SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gree06

Need help picking tile for kitchen floor!

G Marlow
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello! We recently moved into a new home and will be remodeling the kitchen in the Spring. The kitchen, mudroom and powder room all share the same tile and while we would like to keep these areas tiled, we are looking to change them. Here are the pictures of the spaces. I do not have a picture of the powder room (off of the mudroom) but it's pretty basic and has the same tile floor.

The house is a cape cod style house with traditional elements and architecture. The idea for the kitchen is English inspired with modern functionality. I would love to use natural stone floors (i.e. limestone, travertine or slate), but between our budget and the upkeep that's required to maintain natural stone, we've decided to go with a porcelain tile that looks like stone. I'm usually the kind of person who doesn't like things trying to pretend like they're something else, but in this case, I'm totally OK going in the porcelain tile route. We've chosen the tile we like and have narrowed it down to two colors. Important to note is that we will be re-finishing the floors and both stair cases in a medium brown stain that isn't red like what you see above.

Here are pictures of the tiles with sample of our kitchen finishes. The white-ish tile at the top of each picture is Cle zellige tile in weathered white. That's what we will be using for our backsplash and hood. The sample on the left is what our island will be - it will be black stained white oak with beadboard panels. And the sample on the right will be the permiter cabinet color which is Benjamin Moore Creamy White.

The first of the tile is a black/dark grey color that looks like slate. I am drawn to this because I love a moody kitchen. I think this tile would add some drama and make a statement. I worry that this tile can make my kitchen look too dark.

The second tile is a beige color that looks like travertine. I feel like this is a pretty choice, but is it too "safe"?

Please help me make a decision! Thank you

Comments (6)