SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larissa_luv

Starting w/a blank slate (new build!) - What should I do and not do?

Larissa LUV
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

What do you wish someone had shared with YOU when you got your first home? Or built you first home from scratch? What wisdom would you impart on others now so that 20 years from now, they don't regret their first choices?

My background:

• Just signed a new contract for a brand new subsection of a "master planned" community, my neighbors with be dirt and construction for a couple of years.
  • We definitely feel this is our last home. We are middle-aged empty nesters and this is where we will eventually retire. So, 20-30 years at least (depending on how long we can stay at home health wise!).
  • This means we also want an "aging in place" forward thinking design.
  • That said, we also see it as an investment that we can sell in our oldest years and use the proceeds to sustain us comfortingly in a Senior housing situation of some sort.

The good news is I have floor plans and model pictures to share. I'd love your input, wisdom, advice, design ideas, etc.

My husband and I love natural materials, old west and native American style, cottage design, and some Mediterranean and Moroccan thrown in. We adore wood and stone. We want to also show respect for the Rocky Mountains and Colorado, the state we are relocating to. And while I understand neutrals have their place, we love color color color.

What we don't live is trends that will go out of style as fast as we use them. And WHITE. No white. White is evil. No kitschy stuff like antlers or old English china just to look at.

I've read so many posts here that says "I wish I consulted with you guys before I started this project..." and I learned from that. So, lay it on me. I can take it. Give me all you have to share!

REMINDER MY HOUSE IS BEING BUILT THESE ARE ALL BUILDER'S MODEL PHOTOS AND NOT WHAT IS CURRENTLY IN MY HOME. But it gives us an idea of what CAN be done in my new home.

If you'd like to really walk through the model in 3D, click here! Click on the Edenton plan, and have fun.

Artist rendering of exterior. We have asked for an upgrade on the front facade on the first floor for exterior stonework.

First floor. I have asked for an extended kitchen/table island and will not have any other dining table, allowing us to use the "dining" space as part of the living room.

Second floor. Note the window placement is slight different than in the model home.

Exterior of the model home with different elevation combination (mine is in first picture).

Living area. I will not have that awful electric "fireplace" - I plan on installing a ventless gas fireplace there in a year or two.

Another view of living space.

Dining area that will be used for something completely different. I'm thinking bar/second sitting area. Please note, all the little square windows and the transom windows are upgrades I am not signed on for.

Long view from the patio door to the entryway.

Kitchen. I will have an extended table island and did not opt for the exposed hood but a microwave over the stove (I know I know but there is NO counter space to use!). In addition, I will not have the double ovens to the right of the fridge, but more cabinet space.

Another view of the kitchen.

Pantry across from the fridge. No, I will not have a glass door. That's so odd it's even an option.

Long view from the fridge.

Upstairs "flex" area that will not have this built in so I can get a desk of my own choosing.

Hall bath. I want to rip this tub/shower combo out eventually and put in a curbless and possibly doorless shower with much more style and a view to my aging mother coming to visit.

Bedroom 2 will be a guest bedroom. Looking for a good convertible sofa-to-bed that is modern (but cozy and soft) and not the old style with metal bars that kill your back at night. Looking for suggestions!

Bedroom 3 will be my husband's modeling room (he builds model airplanes) and office. He will need a V-shaped desk so he can move smoothly from his work area to his computer area. And a TV because he has to have it on while he is working. We will also have to eek out ever inch of storage space in this room if possible because he has ... omg I don't know ... how many modeling kits and models he's already built. Let's just say you open any closet or cupboard in the home we are renting and you'll see his stuff stashed. We are coming to an understanding in the new home that there will be model-free zones! :-p

Master bedroom view 1. I want this to be warm colors, a boudoir, a sanctuary. I want to paint the ceiling a warmer contrasting color than the walls. I want amazing drapes that sing, and bedding that says we've traveled.

That damn shiplap chevron gray whatever it is will NOT be in our room. Neither will the windows that will make it impossible to block light when you need to. The barndoor will be, as it makes the most sense space wise, BUT I want to make it a moving wall of art that no one will ever mistake for a barn door. Ever.

Last view of Master. I'm thinking of matching set his and her chest of drawers where the dresser is because we have plenty of mirrors in the bathroom, and don't need one in the bedroom.

Master bath view 1. Eventually I want to rip out this shower and put in a drop in high soaking tub with an amazing surround.

My vanity with lots of storage. Will not be plain gray and white. Ick. Not pictured: to the right is a linen closet.

View of the other side of the Master Bath. On the other side of the towels is the door to the walk in closet and at the very end is the toilet in it's very own private room.

Comments (29)