SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nichole_soucy_reynolds

I need help in my loft space.

I know this is a very basic and easy layout but I have been staring at this for weeks and have no idea where to start. I was sort of going for a Scandinavian vibe but I can’t seem to find anything that would fit that look in my area. I don’t want it to look bare but I wanted cosy and warm. I’m not planning on putting a television over the mantle it’s more of a quiet space. Do you have any suggestions of how to fill it without making it look cluttered? I think that’s why I haven’t done anything yet. Clutter freaks me out lol Thanks everyone

Comments (26)

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Edgewood Home · More Info

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

This is a big house but you can see how the furnishings are placed. You'll need a rug, lamps, pillows for the couches, art work for the wall, etc.

• Nichole Soucy-Reynolds
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I guess I am struggling with a colour of a throw carpet to put there. I feel like if it’s too light it will make the carpet look dirty… Searching for some suggestions I guess in colour tones.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Hello! I was going to suggest a colorful, yet not too bright patterned rug like the one shown. I also think it would be nice to add a live edge wood coffee table between the two sofas, a warm flush mount light above as well as some lower

level lighting. A simple mantle with a piece of art you love or a mirror and a small collection of candlesticks would be a great simplet accent on the mantle.

• Nichole Soucy-Reynolds
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

I’m lost as to why there is a mantle without a fireplace. It’s just…wall.

• everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Is your house of a simple style, so that an accent wallpaper would fit? Or paint for a color that ties in with your accessories.

Will you like a subdued coloring? or bright colors?

Safavieh Candy Stripe Knit Throw · More Info

Safavieh Keelin Mid-Century Scandinavian Wood Coffee Table, Gray/Black · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

"Mustard leaves sprout from slender grey birch trees in this delightful wallpaper. With a hand painted design, this Scandinavian wallpaper has a whimsical style."

Ingrid Mustard Scandi Tree Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Bohemian Basics Decorative Diamond Tufted Cotton Throw Blanket, Galaxy Blue · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Scandinavian Black Block Print Tulip Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Finn Knit Throw Blanket, Mustard · More Info

Diana Boho Cotton Throw Pillow, Set of 2 · More Info

Resin 65" Turned Look Floor Lamp, Black · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Let's see any item or art that has your vibe at all. Are any a soft red? or a blue? they can tie in... start a color palette.

Off Beat Ethnic Red Geometric Floral Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Duro Gammalsvenska Collection by Innobo Inc. · More Info

Amie Throw Blanket, Burnt Orange/Mint/Khaki/Tan/Coral/Ivory · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Bellagio Contemporary Fabric Upholstered Push Back Recliner, Gray Checkerboard/E · More Info

Decorative 16"x16" Texture Purple Linen Pillow Cover�For Sofa - Scented Dawn · More Info

Elliot Storage Bench, Helsinki Block Lavender Multi · More Info

Addison 30 Modern Accent Cabinet - Birch/Magenta Interior · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like that this repeats grey, and the warms of carpeting, etc...

One under a window with table lamp? a floor lamp in the corner maybe.

Palmer Mid-Century Modern Handcrafted Mango Wood 2 Drawer Cabinet · More Info

Mercana Bellefontaine Natural Wood And Fabric 2 Door Accent Cabinet 67635 · More Info

• kl23
    2 years ago

​Nicole, I have experience with rug over carpet and do not recommend it, because it wrinkles and moves and trips people. You can add color in other ways. Can you please explain your purpose for this room? You said it's a loft, so what rooms are adjoining? Who is using it for what? Also, can you please explain the faux fireplace? Two long sofas in there draw the eye to a fake fireplace. Do both sofas have to stay? You have positioned them in a sort of wall-hugging way. Do you like to sit on the one by the window and gaze out? You can add color but it's best to do in a purposeful way to draw attention to some use. Also, what other colors do you like, and what colors are in neighboring spaces?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Photo-idea: shallow shelves like these, expert trim work, etc....

Hampton Hall - Farnsleigh · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Others look less modern!

Plug-In Electric Firebox, 25"es · More Info

W 26" / D 7.5" / H 18.63"

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Photo-idea for your curtains: if you added a scandi look at the top it could add your vibe, and also add length.

Bohemian Mod, Artistry in a Small Space · More Info

• amykath
    2 years ago

I have rugs over my carpet in my bedroom and living room. No one has ever tripped over them. Mine lay perfectly flat.

• ashtonchic
    2 years ago

Here is an example of a Scandinavian LR. It's very simple and takes colors from the artwork. I also like the electric F/P insert shown above. You could layer a simple rug over the carpet.

Cozy duplex in Brooklyn · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I posted wallpaper because one wall of pattern would visually 'meet the height' of the high smallish windows. Idk if they seem 'off' in person, but they don't seem to add cozy.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    2 years ago

Hello Nicole,

You have so many wonderful suggestions to choose from. The IKEA one is right on. They are Scandinavian indeed. A blank canvas can be daunting but also a lot of fun because you can do anything you like.

Here are our questions:

1. How many people will be using the room daily?
    2. How many guests will you want to accommodate?
    3. Can you give us measurements of the room? You can just draw them out on a piece of paper and post it. That usually works.
    4. Can we have pictures of the room with you back to the fake fireplace?
    5. Can the fake fireplace be moved to the wall across from the windows?

Best Wishes,

MAE Day Designs

• PRO
    Annette Jaffe Interiors
    2 years ago

Perhaps looking at a few of our designs would help you with your dilemma. Please note the window treatments, pillows, artwork, lamps, wallpaper, chandeliers, rugs, coffee tables, and end tables.

Modern Living Room · More Info

Hampton Boathouses · More Info

Hampton Boathouses · More Info

Rug idea:

Sands Point Modern · More Info

Roslyn Village Condo · More Info

Manhattan Contemporary · More Info

Boca Raton · More Info

White House Blue Water · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

End wall accented -- with paint color in softer version of brighter colored accessories [of pillows/art].

Driftwood shiplap 25sqft, 96" Board Lengths · More Info

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

If the mantle is only decorative, I'd remove it. As it is, it serves no purpose. Instead, I'd think about setting it up like a small library, with lots of shelving on the mantle wall and some big, comfy reading chairs. In addition to IKEA, Room & Board and West Elm are also good places to shop for that look.

Library · More Info

Transitional Living Room · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

With enough sun and night lighting, how about cozy wood wall, though dark there are others. But if you buy black fp, this might work.

Dark floors on trend, and now for walls. Red oak panels look "polished," naturally treated with oil to achieve a rich tone- peel and stick Oak w/Airpure Natural Finish/ Category: Molding and Millwork/ Style: Traditional

Black Cherry Reclaimed Wood Wall Planks | Stikwood | 20 Sq Ft Pack | Real Wood, · More Info

Trina Triangle Base Table Lamp With Tan Linen Shade · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Neutrals, textures - this with huge-yarn throw, etc...

$57 throw in 4 colors.

Brightech Bijou LED Tripod Floor Lamp Contemporary Design for Modern Living Room · More Info

Leon Throw, Gray · More Info