SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klmckay77

NeHelp with design feedback on kitchen layout (island or peninsula)

klmckay77
2 years ago

Hi All,

My husband and I are renovating for the first time and could use help from someone with experience in design and layouts. The first floor of our house is long and narrow (kind of like a bowling alley) half T. The kitchen is not currently visible from the front of the house. It’s in the back of the first floor to the left side where the floor plan expands (the staircase and guest bathroom are in front of the kitchen area. Currently there is a peninsula. We would love to have an island but are worried about the fact that your back would face the front of the house while seating at the island (the peninsula you would be sitting perpendicular with a much better view of the front of the house). We like the idea of the island because we think it looks good, we know that “people tend to hang out around the island,” and we aren’t sure if our kitchen to have big empty unused space in the center if we do the peninsula. What I love about the peninsula is that you can easily see what’s going on in the front of the house vs. having your back to the front of the house.

The dining table will be in the long empty area in the photo in front of the island or peninsula. To the left of the dining table is a 9 foot built in cabinet which we are turning into a bar area with floating shelves in the center.

Here are pictures of the space today along with the option for the island and peninsula.

I’d love feedback and recommendations on the layout. I’m also open to suggestions on how we could change these options to make it functional and beautiful (maybe put a seats around the end of the island :). Thank you!

Comments (40)