SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassie_todd16

Coffee Table or NOT?

Cassie Todd
2 years ago

Should I add a coffee table to my living room? If so, what style do you recommend? I have added a few photos of coffee tables in the room off the Wayfair app to get a feel of what one looks like in the space.

Comments (18)

• Cassie Todd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More of the room

• njmomma
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like the round table best. With accessories, I think it will look nice. The other tables look too heavy for the room.

CAMBER 38" ROUND COFFEE TABLE PEWTER / CLEAR GLASS 71003 · More Info

• doods
    2 years ago

Of course a coffee table! I like the glass one.

• Cassie Todd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for both of your inputs. :)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I agree, the round glass one.

Also, if you can, pull the sofa off the wall a snippet.

• dbshealy
    2 years ago

Definitely the glass one, love it, it will add a welcoming statement to your room.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You did a nice job moving the sofa table to the big wall. Can you get a shorter harp and lower the shades some? I don't think any of the coffee tables you show are compatible with the sofa table. Not that they should match, but the general rustic feeling should be continued. Consider using a pair of "C" tables; just right for a snack, laptop or coffee cup/tea glass. I would like to see the rug adjusted so it is half way under both sofas. All the installation at your TV wall should be lowered, and the grid mirror over the sofa should come down considerably. The other pair of prints over the pony wall should center at 5' above the floor. Ditto for the wall items in the dining room.

Jules C Table · More Info

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

Who sits on that sofa and when? Do they need a surface for drinks, laptops, or other items? If so, then a coffee table makes sense. Glass, round looks best.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I like the appearance of the glass table, but I'd want to put my feet up and so I might consider a round cocktail ottoman

I lowered the position of your mirror on the wall.

IMO the TV wall would look better overall if the TV were lowered along with the shelves.

• Donald
    2 years ago

I’d pick a round tufted ottoman

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

You really don't have room for side tables for lamps or setting drinks down so I would say yes to a coffee table. The over sized tufted/feet rest are the rage. Keep looking.

• Cassie Todd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your opinion! I plan to move down the mirror today. And I will look into a tufted ottoman :)

• njmomma
    2 years ago

A tuft is great to put your feet on, but to put a drink or coffee cup, not so much. Buy for your needs.

• Erica Langley
    2 years ago

"Every seat should have a place to put a drink and a lamp available to read a book." A designer I follow gave this advice and I believe it to be gospel. No one wants to be at a gathering/get together and have to hold your drink all night.  

If you get the tufted round ottoman get a tray for the top to put drinks on. Easy fix.

• lawsonch19
    2 years ago

I like #1!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Much prefer the large round ottoman with the tray (as needed for use) over a coffee table that will just collect clutter and end up being used as a foot stool anyway -- and the ottoman could be used as additional seating if needed.

BeverlyFLADeziner has the right idea.

Keeping a couple of those (legs/feet that go underneath a seat) side tables suggested by decoenthusiaste for use as needed -- or something similar would also be a good idea.

Cute pooch.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    2 years ago

We think the idea of a round coffee table might work well with your current set up. Please see our designs here with sectionals and coffee tables for more ideas.

California Ranch Transformation · More Info

New Build: Living Room · More Info

Casual Elegant Residence: Living Room · More Info

Charming Cottage: Living Room · More Info