SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
l_m_w

New year, new home projects?

Lindsey R.
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Weston Bauhaus · More Info

What home project(s) are you tackling in 2022?

Tell us about your plans in the comments!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

We are thinking about detached garage and outdoor kitchen. We got new upper kitchen cabinets, now need quartz countertop instead existing granite one. This granite one goes for outdoor kitchen.

• Denise Sorber
    2 years ago

A continuation of the remodel we started with in fall 2020: upgrade electrical in the garage, add electrical in the new foyer addition, spray foam insulation in both spaces, drywall in both spaces, then trim and finishes in the foyer. Some day I will be able to use my front door again...

• Related Discussions

Starting the New Year with a special wind chime project

Q

Comments (2)
    Unbelieveable - that's not a wind chime - that's a huge work of art! What a beautiful creation you've made... thanks for sharing it and keeping your resolution
    ...See More

New Years Day Project 2012

Q

Comments (12)
    Looks good. I have one question though...why not plant it directly into the ground? Many DF orchards in Thailand now have stopped using any type of top working support. They just put a post into the ground and allow the plant to hang on its own. Also keeping the posts at about 4 feet max. Saves a lot of labor on constructing and maintaining of the support structures as well as labor for picking. Warren and I were both skeptical over this until we started seeing more mature plantings. After being pruned, they formed a natural waterfall of branches that supported themselves very well. But I also believe this application is more suited to the orchards versus home plantings... unless space is a consideration.
    ...See More

New Year New Home

Q

Comments (4)
    I think an average seller would not hold a house until July if it is listed now. You may find an exception, i.e., a seller who is building a new house that will be completed this summer. Or you can put in an offer with the closing date of July. A seller may accept it with the contingency that if another offer comes in that he likes better he can accept it, with a 24-48 hour notice to you. Within that 24-48 hours you have the right to remove your July closing date contingency and buy the house. If you don't choose to do that then the owner can sell the house to the other buyer. In this scenario the house is sometimes referred to as "bumpable" so realtors and buyers will know there's an accepted offer on the house but a better offer (more money, fewer contingencies, etc) can supersede it. Do you think you need 5 months to find a house? I moved out of state in late November with the goal of moving into another house by March 1. I found us a house sooner than expected and now we're moving into it January 19. So you may find the "perfect" house within a month and be disappointed if the owner won't hold it until July.
    ...See More

New 1 year project quilt started, HoopSisters Sewn Seeds

Q

Comments (15)
    calverttx, unfortunately, HoopSisters doesn't make their patterns available for sale except to authorized dealers for the first 2 years. After that, you will be able to purchase it. They have some older patterns you can purchase if you see one you like. I did the Feathered Star quilt about 2 years ago.
    ...See More
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Mostly furniture and room upgrades versus actual home improvement projects...at least for now. LOL.

• granny4ten
    2 years ago

Garage floor, pool, landscaping, furnishing a 1000 sq foot game room. The room is so big that the task is daunting. Designing craft room.

• Leeza
    2 years ago

My husband and my brother are half-through (or maybe a third through?) installing the induction cooktop and drop-down vent in our new-to-us home, that was ordered almost exactly a year ago thanks to supply-chain delays. I also want to change out the kitchen sink. We have a total of six light-fixtures coming in to be installed (having already changed out six). And potentially a walk-in tub in the guest wing.

Other than that, just finishing unpacking and organizing!

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

I've been in my own (first) home now for almost ten months so money is still very tight. Thankfully, all the necessary, and some optional, renovations were done prior to moving in in mid-March 2021. I have two things I'd like to finish in 2022: (1) skim coating and painting the laundry room / back entrance, the guest bedroom and the master bedroom, and (2) landscaping. Right now, it is just dirt and mulch doing its thing. I'd love to have some fruit, especially blueberries, strawberry guavas and passion fruit, and some really pretty native flowers to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

• Suzanne Melton
    2 years ago

We paid off the new roof and siding in August, 2020. Since then, we've been saving to have the driveway blacktopped.

The savings are coming only from selling at local auctions, eBay, and craigslist/Marketplace/NextDoor.

Lots of blacktop as it's a circular driveway with one entrance going back to the detached garage. Blacktop will end up being in the shape of a lowercase h.

In 16 months, we've saved $8,000.00, none coming out of income or "regular" savings. AND, a massive amount of crap is out of the house!

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

Started Phase III of our renovation this past Monday!

Phase I was Mbedroom/bath/closet/powder-laundry/hallway

Phase II was kitchen/hallway/mud-laundry/new cork plank floors

Phase III is:

Eliminating all popcorn ceilings in remainder of house (finally!)

Adding & replacing many doors/hardware

Gutting & renovating wet-bar

Closing pass-through from wet-bar to formal living room

Renovating den, including ripping out wainscoting paneling

Renovating 2 bedrooms & corresponding Jack & Jill bath

Renovating office

Renovating office bathroom

All of the above areas will be painted/adding can lights to some/painting floor to celing rock fireplace.

It seems like a lot when I list it all out, but it’s really mostly a re-fresh…not moving any walls, etc., like we did in the other phases.

So far the most difficult part of this latest phase (other than clearing out the rooms/closets - ugh!) was ordering the handles for all those doors. They arrive tomorrow & Friday. I sure hope I got the whole ”left-handed open,” ”right-handed open” thing correct…fingers crossed!

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I am planning to paint my new entry door a pale gray; professionally refinish the top of my oak table and get new upholstered chairs for it; and possibly do a kitchen window treatment ( or not). I also plan to reseed my lawn ( bare spots).

• laurafhallen
    2 years ago

Redo my bathroom and replace 4 windows.

• Candace
    2 years ago

I just want my oven/speed oven :) Ordered in March 2021…. supposed to be here next week, but I’ll believe it when the delivery truck is in my driveway! (Moved in in August, so it’s been 5 months without an oven.. sure do miss baking cookies!!)

• HU-458782120
    2 years ago

Built a new home over the last year and a half. Finish carpentry/ being done, kitchen counter TBD, currently working on figuring out best design for a small walk-in closet in the master bedroom as well as medicine cabinets and lighting for the 2 full bathrooms.

• Lisa Boggs
    2 years ago

We will likely either re-side the exterior or begin a layout change on the first floor (including primary bath and closet, half bath and laundry room).

• Leeza
    2 years ago

Our induction cooktop is in and functional! As it is the only black "thing" in the pastel counter and white appliance kitchen, I had an inspiration to get a black quartz composite sink to balance the other side of the aisle. We've ordered a 60/40 sink with steel flange/basket and grids. We'll keep the faucet which is brushed nickel (looks like steel). I will post before-after pics when the job is done!

Note: the sink needed replacing anyway and was on the list of new year's projects I posted above.

• MaryBocaTX
    2 years ago

Congrats @Leeza! I’m so jealous of your induction cooktop. We redid our kitchen (huge gut reno) as I mentioned above; and a 5 burner 36” gas cooktop was the only thing my husband really wanted. I would haved loved induction! I think about it every time I lift those ridiculously heavy grates and clean all the hills and valleys of that cooktop. Ugh.

And you’re going to LOVE your new sink! We installed a 60/40, 48” stainless steel sink w/the basket drain & grids…and it’s wonderful. I’m obsessed with the little basket strainer thing-y.

Can’t wait to see your pics!

• denkyem
    2 years ago

We've just started a massive basement renovation, which will convert the unfinished, filthy space below our 111-year-old house, with its bumpy chipped slab and crumbling parging, into a full-height, waterproofed and completely finished space with a guest suite, rec/play/tv room and nice bathroom, and will increase our homes' living space by almost 50%. Excavation is under way now, we're negotiating our finishing contract and I'm working with a designer to choose tile and fixtures. I have a feeling this is going to take til summer sometime but we're pretty thrilled to be underway!

• Tonya Arbeit
    2 years ago

Basement renovation for us also. Living in Alaska has its challenges. With always searching and imagining, the time and cost for anything new … is always a wait.

• Cheryl Morris
    2 years ago

I have a 100+ year old home in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I am planning to renovate 2 bathrooms. One is small (9x7) and currently has a clawfoot tub in bad shape. Planning to remove that and perhaps put a shower stall in or maybe just a furniture-like vanity. I also want to move the washer/dryer from its location off the kitchen to a nice/hallway off the side entrance.

Upstairs is a very large bathroom with another clawfoot (nice one), separate shower, and 2 pedestal sinks. Planning to replace the sinks with 1 big (72") or 2 small (30") vanities.

I will also be hiring someone to enhance the front landscaping... I am useless at that :)

• motownmom
    2 years ago

We've needed a master bath renovation for years. Who thought, in the 1960's, that small peach tiles nearly up to the ceiling on 2 1/2 walls, plus surrounding the tub, was a good idea?

We had to wait while my Mom lived with us to do it, as it was the only bathroom she could use. She passed away in August, meaning we could start at any time.

Couldn't get one contractor to do what we wanted for the bath surround, then the rest of the bathroom, so had to contract with 2. These businesses were contracted back in October, and started this month. In addition to a supply chain issue for hard products, there's one for contractors as well. They contract with more than just one job at a time and are very busy. It was hard to get someone who would only work on our project until completed. So, patience is a virtue I've been trying to maintain, LOL. Knowing the supply chain delays I ordered the desired vanity and mirrors in October as well. The vanity has been in my garage since late October, the mirrors indoors since then as well.

The bathtub replacement and bath surround were completed on January 7th. The remainder of the bathroom has been in demolition and renovation status for 15 days now and counting. Tearing out tile cemented over wet plaster walls, built onto metal mesh for many square feet, was a nightmare, and a long process. We are at the stage now where the new dry wall and light fixture is installed, the carrara marble tiles for the floor are in place and grouted, toilet almost completely installed, vanity next, but with some plumbing challenges still to be figured out for that. Getting the existing plumbing from a removed, single sink vanity to work for a double sink vanity with the pre-existing cutouts in the back will add the additional drama we didn't need. Of course after the contracting work is done, we'll still have painting and decor finishes to complete on our own, which thankfully we are capable of doing.

I know in the end, when it's all done, we'll be so very happy! But like many others, being in the midst of it is extremely taxing. Luckily for us I work from home and can watch as it's done.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Back yard renovation!

• Linda
    2 years ago

My kitchen cabinets have yellowed. I had the doors sprayed, but I am going to use

• Linda
    2 years ago

I am using Antique White General Finishes. I love how smooth it goes on and how it feels finished. I am painting the cabinet bases myself. New hardware and add a color to my Island. I am also putting in an yoga room in my lowered level. Removed TV room that was rarely used.

• Noy
    2 years ago

Extended patio just got finished a couple of weeks ago, now on to the attic addition. Been blessed with a great contractor, everything is going smoothly. Even though my house sounds like a construction site most of the day. Supplies for alot of things have been challenge with shortages. Budgeting is harder with all the inflation.

• Leeza
    2 years ago

@motownmom

So glad to hear of your progress. Rest assured if you had not ordered the vanity and mirrors in October, they would NOT have come in the same month but would have held up the whole project by MONTHS. So good on you!

• HU-388994709
    2 years ago

Saugatuck S, I have so many things I would like updated, but for the last 3 years, having a tough time securing a contract/design firm because they have larger $ projects, and help shortages. Bless them all for working though! Hope they can help me some day too.

• Leeza
    2 years ago

HU-388... We had the same problem 18 years ago when we wanted just the master bathroom redone. I used a "describe your job and get bids from contractors" website and got exactly ONE response, who did a lovely job. So hang in there!

• PRO
    ZebraBlinds
    last year

I recently purchased my first place, a condo with some age to it. The previous owner did a great job in really upgrading the place, with all new/newish appliances, pot lights, and freshly painted walls. They even knocked down the kitchen wall to open up the place and give it an open concept. I honestly love the work they did.

However, they did leave the walk-in closet in the master suite completely bare. Have to patch up the walls in there and then create the closet from scratch. That's top of the list for me.

• kculbers
    last year

ZebraBlinds: congradulations on your home purchase! That is exciting. Post pictures when you complete your closet renovation.