SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

ideas for cheap heaters?

daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Now that we have an occasional cold front coming down, with not-so-hard freezes (geez, I hope we won't get an iceberg freeze like last year!), I like to keep my frost-sensitive plants above 32F. I usually just put a tarp over them, with a couple of incandescent lights inside. Incandescent lights are getting hard to find, and will be increasingly hard to find! Heat tape/cable is pretty pricey, compared to incandescent bulbs. When you buy them, the latter cost a few pennies per watt. The former costs more like a dollar per watt, and don't put out that many watts (something like 7 watts per foot). I don't really understand why that should be so. Now, it is true that heat tape is probably more reliable than an incandescent bulb. Cheap space heaters are VASTLY too powerful. Any suggestions for cheap, simple plant heating strategies? I'm looking for 50-100W.

It's really amusing that online ads for heat tape/cables/mats often don't even specify the wattage that they put out, though they somehow assure you that they will keep your stuff toasty.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH