SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherry_pepper

Large Family Room, or Family & Den?

Frank Marsh
2 years ago

I'm looking to finish my basement. The home currently is a 4 bd / 2.5 ba / 2 car garage of about 1800 sq ft. There is an open plan living room dining room/kitchen.

In very rough numbers, the basement is approximately 1000 sq ft and 250 of that is taken up by a mechanical room, full bath that will be finished, framing, etc. Roughly a cube. 8 ft ceilings when finished. I haven't had a radon test, but there was a radon mitigation system installed standard when the home was built a few years ago knowing the basement was intended to be finished. The original building plan and load bearing framing intend to have two more bedrooms down there (perhaps 150 sq ft each) and a common area family room in the rest of the space.

This seems like it would make the specs of the home a bit out of balance. Eg, a 6 br home with only a 2 car garage. I realize "bedrooms" don't need to be used as bedrooms and can be used for other things. I certainly have no need for 6 bedrooms and would prefer to have a larger more open living space down there. Although I have no plans to sell the house, I don't want to make some design choice that would detract from the home if I ever do.

What I'm debating is, do I;

a) make the 750sq ft essentially one large room. A load bearing wall would be removed and be replaced with a drop beam with a 10-inch finished height. (I don't want to mess with re-routing ducts and flush mounting the beam.)

b) divide the 750sq ft into an approx 600 sq ft family room and a separate 150 sq ft den/office/library. This would not have built-in closets and no thought would be made about someone potentially remodeling it to a bedroom in the future. It would have double french doors, or barn doors, to separate it from the family room when desired, or left open to have the two rooms feel a bitmor connected, but not truly open plan.

c) Finish approx 600 sq ft as family room and the other 150 sq ft as a bedroom (with just a single door and closets). This of course could be used as a den/office, but would be more private than b and there would be no ability to loosely couple it with the family room, which may be good or bad depending on how much isolation a work-at-home spouse might need from the rest of the goings-on.

There are other options, like a second master suite, or an inlaw suite that could be considered, but aren't really something I want, need or would use.

Although option a above (one large flexible open space) is in someways the most appealing to me, I'm thinking option b might be the most appealing to future home buyers with 3 or less kids.

Comments (11)