SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorky0421

little girls room redesigning help

Deb G
2 years ago

Hello guys!I will need help in organizing my little girls room.currently she has a twin bed and would like to change it in full bed frame.I’d like to keep the floral wallpaper in her room and make it as an inspiration to start with the new design. Bed color gray,beige or white .I’d like to have a hotel feel,classic elegant .
Size of the room is
Width 10 feet
Door to windor is 11 feet and 4.5inches
I’d like to have storage and keep her tv as well in her room.thank you in advance.

Comments (34)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The room does not look well arranged,, Draw it and measure. show where the entry is , the closet, and any furniture you need to keep. Appears you need some storage and "clean up" ad pictures from other angles as well

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Don't go depressing drab gray for a little girl! Pink or white. Get curtains. As far as arrangement. What's going what's staying, where are the windows/doors. A trundle day bed might be the way to go. The double bed is a poor use of space in a small room that only sleeps one. She will need a desk, a dresser as well as book shelf. Lose the TV. The addition of curtains will help.

• Related Discussions

Playroom help for 2 sweet little girls :) PICS

Q

Comments (29)
    PP offered some great tips! Your girls are going to love the room. I had a couple suggestions I haven't seen mentioned yet. For wall art: I love etsy.com for handmade art or budget-friendly photos. I have some great prints for my 2 girls' rooms. They also have vinyl adhesive quotes or you can order your girls' names. They can be pricey, so I ended just hand painting a two-tone pink cherry blossom tree. Not as fancy as this, but decent enough considering it only cost me a few quarts of paint. This decal from easy is $86. For your windows: I agree with the PP worried about window safety. With those windows, I would invest in plantation shutters (too heavy for a 2 or 3 year old to unlock and swing open) or buy a metal window gate to ensure your kids can't open the window. Then you can buy some pretty sheers to soften the look of plantation shutters. I got some from Pottery Barn Kids that are embroidered with pink and green butterflies to cover my daughter's shutters. It offers a light whimsical look. They're both sleeping now so I can't take photos. I can't copy the image here, but I see one on eBay now with lavender butterflies for $35 per 84" panel. Post photos when you finish the playroom!
    ...See More

*new here* Help decorating a little girls room.

Q

Comments (1)
    The room is approximately 10x10 with a 5 ft entrance and closet on right.
    ...See More

Paint color for a little girl's room that is not pink

Q

Comments (79)
    You might consider a flower garden theme, a light green -- Behr Celery Brunch -- for her walls with very pale blue -- Behr Misty Surf -- ceiling. Add sunshine. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/494692340310146588/ Add flower sun catchers a to her window: https://www.google.com/search?q=images+Tiffany+flower+suncatchers&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFr9O8_vnaAhVDMd8KHUYuBfwQsAQIJg&biw=1366&bih=650 Wallpaper trim tape at the top of her wall linking blue and green and showing the overhead garden visitors : https://www.homedepot.com/p/York-Wallcoverings-Brothers-and-Sisters-V-Forest-Friends-Wallpaper-Border-SB7663BD/207173812?MERCH=REC--PIPHorizontal1_rr--302422445--207173812--N Sturdy white wood table and pair of chairs: https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/my-first-table-and-chairs/?pkey=dplay-table-chairs&isx=0.0.392 Toddler safe toy storage -- no lids to bump heads or pinch/crush fingers. https://www.crateandbarrel.com/kids/toyboxes/1 Cloud white bedding with flowers and/or butterflies and/or birds and/or balloons. https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/New-White-Applique-Quilt-Set-3PCS-Korean-Washed-Cotton-Quilts-Bedspread-Bed-Cover-Pillow-2-Shams/32800619258.html Garden related art ... and when you're sure she knows where to draw and where not to draw, a box of crayons or colored pencils, a sketch pad and a large bulletin board for her to display her own flower art.
    ...See More

Awkward furniture placement in little girl’s room

Q

Comments (16)
    Depending upon her age, you could ask your daughter and follow her preference for her room. If the issue for you is the visual of it rather than spacing: With curtains on the window that hide the side window frames, you couldn't tell that wall behind the headboard is not as wide as the headboard. That might help the visual vibe. If you like the no curtain open window look, you could use both sheers and a pair of drape panels for each window and only cover the side window frames, leaving the shears in the middle to "cover" the window itself. Alternately, you could use a double rod and have the sheers on the inner rod and have the option to leave the curtains or drapes open or closed. You might also consider a different option: Change the bed to a metal frame (with wheels) -- without any headboard or foot board -- and use the window to the right of the chest of drawers as a headboard -- leaving the other windows unadorned, use curtains to create a theme at the head of the bed that represents your daughter's current interest.
    ...See More
  • jck910
    2 years ago

How old is she? Wallpaper is pretty but mature so I would definitely paint the walls in the light pinky/peach color from the flowers. Faux Roman Shade on the window so you can have storage under it. White bed. No TV.

Soft bedding target.com

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Nope. You don't have enough room, enough storage, and way too much junk is in there now: )

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I have that wall paper in my newly done guest room I love it. IMO go queen size for the bed full bed linens are harder and harder to find . How old is she? I do not like TVs in bedrooms even for adults .We need more info and a to scale floor plan showing windows, doorways and all measurments clearly marked. Then info about her. A small child needs to not have a hotel bedroom but a functional one for her age.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I love the above inspiration you were given. Also consider painting the other walls, the same shade as the background of the wallpaper.

From the things in her room, your child seems to still be young yet. Use large baskets to contain her toys and as she gets older, those baskets can then hold extra blankets, throws and her extra sheets, one can be a hamper, or just extra shoes, clothes, etc.

I am not too sure the room can accommodate a full size bed, so I would consider a twin. Add a small vanity with draws and a chair and mirror. A vanity can be used and do double duty. It can be a Desk and Doing hair and getting ready in the morning without taking up bathroom time.

As night tables, consider a small dresser for one side and and nightstand for the other. This will also give her more storage and she can add lighting.

• mainenell
    2 years ago

That room looks about 10 x 10. Not big enough for a full size bed, IMO. In fact, to give the child more play space I would consider a raised bed with space under it for play. Or a captain’s bed with dresser under it. Or some sort of raised bed to created under bed storage.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I love the wallpaper. Can you remove the ottoman? I agree in regards to the wall color being the same shade as the background of the wall paper.

You just need to declutter and organize. Add some lamps for cozy mid lighting. Also you can make the bed look like a daybed with pillows. Add some curtains to soften the window. Also, maybe you can find a low priced light fixture for the room (a small chandelier perhaps?

Keep us posted.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

We just painted our daughter's room SW white truffle, which looks like it might go well with your wallpaper (looks terrible on the chip but really lovely on the walls). I would definitely change the color of the rest of the walls.

I agree that a full bed would not be a good fit...and honestly once we start sharing beds the most space we ever get is the size of a twin. So tell her you're just prepping her for adulthood by keeping her in a twin. Get the IKEA hemnes trundle if occasional extra sleeping space is what's needed.

I am also in the camp of no TVs in bedrooms but everyone has different opinions on this. We couldn't even get them to remove the cable jack in our new build's master bedroom so we'll need some strategically placed art.

• CNH 320
    2 years ago

My brother has a small room with a similar layout, only the closets in a different place. It's tight but he has everything he wants on there. Could you put the bed next to the wall across from the closet instead, where you walk and first thing you see is the foot of the bed. He uses one of those cube shelves as a nightstand/storage beside the bed, so you could put that under the window beside the bed. And then a desk and dresser on the floral wall with a small TV on top of the dresser. That's similar to what he has and it works.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

The plan above is her dimensions and to scale. Read the thread

It neeeeeeeds storage five feet worth and tall

Butt them together

Saratoga Tall 5 Shelf Bookcase - Set of 2 in Linen White Oak - Engineered Wood · More Info

• CNH 320
    2 years ago

Okay, so I've never used this room planning app before so it's not exact, but this is pretty much the layout my brother has in his room that's a similar size and it works for him. He has a small TV on top of the dresser.

So I was thinking maybe you could do something like this except a smaller nightstand/cube storage thing since yours would be under the window and if you don't need or want a desk put storage there. It just all has to be fairly small furniture.

Or this maybe? Sorry I know the door is opening the wrong way.

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

What app is that ?

• CNH 320
    2 years ago

It actually wasn't an app, I said it wrong. It was a room planner thing I found online earlier, I don't remember what it was called, plan your room or something. It wasn't very good at all. I really like the app called Floor Plan Creator, but you can't do screenshots on it unfortunately, at least not on the free version, so that's why I tried that.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

It will be tight and I would remove some of the things currently in there but it can be done if planned. My kids want to switch to bigger beds too and have smaller rooms so we are sorting out how it could work. We do have a playroom and large closets so we will be putting more into those spaces. Do you have other storage too?

• Deb G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I only have a dresser and the walk in closet as the storage

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

A daybed with trundle might work for you. There are also daybeds with popup trundles that double the size of the daybed. You can also get them with rollout storage rather than a second mattress.

Homelegance Lorena Metal Daybed With Trundle, White · More Info

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

If a child wants a double or queen a trundle is not the same. Not even close

• anj_p
    2 years ago

@Westcoast hopeful 
    Sure, it's not the same, but it's also a bit of a luxury to give a child a full or a queen. I share a king with DH... which means we both get the size of a twin. As an adult I'm fine with that size, and any adult that shares a bed is also fine with it as you can't get anything bigger. So why is it a challenge for a child? 
    If you have the space and want to indulge, fine. But the OP doesn't. So IMO not having the bed overwhelm the room is more important than giving the child what she thinks she needs. Especially as it appears she is still young enough to play with toys in her room.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

The op wants a double or more though. So that is the request. Doesn’t matter if you think it’s a luxury or not on an indulgence.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

What FITS is relevant to the request. OR ...........go ahead and indulge in a room that has no room for any other of the the "treasrures" . because THAT really will look great. lol

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

People prioritize things all the time. If the OP decided the bed is the priority they will figure out how to make it happen and address the other issues in turn. People on this forum are also constantly designing for someone to not actually live in and use the space. If the room feels a bit tight but this child is happy then that is what matters.

Jan do you realize that your constant use of capitals is “yelling” in text and fairly unnecessary

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

FIT in caps is easier than finding bold font. What fits and also creates function is important in any space.

I will boldly state that, because I know too well the sorry outcome that ruins any space is nowhere to put the stuff of life. : )

That fact is age irrelevant.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

Bold also not needed. Your opinion is it won’t work. Even from a design perspective this could be valid. My opinion is that the OP wants a bigger bed and with some tidying of clutter and rearranging things they can figure out what items must stay to make that happen and move the rest. That way they live in the space they want to and intend too. A dresser, nightstand and bed can work. Toys can be stored in drawers under bed with ease and bigger items in the closet. What doesn’t fit there can go a different spot in the home.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Hi dorky-

How nice that you want to redo your daughter's room.

That wallpaper is just dreamy.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you want it to look like a "hotel room."

Does that mean everything neat and uncluttered?

Or are you referring to a particular style of decor?

I think a day bed works very well in a child's room, especially for girls. They like to sit and chat for ages, do each other's hair, etc.

I like the ones with straight backs, not the curved backs, The stright backs support the cushions you can have made up as I describe below.

You can have two very large firm cushions made that span the length of the bed and go up 16-18 ", your preference and have them made out of quite dense foam wrapped in batting.

No down needed here, and the children should not be able to feel the rails behind them. Have removable washable zip on covers made for them (at least two sets) and write in the contract with the upholsterer that you get to keep the pattern and/or the muslim pattern prototype. (Now your daughter is gentle floral. In 5 years she may be animal patterns, and 5 years after that she may be into goth!) You can also have ties made to tie the cushions on to the rails so they don't slip and slip. Velcro works, but after a while, it gets weird in the wash.

Since girls often have sleep-overs, a trundle day-bed is a great idea, and the top mattress can be a full size and the bottom one can be a twin.

See if you can find one where the lower one pops up to the same level as the upper one, it is so much nicer.

Rather than the cheapo furniture that is sold nowadays, why not go to a Goodwill or similar store and purchase a well-made solid wood triple dresser and nightstand and paint them. You can paint the same color you paint the walls that don't have the wallpaper. If you want you can add an accent stripe in whatever color you want from the wallpaper. If you ask in the smaller lumberyards and hardware stores you can often find men that do these sorts of projects.

I would get a really good closet system, one that will grow with her.

What I mean by "grow with her" is one that is adjustable, that you can adjust the height of the various elements, etc without paying someone else a fortune to do so, that you can use your own tools, not the package's special;y sized wrench or whatever you 3 years later goodness knows where you stashed it. Also, you want a reputable brand or company that will stay in business so that if you want to add on and buy more parts, they will still be in business. The cheapo one at a dollar store or discount store may look just as good now, but later, it will be useless.

You can build in a desk under the window, to be used for both crafts and schoolwork.

You can use a formica laminate that you get from IKEA or someplace like Home Depot or wood. That can be attached to the wall and the height changed as she grows.

You can get a set of drawers for one side for craft supplies and a two-drawer file cabinet for her papers and files.

As others have mentioned, a bookshelf is important, but maybe only one book shelf.

Children don't use that many school books anymore, many of their school "books" are on- line.

At this time, since she may not have that many books, you can use the book shelves to store her toys and games and dolls.

If you can't afford to buy a bookshelf, don't worry, you can use a thick wooden board and cinderblocks, and it will more than do the job, and it will be much sturdier than any particle board shelving unit from IKEA! And you can always paint the wooden shelf, even the cinderblock if you want.

Just like brushing teeth, now is the time to inculcate good habits like orderliness.

Children can't put things away if they don't know where they are supposed to go.

Those TV shows that show a row of baskets or opaque bins are the most stupid things ever if one expects a pre-literate child to clean up after him/herself.

First go through all your daughter's possessions, & keep, donate, or discard. If donation centers are not taking donations due to COVID, don't wait for COVID to be over, just trash it.

The way I got my daughter to part with things was two pronged:

1. Indoor space is finite, she can't get more until she gets rid of a significant amount of what she has

2. As much as I love her chefs-d’œuvre, I can't possible keep every piece of paper she has touched with a pen, pencil or brush. I purchased a big portfolio and once a year she went throught her things and selected the things she wanted me to keep for her.

3. Her books were really piling up and she inherited the book-hoarding gene. This tactic worked- "Think of all the poor children who can't afford to buy books..."

And we did donate them.
    Purchase transparent plastic containers for your daughter's possessions of a size that will separate things by type. e.g. dolls together, building blocks together, each type in it's own baggie, etc. Then, if you prefer opaque containers, you can put the transparent containers in the opaque containers and label the opaque containers with what is inside, either with words if your daughter can read well, or with photographs.

I felt that was too many extra steps.

I just used transparent plastic and labels.

Don't stack too much, use those wire shelves that they sell for the kitchen to separate stacks of plates, otherwise when your daughter reaches for one thing, everything will come tumbling down.

If you are going to have a television in her room, it can be wall-mounted on a mount that is adjustable so that the TV can be turned and raised or lowered so she can see the TV from her bed or her desk or even the floor. (Oh, the days when it was comfortable to sit on the floor!)

Use vertical space as much as possible.

For example, you can have a shelf over the window and have decorative boxes there. Either buy pretty floral hatboxes and rectangular boxes, etc or buy plain ones and you and she can cover them with gift paper you buy yourselves. Way up there is a great place for things you or she don't use that often, like the fancy hats for holidays, certain types of craft supplies, maybe clothes that are too big for her that she has received as gifts or hand-me-downs. You might want to use ModPodge on top of the wrapping paper surface if you DIY.

If you put clothes in those boxes make sure they are clean and dry and tuck in several silica gel dessicant packets. Don't use flour-water paste, that will attract bugs.

You can even gussy the boxes up with brass corners , handles and label holders.

• Deb G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow wonderful!where do I put the bed?

• loobab
    2 years ago

I didn't see where you uploaded a floor plan with measurements.

You need to put it against a wall. Before you decide where it is going to go, you need to buy it, then get the dresser. You don't have to get a wide triple dresser (the woman's dresser) if the room is on the small side, you can get the tallboy (the man's dresser) and utilize vertical space. If you paint it white and accent it with stripes of pink or peach or mauve or purple or whatever you like it won't be masculine. You can even use a stencil to add swirls or arabesques or leaves or flowers if you want.

Also, if space is tight you don't have to have a nightstand either.

Instead of a lamp on a nightstand you can have a wall sconce that plugs into an outlet that you attach to the wall. Or for more glam, you can have a mini-chandelier that you hang from the ceiling next to the bed, but it plugs into the outlet.

And you can have a very small shelf next to the bed for a clock and her phone and her book and a box of kleenex.

Never shop without a proportioned floor plan on graph paper (or the new-fangled computer version) and a tape measure.

• partim
    2 years ago

Why do you want to change the bed location from where it is now?

• partim
    2 years ago

For people asking for a floor plan, the OP told us that the size of the room is:
    - Width 10 feet
    - Door to window is 11 feet and 4.5 inches

The photo is taken from the door on the 10 ft wall, and that's the door to the walk in closet.

I'd focus on making the walk in closet very functional for storage, so that you don't need a lot of storage furniture in the room.

Instead of a TV on the wall or on a stand, stream the TV to a laptop or Chromebook since there will only be one person watching it.

If you haven't bought the bed yet, consider one with under-bed storage. Either drawers or rolling storage.

Here is Jan's plan with a double bed. Dresser under the window, tall storage along the side. Compared to a twin bed, the double is 16" wider so you lose that much play space on the floor, and gain that play space on the bed.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

You could also consider putting a dresser in the closet. That could free up some space in the room.

• partim
    2 years ago

@freedomplace1 Great idea. @Deb G Maybe start a thread for the best use of the walk-in closet space. The less furniture you have in the room itself, the better.

• loobab
    2 years ago

partim -thank you!

• loobab
    2 years ago

dorky-

I did not realize the dimensions of the room.

How old is your daughter?

Have you thought about a loft bed?

You can get one with a full bed, with a desk and a dresser as part of it, and then the only other thing you need in the room is a bookcase or you put up your own shelves and a good closet system and done!

This is a great one from Pottery Barn. You can also purchase one with side rails that you can remove later on.

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

I saw this article on Apartment Therapy a while ago and thought of this thread. It might give you some good, workable ideas.