SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

My Granger poster arrives today! An art story (long) …

Jilly
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

When I was a child, my dad would take me to a fish and chips place in our city, Arlington, Texas. It was the mid-1970s, and the place was decorated in a very casual, naturally hippy style. Artsy textiles and prints, sprawling plants everywhere, macrame, great rock and folk music playing. I loved it. And I really loved the fried eggplant. Anyway …

There was an art print on the wall that my dad and I were mesmerized by. We’d always study it, wondering what in the world it represented. It certainly wasn’t like our decor at home, but we loved it, and over the years would sit at the table nearest it, like visiting an old friend.

Eventually that location closed, but the original in Fort Worth stayed open. I kind of forgot it was there and rarely went. When I did, I wondered what happened to the strange Granger poster.

Fast forward … my DH moves here from LI, and as we drove by Zeke’s one day, I said hey, you need to try this place. We go in.

Still old decor. Still same menu. You order at the counter as soon as you step in the door.

We go on through to the dining section, and …. no way. The Granger poster is on the wall!! I nearly cheered out loud, and told DH why I was so excited. He agreed it was very interesting and compelling. The tradition started again — go to Zeke’s, enjoy lunch, visit the Granger.

Well, last time we went, it was gone. No one knew where it went. The founder is still running the place, but wasn’t there. Maybe he took it home, or sold it, or something?

I decided one day to look it up, just to try to save a picture so I wouldn’t forget it. I discovered not many images of it exist. But then …

I see one for sale on Ebay! I bid, it’s rejected. Bid again, rejected. Bid one more time — MINE.

And it gets here today! I called my dad and he was so excited. He said he loved watching me looking at it as a kid, and how we’d muse about it.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Here it is. I’m certain it’s not anything like you’re expecting, and more certain nobody will like it. I understand totally. But I’m so giddy! :D

Comments (50)