SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Pachypodium underlit.

I thought it looked kind of interesting that the sun was lighting up the undersides of the leaves. Can you believe it still has blooms left on it? This plant is over 6' and I planted it from a 4" clay pot in 2006.

Comments (5)

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Very pretty❤️. How long has it been blooming?

I take my dog to a tennis court to run around when it rains, and on one of the balconies that looks over the court, there is a lovely potted Pachypodium lamerei. I’d say it’s at least a five footer.

• CA Kate z9
    2 years ago

It's looking good. How cold has it been by you?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So far this year,38f. But its taken the low of 30f in 2007. We also had a few 32f in all that time. Once Kate,that tipped prune this plant into the branching you see. What you can't see is it's now really set to add a few more arms up close.

They can't take winter soaked clays. This one is in a slightly raised bed,bordering the sidewalk,and..under a Magnolia tree. All three help it survive cold rainy winters.

• CA Kate z9
    2 years ago

Kind of like me... the house and concrete make a warmer/drier climate than otherwise.

It's interesting how weather can change the growth pattern for a plant; perhaps making it more interesting.... like yours.

stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area thanked CA Kate z9
  • stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It took me a while to realize that the sidewalk offers dry ground to the roots. The Magnolia also makes sure that front yard is never too wet. To grow them takes some special sighting in the bay area..not just any place as in socal or the desert.