shadow of a 50 year old Silver Maple, this might be one to consider. I tried to grow a lot of plants in this corner and just had to keep replacing them when they didn't thrive. I planted this as a very small shrub and in two years it was quite sizeable. Now it is filling that corner. Which is the one drawback, it travels and spreads out. If you have a place for it to do that, you're all set. I don't, so every other fall or so, I just do an investigation around the edges and pull out small new stems that I can't accomodate. I find them easy to get out and the job only takes me less than 20 minutes. Some people get red foliage in the Fall, but I get yellow for some reason.

This is covered with blooms which will turn into white small berries that the birds happily strip as soon as they are ripe. And that is in a LOT of shade!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 days ago

Beautiful. I have a dwarf red osier dogwood that does the same. Its stangling itss neighboring Aronia. Ill have to move them I think. They also have lovely white Spring flowers.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 days ago

Not a fan of white in the garden but here are the rare ones that manage to sneak in