SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprolm74

Throw Pillows Help

April
2 years ago

I am wondering if any of these pillows work with this rug. I love the holiday plaid pillow, but it might be too much color and design. Thoughts in general or other suggestions? I also know the room needs repainted, I just haven’t got around to it yet. Thank you!

Comments (25)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Pillows can be tricky. I think of sitting on the couch and chair. Although I love the look of your first picture, can people sit without moving the pillows around?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO if you have to move pillows to sit on the sofa you have too many. As for which go with the rug none of them actually. I would wait until after you paint then see what the space looks like. For right now just use the red ones .

• Related Discussions

Help with the right throw pillows?

Q

Comments (11)
    Looking at the room, my thoughts went in a totally different direction that the ones posted, so these are my ideas. From Urban Outfitters: From Anthropologie: From Target: http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-embroidered-toss-pillow-yellow-18-x18/-/A-15093320#prodSlot=large_1_20
    ...See More

Living room needs finishing touches

Q

Comments (28)
    Maybe one of these original artworks would add some texture and contrast to your wall. Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop - http://www.pooviartgallery.com
    ...See More

Throw Pillows Help!

Q

Comments (12)
    The following pictures show the 100% certified organic pillows from Live Good. These inserts are moisture-resistant, quick-drying, lightweight, completely hypo-allergenic, mold resistant and odorless. All Live Good products are handcrafted in California using 100% certified organic materials. Link: [https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-livegood-pillow-prvw-vr~48286860[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-livegood-pillow-prvw-vr~48286860) Turtle: [https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-turtle-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48285908?lid=34936264[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-turtle-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48285908?lid=34936264) Elephant: [https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-elephant-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48283081[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-elephant-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48283081) Lion:[https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-lion-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48286439[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-lion-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48286439)
    ...See More

Need a throw pillow help !

Q

Comments (3)
    They both sound nice. If you’re having two made, I’d do both if possible. They don’t have to be exactly the same and that would add interest.
    ...See More
  • April
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The couch is very deep so in some cases the pillows do come in handy for extra support but I see the point that is being made and some do you have to be moved when sitting. Cutting back will save me some $$, so I can do that too.

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

I think that you need pillows with black in them--either solid black or half black/half white. No more patterns with that rug.

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    2 years ago

I'm a little confused modern country   Christmas      pillows to many different designs but I love furniture and colors  maybe just do modern and Christmas  styles

• April
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for all the advise. As much as I like the rug, it’s been a challenge element. I too often find decor I like and then try to force it to work when it just doesn’t.

• April
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So…I have too many pillows shoved in a closet. Although I was trying to go for a more holiday look in the first picture I swapped back to something more cohesive. A little better?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Better. Might replace plant with Christmas red arrangement. Your sofa and chair are beautiful. I think you could slide your rug over to the furniture so it’s at least at edge of furniture. I think the rug is big enough to do that. I think I found the same or very similar rug and you might be able to put two together to fit space better!

• April
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok, I will move the rug a bit and toss in a Poinsettia or some thing. That is the rug, but unfortunately it seems I should have gone bigger (bought earlier this year). Slowly learning how to put it all together. If I can get motivated, I’ll paint and get new wall decor someday soon. Thank you again for your help.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Your rug is sized too small for the furniture and the room.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I saw your initial photo. What about only rotating in some seasonal fabric hanging, instead of tree art..

• April
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the rug guide. This is very helpful. Seasonal art is also a good idea. I often get overwhelmed with choices, but I need to check in here before I commit in the future.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It’s the holidays . It’s not that serious. Really.:) I don’t think the design police will be showing up at your house. Do what you want.

I like the new coffee table cover (?) I remember your other post, and I think you had some red on the coffee table (?) I think some people here screamed about the coffee table color not working with the room, but I thought it was absolutely fabulous.

And I think some red in your space could be nice and not necessarily just for the holidays.

For example, this pillow also has a touch of your wall color, etc. All you need is one.

And this lamp has a touch of red.

I love using non-traditional floral arrangements for Christmas, such as tropical floral arrangements - because I iove, love the flowers and they have Christmas colors. Red ginger is one of my absolute favorites.

Here are some mixes.

I mix pine branches with the tropicals, too. I love it.

You could additionally or alternatively use red roses, red lilies, even red tulips, etc.

Red orchids or any orchids that have a bit of red or pink are also beautiful for this.

Happy Holidays.:)

• Jean
    2 years ago

I think a different picture would have a huge effect, something with brighter colors.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I agree the holidays.....have fun!

With that said, if you need to make it look like it belongs, just doing simple things will be festive. A simple red throw.........Some inspiration:

Cable Knitted Throw Blanket, Burgundy, 50" X 60" · More Info

Red Currant Crush Decorative Scented Glass Candle · More Info

Sparkles Home Rhinestone Reindeer Bust Pillow, 20x20, Black, Silver · More Info

Mistletoe Crystal Reindeer · More Info

• loobab
    2 years ago

I think your room looks great for the holidays, with all that nice red and plaid.

It is difficult to give pillow cover advice if you are going to change the paint color.

Why not change the paint color first?

Also, as pointed out, the rug is too small.

If you absolutely love it and want to keep it, you can use a larger natural fiber rug underneath, or a synthetic natural fiber look-alike that is larger underneath.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

I think the rug is nice - and in this case I like being able to see more of the floor... as it’s a nice floor; also, the wood on coffee table works beautifully with the floor -

and if the floor were covered more, you would not see that detail. In any case, and particularly in this case, I think this falls into the category of personal preference. I think the style of the rug plus furnishings works fine, as is. I would really leave it.

But if the size bothers you, now that people here have made this an issue, just turn the rug on a slight diagonal. That’ll work.

I love the style on the coffee table, btw. Reminds me of some I’ve seen from the Crate People.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Believe it or not, this Christmas arrangement featuring tulips can apparently be ordered in some locales via Instacart! 17 dollars and change.

You can also cut some flowers down low, along these lines, and put them in a low vase, to easily fit a tray on coffee table.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I like the sofa/rug/pillows (I don't mind the xmas plaid one either) love the idea of poinsettias or the tray on the bench w/the xmas decor.

However, the generic art pieces are a huge no. I'm sure once you paint the walls you can find something better to hang.

as for the rug, the way to solve the problem is to layer it over another larger sisal or jute rug

use something light like the creamy one above, or somethng like these

(this one is Hira, natural Ivory, 8x10. you want something a foot larger(minimum) than what you have now)

Birchlane Jute rug:

Or, just get a larger rug, maybe like this, and use the other elsewhere.

I like any of these colors. and they all work w/your flooring. I really like the Abalone Shell w/your white/black palette. the languid blue is nice too. (the others on your wall seem a little too blue/gray)

here are two diff art pieces w/the same tones as these paint colors.

the abalone shell is a red based color so it really works nicely w/your reddish wood floors.

the two grays are on the warmer side, rather than blue undertone.

some other grays

some others w/diff art

• April
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for the great ideas. I really like the rug layering suggestion and many others. I have been looking for replacement wall art for awhile too, but there is so much to choose from. I hope to someday pull it all together. I have posted here previously with different cushions on the ottoman/coffee table. This is really my focal point as I love this piece from Uber Chic Home.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like your personal feeling seeming to show: striking rug of whatever size [small seems to work in contemporary ways]; paint stripe; repeat of black with frames...

the only thing is the natural colors of the art, imo, which don't help the room unite.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

One more - black top is large, and rug has alot of look, so I don't favor solid black pillows [too heavy].

The red/white/black is ok, but not with wall paint as it is. The distressed base of table is a bit 'off' in combination with some of the photo-options you posted.

• K Laurence
    2 years ago

I think you could scooch the rug over towards the sofa & chair some to satisfy the rug police.. On the other hand, a friend of ours who is a designer for very high end homes told us that they’re often using smaller rugs ( not necessarilly large enough to place furniture legs on them. (I’ll probably regret mentioning this on here :) for example , just under coffee tables, ottomans , etc.

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

I think the cross on the coffee table is your defining element - it draws all the attention. If you love it, that's the piece you need to design *everything* else around. If you don't absolutely love it, I'd replace it with something a little more neutral - something that plays well with (most) others.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH