SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyde10

Room make over- need help

happyde10
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello all, we have started shopping around for couches and chairs to fit our living room space and I came across these pieces. Do you think these will go well together in our space.

Comments (117)

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

I don't think the recliner will work with the darker color sofa you just posted. It's too close to the same color without being the same color. I do love the camel sofa color, though. Does that company make a recliner in the same leather?
    Or, have you thought about doing a totally different recliner color? Like maybe a navy or darker /olive green leather?
    Or you could chose the lighter cream leather sofa and the recliner you posted.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for those . Still trying to decide which one to pick .

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I saw there is are recliner cover that you can use, I am thinking if that can help with heavy use if I go with fabric recliners

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I deleted that last one. Now that I see all that together. I think you should stick with all warmish colors, not the gray in the other fabric recliner. Nice visual. I really like the light leather sofa with the accent chairs you found and the camel colored leather recliner.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

The darker sofa looks really nice with the fireplace too! Tough decision. If it were me choosing, I would go with the lighter one. Just because I like that more transitional style rather than the MCM. But you might like the heavier nod to mid century style.

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

Either one of the groups you posted will look great with the fireplace. I'm drawn to the darker sofa group, but it all hinges in the recliner choice. 
    Have you given any thought to another color recliner? I don't know your budget but these are from West Elm. They have a lot of different leather choices. Here's their green and their navy.

happyde10 thanked Amy Lynn
  • happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank You so much. I like the brown sofa too, but I dont think I can pull off a MCM vibe. We have an open floor plan and our kitchen has dark cabinets and sort of dark granite.. I'm thinking the lighter shade goes well too..

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

Ahhh, very helpful to see what else you're working with. I agree that going full on MCM isn't what you probably want. I would stick with the more transitional look. But that doesn't mean you can't have an MCM inspired piece thrown in there.

happyde10 thanked Amy Lynn
  • Cecilia
    2 years ago

Agreed Amy!

happyde10 thanked Cecilia
  • happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great! Thank You, I will see what I can come up with.. :)

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

You know, there is a matching armchair with that leather sofa set. I wonder if your Mom would be up for a leather chair and an ottoman as opposed to a recliner? With a lumbar pillow on the chair and an ottoman it would be a very comfortable seat. Similar to reclining.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Those are nice options! I will show her these and see what she would like.. :)

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Our furniture is all taken today. I am attaching some photos of the empty open space now. I asked a few friends about fabric sofas and they all have had good experience. I have been looking around furniture shops. Seeing this whole space, do you still think our sofa, chairs and recliner idea would work? Our cabinets are really dark mahagony color . Does the chair color have to match the tv console and coffee table? Thanks in advance

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One more

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Looks so open! Also looks like you could use a larger rug in the room. Yes, I think fabric sofa work well too as long as you find one with a good quality fabric.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

My sister owns this sofa from Rooms to Go and let me tell you it is extremely comfy and indestructible. And pretty! And these are some pieces that go with it.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. I have never purchased from roomstogo and the website doesn’t show any reviews . So it was hard to decide. Thank you for those. All the rugs I have got is 8X10s . :).

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I know! It stinks they dont have reviews. Looks like you might be able to fit a 9 x 12. You could make this rug work if you'd like though.

• P Banos
    2 years ago

You can have wool broadlooms cut to size and serged as area rugs. In my town a high-end rug store sells remnants at a significant discount that make great area rugs. In this way you can have a large rug cut to your perfect size.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all. I can’t make one more furniture mistake. So really being careful and doing all research this time

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Good idea!

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Found this sofa, very comfortable. Has good reviews too..

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Do you have a pic?

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I posted the photo, its not appearing. Let me try again

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I do like that sofa. Can I ask, do you have kids or pets at home? I am afraid this won't wear super well if you do.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No pets, I have a 7 year old. :). I'm not sure about that either, but I found a similar product that said its holding up well.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Ok, well if you think your 7 year old will be be good aboout keeping food and shoes off of it then it's probably good. I have 4 young kids, 2 cats and a dog so I am forced to think thorougly about these things. :) . How many people do you need ot sit in that room at any given time, or most of the time?

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It will be just her mostly. My mom uses the recliner . Me and my husband are not into Tv much and rarely sit there .. lol

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Did you find any chair or recliners that you like to go with that sofa?

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not yet , still in the process 😄

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thinking about this chair. This is the height that I was looking for

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

That chair is great! I think it would like nice in your room and with the sofa you are looking at. Do you think you might get a pair of chairs to go with your sofa?

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank You very much! Yes I am getting 2 😌

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The recliner I was looking for went out of stock and will come back only next year.. :(... everything I look at has this chunky appearance that I do not like and my Mom wants a recliner and recliner only...lol.. have you seen a simple style anywhere?

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I found this one at Kirklands that look like it could work with the chairs and sofa and has more of the blue colors in the sofa pillows. THis is from Kirklands.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I think if you went with that recliner though I would replace the blue plaid pillows with something more solid. Maybe something like this.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh Kirklands, I didn think of that store.. I will check. Thanks

so much :)

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

And if you went down the blue road

, it would be nice to get a new rug and curtains to tie it all together. Here is a rug that I think could tie all the pieces together well.

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We got the furniture assembled . The sofa is slightly different in style as my tall husband liked the one with arms. It’s the same color that I posted earlier though. Getting a rug soon and thinking what kind of coffee table to get

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Adding photos

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! They all look great individually, I wasnt sure if they look good together. :)

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I got a rug and coffee table. Not sure about the coffee table though.. :).

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I love them both! Especially the rug!! Gorgeous. You are doing great!

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you very much! I needed that :)

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

Haven't checked in for awhile. So happy to see you making some real progress with these great choices! You should be so proud of yourself for pulling things together!

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks much! I am
    Not sure if I am happy with the coffee table color . I love it but not sure how well it goes with everything. I sure can return and try another one .. still trying to decide. :)

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

It does appear to be a little on the orange side, but that could just be the camera tone. My other thought on the coffee table is the size. Hard to tell in the photos, but is it big enough for the area?

• happyde10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s not as orangey in real, but kind looks so matchy with the rug. The size is good .