SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Enjoyable roses & recipes for health

strawchicago z5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This is a continuation of the last thread which Brendan gave excellent tips on growing roses in pots and growing plants indoor, see below:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6197188/about-roses-garden-health-best-products-recipes#n=126

Brendan: Thank you for the above tips for plants indoor and growing roses in pots, esp. on Hydroton instead of perlite. There's a guy Tique Lo who posted amazing pics. of Pink Peace in a pot with zillion of ruffled petals. He lives in Utah so he mixed his native clay with pine bark and put that into pots. Utah soil is rich in minerals .. that's where Azomite comes from.

In winter I watch health documentaries from Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu. There are 2 Australian health documentaries where 2 guys put themselves through high-sugar diet or junk & fast food diet, and have the docs do a health-check-up afterwards. Both guys have negative liver results .. but after going back to healthy diet, their liver got back to normal.

QUESTION for anyone: I need to add 2 more roses to make 6 from Roses Unlimited. With 4 large trees chopped down this year, my front garden looks bare (like a big pile of mulch) .. I need some place-holder (tall bush that has solid canes in winter, rather than one-cane hybrid tea, or dying to the crown). The best place-holder, or solid round bush in my garden is Zepherine Drouhin (leaves are 100% healthy and it forms a round solid bush in zone 5 winter). Below Zeph bloomed well in 4 hrs. of sun in spring .. its raspberry rose scent is way better than Rouge Royal, plus Zeph can waft its scent 30 feet away, making my garden smells like paradise:

Do you know of tall roses that stay as a solid bush or privacy-hedge, even in winter like Zeph drouhin? Poseidon is a good "place-holder" in winter, last winter it kept all its leaves and canes green up to 3 feet. After trees are gone from the front garden, my front yard is just a big pile of mulch .. I asked the tree-cutter to shred the trees into mulch for me (that saves me from buying mulch). We spread the mulch to the backyard, but the front bed looks so bare with nothing. Even if I put a few raspberry bushes in front, it would still look ugly and bare. I'm thinking about planting rhubarb & red raspberries but am a bit concerned that rabbits will eat my red raspberry too.

Thank you for any info. of nice-looking tall & hardy bush as "place-holder" through zone 5 winter.

Comments (136)