SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
komeht

Which Engineered Wood Floor?

komeht
2 years ago

OK - we're having to replace our wood floors in our house due to some water infiltration damage on an insurance claim. And, rather than replace with the existing hickory - we're making a change since the hickory is too yellow, too busy, the planks too narrow. . .

The aesthetic of the house is overall scandinavian - clean and modern, on the lighter side.

We've decided to go with a white or european oak in a wider plank. Specifically we're looking at lighter and more natural tones, smooth or very light brushed texture, tighter grain and fewer knots (though some character is welcome of course).

After many many hours and samples and going back and forth we have a couple of top contenders.

https://villagiowoodfloors.com/product/duna/

https://kentwoodfloors.com/us/our-floors/showroom/brushed-oak-gold-hill

The Villagio samples are quite nice with a beautiful but tight grain that shows - I would say the color is blondish with kind of a hey or sand like color - a bit toward more yellow than brown. The wear layer is 4mm with 5/8" thickness and the wood is prime AB, polyurethane ao finish. Planks are a very wide 9.5". Appears to be chinese sourced product but I believe is CA section 01350 compliant w/certifications from SCS.

The Kentwood is a similar tone that goes more to the brown side than the yellow. A bit more character - but still quite nice. Looks like maybe a 3mm wear layer (though Kentwood doesn't seem to say in any of their online materials) on a 9/16" board and the plank is still wide at 7.5" instead of 9.5". Same polyeurethane ao finish. I think there is more variation a bit more grain and maybe it's more abc or abcd instead of ab - but again, Kentwood doesn't say.

I think they'll both look nice. The construction seems solid on both with 7 layer ply base. Not overly concerned with the wear layer as I can't really forsee the need to refinish the floors.

Mostly - we're looking for something timeless that will look beautiful no matter what trends are going and mesh with the existing aesthetic. I'm think I'm drawn a bit more to the Kentwood - but will the construction differences be a concern longterm?

Comments (17)