SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_528228756

Help with Hot Water Heater Locations and Wait Times

HU-528228756
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Now that we are ready to start construction, builder has new options for hot water heater(s)...

We have a long floorplan and recognize we have a challenge with delivering hot water in a timely fashion in some locations with a tank in the garage closet. The water heater utility closet is in the garage at one end but the master suite is at the opposite end, about ~85 ft away! PEX lines will be in the attic. Attic will have foam insulated roof thus it will be insulated space.

We’d like to have hot water fairly quickly at the master bath vanity sinks and kitchen sink. Longer waits for hot water at the master shower and guest bath is acceptable.

(Never had one but we also like the idea of tankless. We can take off and it costs nothing sitting there. But if we have a lot of sustained demand we won’t run out either.)

Builder offered option 1:

Add a propane tankless to the exterior wall (they’d build a cover over it but it would be outside the insulated wall) at the master bath. It would service everything on that end of house including the vanity, shower and nearby laundry room. I’m not liking the exposure to cold in event of power outage. (a lot of issues with these installs in Texas last year for example)

Option 2:

Could relocate a single propane tankless unit in the attic roughly between kitchen and master to serve whole house. It simplifies things, reduces cost and provides a reasonable solution everwhere. Builder doesn’t like the serviceability aspect of this (there’s also going to be HVAC up there) and maybe he has a point: there’s going to be varying ceiling heights, bump ups, a hip roof.... We’ve never had tankless - I don’t know what the challenges would be having one in the attic space.

Option 3:

Small electric Point of Svc (POS) electric tank under vanity to service just the vanity sinks (not shower). A tankless in the garage water closet servicing everything else (including master shower). This has been suggested here previously and I think it has merit. But we’re at 90 to 95 feet of PEX from GA to master bath plus lag time of a tankless… Not sure we can fit a 6 gal POS under the vanity and a 2.5 gal POS may not be enough.

Or maybe other configurations altogether? Appreciate any experienced feedback.

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Where is the house located?

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

Wow, no good answers.

Another option is a POU for vanity. A recirculating system that's motion activated and latches when you go in bathroom and turns off when the pipe is warm. Do it with a return line, not the cheezy way by using the cold water line. And a Hybrid Electric in the garage. It's the cheapest way to heat water. Propane sucks.

Do the math on the POU - you can approximate the amount of water in the PEX.

Make sure all hot water lines and recirculating lines are insulated to reduce wait time.

Here's the thing: You are going to use the master bath vanity often. Guest bath not so often.

The POU for the master vanity is the right idea.

If the recirc pump triggers when you walk in, you should get hot water pretty quickly without wasting water and without it running all the time.

• Related Discussions

We have no hot water: help decide what water heater system asap.

Q

Comments (9)
    I installed it all and plumbed it myself - Not a really difficult job . . . . maybe 3 on a scale of 5 The collector panel was $1K, the tanks were $600 for the pair, the circulator pump was $100, the differential controller was $200 and about another $300 for copper piping, valves, flowmeter and an analog temp guage. $2200 for the total system, give or take $100. We had no hot water heater to begin with, so we would have had to spend $300 anyway, so take away the $300 and the $400 in Tax rebates and the system actually cost us $1500 - I got $300 off my federal income tax and another $100 from the state My 'break even point' is about 3 to 4 years - It would be higher if I had paid another $1500 to $2K for a professional installation We're remodeling an old farmhouse, so we've never lived here with anything but the solar heat but the tag on the side of one of the water heaters says it costs $400 per year to run - It's a very high efficiency unit with 3 inches of polyfoam insulation, so a lesser water heater would cost more to operate. $500 to $600 per year is probably an average cost for domestic water heating per year for a family of four I REALLY don't understand why there isn't a larger push from the government on solar water heating. Unlike solar electric, or hybrid cars, this technology is pretty well perfected right now and the payback is much shorter than for just about any other 'green' energy source. It can be used in most places in the United States. The outside temp isn't a big factor in how well it works . . . . it depends more on how many sunny days you have If more houses had solar domestic hot water systems, we could make a huge dent in the total energy use of the country and just think of how much less fossil fuel we would consume Don
    ...See More

Minimizing hot water wait time - PEX home run or trunk and branch

Q

Comments (3)
    I doubt very seriously if your plumbing inspector will allow you to discharge the water heater TPRV into the shower pan. If someone happened to be in the shower when the valve opened their feet would be scalded. That water heater is on an outside wall. The preferred method would be to discharge both the TPRV & the pan outdoors through the wall. Also, you are just arbitrarially assuming 1/2" is the correct size of the PEX lines, that is not correct. I strongly suggest you download the free PDF Zurn PEX Installation guide. http://0323c7c.netsolhost.com/docs/PEXDesApplGuide.pdf
    ...See More

Replacing 50-gallon electric hot water heater - need more hot water!

Q

Comments (3)
    What is all the hot water needed for? A gas heater doesn't have to be in a well ventilated space because waste gases must be vented to the outdoors. It just needs source air and that's very easily done. Running a gas line is never a structural issue...it's a money issue. If two 50 gal units is a small fortune to operate...wouldn't one be 1/2 a small fortune? Still sound like a lot. I mean it's not like the second unit would cost 2x,4x,10x more than the first unit. That is kind of the deal if you want lots and lots of hot water on demand...it costs money. Solar can get you lots of pretty cheap hot water, at least DIY. The units you buy seem kind of expensive to me for what they are.
    ...See More

Need help urgent - Water leak by the hot water heater

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks. I am assuming given that I am not going to be using the air conditioner for 6 more months, I can drain it out and should be good? Wrong, during heating condensate is also produced. It needs to be fixed before both the cooling and heating season. I also suspect the condensate pump considering it is full, it will normally empty out once the float activates the pump but clearly there is something wrong with yours. The pump may have just quit working and need replaced. They are not that expensive.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

Yes, the option to install a recirculating loop and pump is worth considering. Water gets recirculated back to the heater when it cools below a desired temperature. There are a number of different options to control the pump on/off time. With this option you're never waiting too long for hot water to arrive at a use point and it's not being wasted down the drain while you wait. Some models of condensing-type tankless hot water heaters have the pump and buffer tank built in so all you have to do is run the recirculating line. Your hot water line would need to be insulated by code so there's no change there.

If you have any other reasonable options to running water lines in an attic, they are preferable, in my view. If not, investigate a whole-house water shut-off like Moen's Flo valve.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

Indeed some tankless water heaters do have recirculating systems.

They are in Texas - and have access to use the garage as a heat sink for a hybrid electric heater. And the alternative is propane... seems like a no-brainer to me.

If the alternative to running pipes through the attic is to run them through the slab, run them through the attic. The truth is that a leak in a pipe is going to do a lot of damage wherever it happens. Repairing drywall is so much easier than jackhammering the slab.

Don't put any plumbing outside, including water heaters. Just don't. Learn from the last incident. Don't compound the bad design issues of 100' hot water lines with an outdoor heater. It's a new friking house, not some hunting cabin in the woods that you are retrofitting with indoor plumbing!

I'm not a big fan of recirculating systems on timers. Unless you have a very predictable schedule I think it results in a lot of heat loss in the pipes. Typical pipe insulation has an R rating of 3. That's infinitely better than uninsulated pipes, but still a lot of heat loss over a lot of surface area (about 100' x 2 with the return line).

With a hybrid tank heater you don't have the initial delay of hot water that you have with the tankless. In this layout, with a tank heater, you would get hot water in the kitchen in a reasonable time without the recirculation pump being active. You only really need it to be active in the master bath.

• pima74
    2 years ago

Consider a recirc system but include remote control to turn the pump on and off as needed versus using a timer. With a new build it could be a wired control. I used X-10 stuff to turn ours on and off. I have timed how long it takes to get to the bathrooms. laundry and kitchen. There are more *reliable" systems for control but X-10 is the least expensive. Having to wait for x minutes for hot water to reach a given outlet is maybe a bit inconvenient but "what's time to a pig".

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

In addition to the time spent waiting for hot water to arrive, you should consider the quantity wasted down the drain and it's effect on your water/sewer bill. Our county is completely dependent on well water for potable water supply. It's an expensive resource and the price is indexed based on usage (the more you use, the more you pay per gallon.) Plus, you pay sewage charges on every gallon that goes down the drain so it adds up.

• David Cary
    2 years ago

You could also put a hybrid hot water heater centrally in the attic. Sure it could rupture and create a bit of a mess but that could be planned for. We have something like that although a different floor plan. The kitchen is the furthest fixture with regular use so it has a POU.

Have you seen proprane prices lately?

• Verbo
    2 years ago

2 tankless, at opposite ends, and forget the recirculating unless you like wasted money.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

The cost of (2) condensing-type tankless hot water heaters is sobering and so is the installation cost. You'll need a gas line capable of delivering gas at the rate required by both heaters operating concurrently-- plus any other users in the home. I think you'd be better off to put a small electric hot water heater under the vanity to serve as a buffer tank. You can get a 6 gallon Rheem compact unit for less than $300. It plugs into a 120 VAC receptacle.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

I'd vote for a standard electric tank at each end at ground level, possibly in a bumped out insulated exterior location, externally accessible. This would provide redundancy and easy repair/replacement. Further, a propane-fed motor-generator in the yard would provide back-up to the house and heat. This will limit propane heating of the hot water to only power failures requiring the generator. Modify architecture accordingly.

Trading away hot shower performance to save a little initial cost in a project covering thousands of square feet of house seems as misguided to me as Texas' mix of prime power resources.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

We'd need to know the unit costs of each alternative energy source in order to make a recommendation based on economics.

• David Cary
    2 years ago

Isn't it telling that the insurance companies don't charge more for hot water heaters in the attic? Do you think they are irrational? Don't you think they have run the numbers? They ask many questions and presumably decide the rates based on those questions.

What model being discussed has "traded away hot shower performance"?

From an energy accounting standpoint - and this should match financial over the long term - a heat pump hot water heater is the best in a southern area without NG. That is the situation it absolutely works the best for. Helps that most of the south has cheap electricity.

I have NG and still went with the heat pump.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

@David Cary,

Best practices evolve from practices that weren't.

I live in a mixed-humid (coastal VA) climate. We occasionally get cold snaps that can last up to a week. It's not a coincidence that they typically occur when folks are enjoying some time on a tropical island far, far away. With nobody home, and no hot water being circulated, the lines to a hot water heater in the attic can freeze, burst, and cause a flood that goes unchecked until the neighbors see icicles forming where water is leaking from the home. Yes, really. It's happened in our area often enough that people should learn the lesson.

The risk isn't limited to hot water heaters in attics. One homeowner who was enjoying a tropical vacation learned that insulation by itself isn't sufficient to keep a water line to a humidifier from freezing. They had forgotten to open the valve in the fall to supply water to the humidifier. With no water flowing, the water in the lines eventually reached the attic temperature which was below freezing. The line burst and water flowed unchecked for days. It was a heck of a mess and a huge insurance claim.

We've built two homes in the last year where the owner's insurance company mandated the installation of an intelligent water shutoff (we installed Moen's Flo valve in both homes.) That might provide reasonable protection, but putting the water heater in a garage is a pretty simple preventive measure. If only we could do that with refrigerator ice maker lines....

• chisue
    2 years ago

I'm no expert, but LOVE having hot water in 8 seconds at any faucet in the house. A recirculating pump was part of our build 20 years ago. It's an *everyday luxury*. Saving water is nice, but not THE reason I'd miss this.

Note: If you have one, remember to turn it off anytime your water has to be shut off for a while or the pump will burn out. (Our city reimbursed us for a new pump for not notifying us of a several-hour shut off while they were working on pipes.)

• HU-528228756
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Interesting…

I’m seeing a pretty strong no-go on the attic. I personally never liked hanging on an outside wall as stated above (even if they match up stucco etc).

We eventually plan to have propane standby power for basics.

The PEX water lines are going in the attic. The last sub in the area no longer offers in-slab plumbing.

How about this - Tankless in broom closet in laundry rm next to master suite?

• Put a tankless in the broom closet off the laundry rm near master. It’s 2 ft deep but over 5.5+ ft wide (it’s an irregular parallelogram shape). Could stick smaller shelves perpendicular on 1 side and open up back and other side to bare wall to mount too?
    • This is where the internet comes in and a network switch for CAT5 to other rooms - should I be concerned about heat from tankless in there?
    • Can put a drain in floor (just need to keep scorpions and widows and such out)
    • Would all be on interior spaces and require the appropriate venting out the wall or soffit or roof. But pretty close to master bath (and washing machine).
    • Could still throw a smaller 2.5 ga POS tank under the vanity for lag from tankless if really wanted that instant-on effect.

(Iikewise could instead put tankless in master closet at furthest end of house)

• Shola Akins
    2 years ago

Consider getting the navies with the built in recirculating pump. That’s what we have and water gets hot in 4 seconds without needing any extra button.

• David Cary
    2 years ago

Charles - I was thinking of a sealed, insulated attic. That is what I have. There is very little freeze risk unless there was extended empty house + extended electric shutdown + cold snap not seen before. It happens to be on the south side so stays a little warmer than the house.

OP - propane is something we will be phasing out. There will likely be an alternative and it will be more expensive. Try not to corner yourself into using something that if you have an alternative. Especially not for day to day use. Tankless electric is a poor choice.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

@David Cary,

I suggest care when making general conclusions or recommendations based on your specific experience, unique construction methods in your home, and what works in your particular climate zone. Conditioned attics (I've built only four homes with them) are atypical, at least in our area.

Insurance companies are good at quantifying risks, and learning how to mitigate potential losses. While it's not the norm, two of my clients--both of whom were insured by Chubb--were required to have an intelligent water shut off valve installed in their homes. The insurance company inspected the home during construction and at completion to ensure the required shut off valve was installed and operational. Given the low cost of intelligent shutoff valves compared with potential losses caused by water damage, I suspect we'll see more insurers requiring them in the future.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

Our hot water tank was installed April 2017. It is being replaced Monday because it is leaking! Thank goodness it is in the cellar!

• Mindy Thomas
    2 years ago

​​There's no dimensions but one option would be to lengthen your laundry room and put it in a utility closet in there, that would center it between your everyday needs and help with timely distribution.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

Just FYI:

There's virtually no heat thrown off by the tankless heater.

You do need a drain for it - both for the condensate and the T&P valve. You also have to flush it.

I think they all have outside air intake - so that's not an issue.

You can sidewall vent that - it's better than going through the roof unless that's the front of your home.

I still think a hybrid in the garage would be a way to go. So much cheaper than propane.

HU-528228756 thanked Jake The Wonderdog
  • HU-528228756
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's a pic I snapped of the actual laundry room with the odd shaped broom closet. It's currently 2 ft deep and about 5 ft 6 in wide. It could be made slightly deeper - maybe 2 ft 6 in. Or the broom closet door could float left/right along the wall a little.

Lots of permutations and tweaks. I photochopped a few options (but there's more I can think of). Those are interior walls around the closet.

Could also put it on the wall on right side just past where the laundry door swings (3rd pic on bottom). It would be 'exposed' mounted to the wall and might hamper moving equipment in/out. That's an exterior wall.

Thoughts on any of these?

It looks like there's options for condensing or non-condensing models. I guess a non-condensing model doesn't require a drain? (they are getting ready to set forms in a few days so need to decide if I need a drain pretty quick if I'm going to try for one inside the house vs on outside wall)

• Mindy Thomas
    2 years ago

Either one in the closet would work, I would consider what your putting in there, mop, bucket, vacuum cleaning supplies, etc, but it looks like putting it to the right might give you more wall/floor space.  You could start your shelves 3 1/2 - 4 feet off the ground to accommodate the vacuum if needed.  You could also utilize the back side of the door for broom and dust pan.

• HU-528228756
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Basically I'm now looking to requesting the builder go with an indoor unit in the broom closet (one of the options w/ 'red' box above).

If so, will need to decide between a condensing (need to add a drain or tie into the washer drain) or non-condensing (have to be more careful on venting due to hot vent pipe I think.

One of the new issues I have w/ the outside unit is that now the slab on the back will be fairly deep - that will certainly put an outdoor unit above my shoulders if not entirely over my head - for maintenance (or replacement someday) I REALLY don't like that at all.

Any FINAL WORDS of caution before going into contractor w/ request to locate an indoor unit in broom closet of laundry near master? (condensing or non-condensing)

thanks

• pima74
    2 years ago

If you select a tank type, consider a drain. They have a pressure relief valve that could let go and also can spring a leak later on in life.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

Condensing is the only way to go because you can vent with PVC instead of the required Stainless steel for non-condensing.

You have to have a drain for the relief valve.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

Determine for each type the back-draft pressure that must not be exceeded. It may affect your kitchen hood make-up air system complexity unless you allow outside air to go into these closets to the units such that they see only outside pressure. In other words, tiny but low restriction MUA paths to the water heaters can save a lot in kitchen MUA complexity.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

The burner ratings of tankless hot water heaters are comparable to some gas furnaces; they can consume a lot of combustion air. To be sure, the potential for back drafting to occur should be considered when installing non-condensing type tankless hot water heaters in living spaces. However, condensing-type tankless hot water heaters are sealed combustion units with a dedicated pipe to supply outside air for combustion air and a dedicated exhaust i.e., no potential for back drafting to occur.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

The btu input on a typical tankless gas water heater is actually equivalent to about two furnaces. A typical tankless water heater is 200,000 BTU per hour. A typical gas furnace for larger house is 100,000 BTU per hour. Don't mess around with anything but a sealed combustion setup. Go with the condensing unit and outside air intake. You have to put in a drain no matter what

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

The BTU rating of a furnace depends on the size of the home and the climate zone. For a 3,500 SF home in our climate zone (zone 4), a furnace would be rated around 160K BTU/hr. which is pretty close to the same 180K BTU/hr. rating as a 7.5 gpm condensing-type tankless hot water heater. The furnace rating would be higher for the same size home in colder climates and lower in warmer climates. In any case, the amount of combustion air consumed by a tankless hot water heater is sufficient that it needs to be considered in the design phase. I wouldn't put a non-condensing hot water heater inside a home.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

I am happy to learn that condensing units universally have their own MUA. I hope that they are sealed well enough to resist back-drafting if the room pressure is below the exterior pressure by several tenths of an inch of water column, which is possible with good kitchen hood potential performance but inadequate kitchen make-up air performance.

• HU-528228756
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If servicing a Master bath with 1 shower, 2 vanity sinks (no tub) plus a washing machine (and small rarely used sink next to it) - what is a prudent capacity for a tankless? (the other parts of house are serviced by different water heater)

I could easily see a single sink and shower at same time. More rare might be clothes washer and shower or clothes washer and vanity.

thx

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

200k btu (199k). Always. There's no compelling reason not to - and the higher btu will give you plenty of headroom when there are multiple demands at the same time - particularly filling a tub in the winter. So that you know, tankless will modulate the burner down to the appropriate level for given inlet temp and water flow. If you exceed the ability of the heater to provide hot water it will reduce the flow of water so it can maintain outlet temp.

Pay attention to minimum flow rates to activate and to keep running.

Rheem has always been very good on the min flow rates, but check the brand you are considering.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

"Pay attention to minimum flow rates to activate and to keep running."

Good advice. One of our clients was disappointed when the flowrate of the handheld shower for her freestanding tub was too low for proper temperature control by her tankless hot water heater.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

That can also happen when the outlet temperature is set too high. There's rarely any reason for it to be above 115 F. If it's set too high then it only requires a small amount of hot water that then gets mixed down to 105 or so. Because the flow is so low the water heater shuts off.