SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Smells like a gas station after tile install (help?)

Mittens Cat
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We just had a bunch of new tile installed, including kitchen backsplash, and now we keep getting little whiffs of what smells like gasoline in, around and under our kitchen sink.

The crew used Mapei Type 1 adhesive and I'm not sure which grout brand. After Day 1, my husband noticed some grout powder in our stainless steel sink; he rinsed and wiped it down as best he could. On Day 4 of the job, the kitchen backsplash was seen to have some haze (didn't bother me but the crew was determined to remedy it) and they used Aqua Mix Sulfuric Acid Crystals by Custom to wipe over the backsplash.

We had all doors and windows open and fans blowing throughout the four days (thanks to a couple of the crew members refusing to wear masks in our immunocompromised household). So it wasn't until the day after they finished that the smell started getting to my son and me (DH never smells anything). Our architect neighbor came over today to check out the tile and he smelled it too. It's not overpowering but it's not great, either. Kinda like we live next door to a gas station.

Both these products claim to be low VOC but googling brought up a few other complaints about lingering smells. Anyone have experience with this or remedies? We've poured buckets of water down both drains of our kitchen sink in case something needed to be flushed out. We cleared everything out under our sink (though everything under there has been there for well over a year). We use only Free and Clear unscented products, so it's not likely anything coming from our house.

Can anyone help solve this mystery? Right now we've got our windows partly open, but a storm's heading our way tonight. Thanks for whatever advice you can offer!

Comments (2)