SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malia92

How to layout a long narrow living room with a fireplace?

Katie M.
2 years ago

We live in a small-ish home (around 1300 sq. ft) and the living room is the biggest room of the house. It is long and narrow with a bay window and a fireplace, but it is also a pass-through room between the entryway and the kitchen. I have tried to lay it out with zones - a living area in the middle, my son's desk and toy storage at the end (his bedroom is super tiny and there is no room for a desk in there) and sort of a decorative seating area by the bay window. I want to add more seating for entertaining, maybe with a sectional sofa and/or a pair of chairs and a smaller coffee table. The previous owners had the couch against the back wall, but then you would need to walk around and back to get to the kitchen entry, which is on the right-hand side. Maybe that's better? I would also love to have a better reading area with a lamp, maybe two chairs and a side table

by the window would work, but I'm worried about blocking the picture window? I thought about adding a built-in bench with drawers there, but the windowsill seems too low (only 15" high) to give us much storage. It also feels a little empty to me, do I need a bigger rug? And our house is seriously lacking storage (build in 1920 with tiny closets) so I have some thought of creating built-ins with shelves, a cabinet and desk along the wall where my son's desk is now. I don't know, it's an awkward room, but but I need to maximize the space and flow somehow. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)