Harpoon

High Society

Holy Mole

Hudson Bay

• Related Discussions

Hosta Companion Plants 2021

Q

Comments (43)
    I have just rekindled by love of heuchera! Here are 3 that I have had for a few years. Top left is a NOID; to the right of it is Tiramisu (a beautiful coloring in the spring, kind of orangy?, then turning to yellow); center is Forever Purple which the grubs got. I was able to salvage one stem. A shame. Top right is Bowles Golden Sedge. Tiramisu heuchera in the spring. Frost heuchera (a mini). One that I just love. This color in the spring is almost metalic like. Dwarf Goatsbeard. The only picture I took of it this year was this photo in November. I liked its coloring!
    ...See More

Hosta Flowers 2021 ......................

Q

Comments (30)
    Wow, I love all these flowers shown here they are just another thing I love about hostas. Here are some shots of my flowers. Blazing Saddles Bulletproof Empress Wu Fried Bananas Gold Regal Grand Tiara Guacamole Halcyon June Knockout Komodo Dragon - I love how this looks before the buds open Lakeside Paisley Print Midnight at the Oasis Praying Hands Summer Breeze, Harpoon, Regal Splendor, Fried Green Tomatoes
    ...See More

Hosta Giants 2021 ...............................

Q

Comments (21)
    Debra very nice! utog such a big beautiful EA leaf. old_dirt how could we possibly tire of perfection. mbug gorgeous. sweet_betsy it is so impressive that FW does not burn in Al.
    ...See More

Hosta minis 2021 .................

Q

Comments (26)
    Late again, i know "the mini list" goes by leaf size, but I just throw the little ones in to a big pot and call them minis. Clockwise from back left corner: Fruit Loops, Fantasy Island, Coconut Custard, Pixie Vamp, Cookie Crumbs. And when they start to crowd, they get thrown into the garden and replaced in the pot with my "miniaturized" Hosta from the garden. The little ones like the breathing room. Clockwise from top: Coconut Custard, Lakeside Banana Bay, Smiley Face, Cookie Crumbs, Pixie Vamp. Clockwise from top: (not so mini) Dinner Mint, Yippee, Li'l Smooch, Cherry Tart, Crumb Cake and Kaleidoscope in the middle. Dinner Mint gets moved to the garden and Kaleidoscope moves to the edge. A new mini pot last year. CW from top: Platinum Tiara, Cracker Crumbs, Cameo, Silver Tongued Devil, Lemon Kiss. And overflow minis planted last year. CW from top: Hacksaw, Faithful Heart, Little Miss Sunshine.
    ...See More
  • jocl17
    2 years ago

Hoosier Dome

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Paula, I didn’t fall for it this year!

Halcyon is steady all season, May thru September progression, Ripple Effect, grown in hot part sun, 5 hours afternoon sun.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Heather Hill for first two, then Hovercraft for next two.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Hans, which may have died on me this year. Heat Wave, an awesome guy.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Gardenchick nice recovery on Holy Mouse Ears, my Praying Hands took awhile to get going, it seams to like more sun then I originally gave it.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    2 years ago

HOLY MOLE

HOOSIER DOME

HOLLYWOOD LIGHTS

HIGH SOCEITY

HAPPY DAYZ

• gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

my Praying Hands took awhile to get going, it seams to like more sun then I originally gave it.

Beth: does Praying Hands get flowers? If so, maybe you can post a pic of them in the P thread.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Happy Dayz is simply wonderful from the moment it unfurls until it goes dormant. I have 2 and bought another for my MIL last year. It can grow in part to full sun here in 7b.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Sunny, I love all of yours. That Happy Dayz looks great!

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Joc, great Hoosier Dome specimen!

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Beth, Harpoon is new to me, quite lovely. And I’m glad I already ordered Hudson Bay, else your photo would have sent me shopping again. Wonderful!

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

Halcyon

Humpback Whale- I moved it in more sun. I will monitor to make sure the noon sun is alright . But so far , seems to be doing the trick

I bought Hudson Bay- I didn't get a picture of it. Beth - nice Hudson Bay. how old is yours? I am just anxious to see it get to its mature size!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Paula things that make you go hmmm and the menu is great. That cat really gets around.

Saija that Hydon Sunset has such dark flowers, What a wonderful contrast with the foliage.

Beth Harpoon is terrific.

jocl17 & sunnywood very nice Hoosier Dome.

gardenchick pity you don't care too much for HU because it is doing well for you. I remember the recovery of HME, what a journey it has had. Looks happy.

utog loving Hovercraft.

sunnywood Hollywood lights gets to me every time I see it.

Shadow we were posting at the same time. Great to see your Humpback Whale. I wanted to get it planted but space would not allow.

Halcyon

Hanky Panky

Her Eyes Were Blue 1st year. Sorry about the dirt on the leaves.

Hands Up just planted. This is the third time I have planted it. The first 2 times a chipmunk burrowed right beside and killed them.

Holy Mouse Ears

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

Paula..that outlet is shocking!..😂

I have Halcyon and Honeybells..and not a good pic of either!..both pics from May 17 2020..

Honeybells is above the Fire Island with Palace Purple heuchera on the right..I love Honeybells..has a pretty vase shape and wonderful fragrant blooms..

a reverting June with an up and coming Halcyon..

I have a normal Halcyon somewhere..not sure of my Blue Cadet, Fragrant Blue and Halcyon locations..I plan to research it this summer..

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Nice posts everyone!

Halcyon 6-21-21....out growing its space

Hands Up 7-21-21

Heatwave 6-6-21

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Holar Purple Flash ,,,,new one...looking forward to getting it planted in the spring.

Honey Pie 5-25-21

Hovercraft 6-3-21....going to have to clear some space for this guy

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Happy Dayz again, Hunny Bunny (Honey Bunny?) coming home from Bob Solberg’s Green Hill Farm, Hunny Bunny with Honey Bear together for last two.

• hosta_maker
    2 years ago

High five

is a streaked antioch, settles out fast so its always in a back and forth of cutting it back.

seedlings from holar purple flash. not really an improvement as the blue burns off fast and like the mother purple flashes briefly. ive got alot of plants that dont make the cut but im not ready to give away yet yet.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Paula, in the first joke, my husband said “someone messed up!” (I had use an expletive myself!) haha; keep the tuxedo cat jokes coming……. the little tongue out while selling the dog cracked me up!! I really appreciate all the effort you put into collecting the jokes which brighten all of our days! Why is it you never post any of your hostas???

I knew Halcyon would be the most common hosta here. It is so interesting to see how it looks in all the different gardens. The 2 I like best here are Beth’s in bloom and peren’s—-love the color of her’s.

Saija, beautiful Holy Mole…..such soft colors. Hydon Sunset reminds me of Munchkin Fire. Interested to know if they are related……….they’re not

Beth, Hudson Bay is a beauty….. love those large leaves. How old is the hosta?

Jocl17, your Hoosier Dome is such a great looking hosta. I love the dinner plate leaves with the small ruffle.

Gchick, I remember well your Holy Mouse Ears journey. It made a remarkable comeback! I have Praying Hands and it didn’t look like much or flower until it’s 5-6th year when it filled out and finally flowered. Hands Up is probably similar. Give it time.

Utog, that Hover Craft is stunning…..I’m tempted. Love the color of Heat Wave in the spring. Nice Happy Dayz progression.

Sunnywood, love your High Society…..it’s one I have been thinking of getting.I like your mature Happy Dayz——it shows the wave nicely.

Shadow, love that Humpback Whale!! The big round light green leaves are very appealing.

Peren, wish my Halcyon was as blue as yours…..very nice progression on Hanky Panky. I also like the wavy leaves and purple petioles (?) on Her Eyes We’re Blue.

Nw, I can see both H’s in your picture. How is Honeybells differ from Royal Standard? They look so much the same to me. And don’t feel bad, I have a couple hostas I didn’t get photos of…..for some reason…..it’s not surprising you have a June reverting to Halcyon…..that’s how I got mine. But then that Halcyon, is partially sporting to June. You will see in my photo.

Mbug, I am interested to see how that Purple Holar Flash does for you. I have been eyeing it. And your Hovercraft is such a lovely soft blue/green. Love that!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Hosta_maker that High Five is a beautiful streaker and I would take either of those seedlings!!
    debra

2 years ago

Debra yes the scapes of Her Eyes Were Blue are speckled with purple. I am looking forward to this one maturing.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Ok, my few Hs:

How’s this for a chang??

Holy ME 5/12/21

I have a Hanky Panky as well, but did not get a pic of it…… :-(

debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Funny ones, Paula! The plug looks like something that happened at my Mom's house. I also clicked twice, and the cat trying to sell the dog, lol!

Nice Halcyon's everyone!

Saija, Hydon Sunset, what a cutie.

Gardenchick, Good to see your HME bouncing back. Too often my rescues go the other way.

utog, Heatwave is a looker!

sunnywood, beautiful colors on your High Society.

Hollywood Lights is getting to be a pretty good size.

Happiness is a nice little blue.

2 years ago

debra..years ago ademink said she thought my Honeybells was a Royal Standard..I didn't argue but it was labeled Honeybells..I remember and have the tag..maybe mislabeled?

my Royal Standards were a gift from someone's garden..they told me they were RS..here's one..

to me the leaves of Honeybells grow upwards more than RS..

are you saying there's a Halcyon in the same pic with the Fire Islands and Honeybells?..could be..I don't know the ID of the one near the center of the pic to the right of the Fire Islands..to me it doesn't seem blue enough for Halcyon 🤔..does Halcyon emerge blue/green?..

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Paula, My first thought of that outlet was, I think i could still get a two prong plug in there.

Holy Mole

Halcyon

Hadspen Blue - New division from an old root bound plant.

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

A few more

Hudson Bay

High Society

Honeybells

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Y’all are killing me with these beautiful High Society hostas.

• n2hostas (Kansas)
    2 years ago

MY hostas are Chief's fans...They are snug underground watching football. (I kept it hosta related :) )

2 years ago

n2hostas..that's funny!!..my hostas are Colts fans..I hope they're not too embarrassed to show their face and refuse to come up in the spring 😂..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

Paula, I've never had a cat or a dog, but I had to laugh at the cat selling the dog joke!

That "Menu" joke is a really cute one! My daughter liked it too!

Saija and Peren.all, your Hanky Panky's are just perfect! How easy is it to grow? (You are making it very hard not to put it on my wish list!)

Gardenchick, that is a remarkable comeback for Holy Mouse Ears! Fantastic!

Sunnywood, your High Society is a winner!

Old dirt, that Hudson Bay is perfection!

I am convinced I need a Halcyon now!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Glad my Hosta are not Steeler fans (like me). Then they would do next to nothing for the first half only to come on strong at the end to finish in a blaze of glory. Technically, that's the Steelers, not the fans. Which may be why I usually wait until the end to post my Hosta pics. Or maybe they really are Steeler fans and they won't let me post (play) until the second half. No, no, that's the coaches. That's it. My Hosta are Steeler coaches.

2 years ago

"Half" the size last year so we are making a comeback! (Thinned Forget me not seedlings surround.)

Hands Up. Sorry, not a fan. Slow growing. I'll remove it from this pot this coming season and plant it in the ground somewhere. As you can see, this pot is having difficulty with some of the plants (they disappeared) except for the Church Mouse!

Hans center right. Doing OK. One of the eyes was small. Crown damage?

High Society

2 years ago

I like this Hosta more than most greens with a white/cream edge. Like a lot of Steeler fans this morning, they are a Happy Camper.

This Hosta has always looked and grown great for me. Hopefully, the rest of the football season will be Happy Dayz for the Steelers.

Hawaiian Luau - mid June and end of July.

Hawk Eye

Man, I took a lot of pics of Hanky Panky (and friends) this year. I'll have to sort them out later. Meanwhile, here's how the Steeler's season will most likely end next week in Heartache.

All of the High Society pics look great, particularly, sw's.

2 years ago

Another subtle variegation Hosta that gets more contrast by June 2nd.

Holar Purple Flash - probably wouldn't even be arrested for this much flashing.

Hanky Panky emerging with early Holy Mole. Why isn't it Holy Moly or Moley or Hole' Mole'?

and then 2 weeks later

Hot Kiss which is the opposite colors from Full Frontal when it emerges with no color switcheroo. The edges do go blue when the wax develops.

My Hover Craft is diminishing (probably due to tree roots) while a seedling from the previous year is going strong.

How About That

2 years ago

Wow so many more beauties.

nhl Hanky Panky is super easy and quite a fast grower. Mine gets sun until at least 1:30 - 2:00.

2 years ago

Thanks peren.all. It's going on the wish list! And it's a small so there's got to be room somewhere!

• hostalover1967
    2 years ago

Hillbilly Blues. I've had this one for at least 15 years and it's been divided multiple times.

Hush Pupp7. New for me in 2021, and half-eaten by rabbits.

Heavenly Tiara. Also new last year.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

UOG, Debra and Shadow I purchased my Hudson Bay in 2017 from a local nursery. It didn't grow much till the last 2 years. So I guess it takes a bit to get going.

Pernall great picture of Holy Mouse Ears, it looks very happy in your garden.

Steve - your "How about that" is looking great

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Just a quick football comment since it was such a crazy day yesterday. I couldn’t even fall asleep until 3:30 this morning because I was so jittery.

Too many games with too much happening, so wild.

All I started the day wanting was for TJ to get the sack record but insanity ensued…

I’m under no illusions about my team but still…they get your hopes up even when you KNOW better!

Hopefully I can sleep tonight and can go back to looking for my hosta pics tomorrow-today I was just a zombie🤦🏻‍♀️

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Thanks, we will see…….have to win in the playoffs at Green Bay in late Jan. So we Packer fans always pray for cold cold weather!! 😂

Also, I am so hostaed-up that I have no idea what comment I made…..unless I noted a hosta coming up not too far from your FIs and wondered what it was……🤪

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Hovercraft in bloom

2 years ago

a football comment..my team didn't even make the playoffs..

debra and oursteelers - I'm sorry your teams didn't make it to the Superbowl..

but enjoy the Superbowl..

then get ready for spring 🌷..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

There were so many great games, if the Steelers can’t be in the Superbowl at least there has been good football.

I’m voting for the Rams-Stafford deserves it for all his years in Detroit and who doesn’t love Aaron Donald?!?!

2 years ago

I'd like for the Rams to win too..I agree that Stafford deserves a ring for all of those years in Detroit..

great playoff games..

decided to wait awhile to mention the Steelers and Packers losses 🙁..

the Packers loss was surprising..