SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gincourt

What color should I make the floating shelves

Connie
2 years ago

I dislike the honey oak cabinets, but I can not afford to paint them now, plus I may be selling this summer anyway and all the cabinets in the house are honey oak and at this time I dont want to paint them all. What color should I paint the shelves to tone down the honey oak ? The cabinet side of the kitchen is very dark, so I was thinking of painting the shelves white to brighten up that side. The granite and back splash are staying . I’m just trying to lighten up the cabinet side of the kitchen, tone down the honey oak and pull the room together at the same time. please tell me your thoughts.

Comments (39)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Black?

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Black was actually my first thought but it would not brighten up the area

• Related Discussions

I don't like the floating shelves by my range, what can I do?

Q

Comments (80)
    I couldn't wait to get home & play!!! Thank you all so much! We moved in here & a lot wasn't/still isn't finished. I had to take a break for awhile to live in the space. Just for fun, I found another set of pictures to try also. Ok, so I couldn't let completely go of some of my stuff & put it in the "dead corner" The other side of the kitchen( my favorite place to sit, especially in winter). Still need sconces for FP, pendants over island & UC lighting........... AND command center/ wine bar AND rework pantry cabs to hold microwave & breville in my "scullery" area.
    ...See More

should I install floating shelves?

Q

Comments (33)
    Beautiful, gorgeous kitchen. It must be wonderful to work in. I would have to pinch myself every day. Since this is a walkway to the dining room, if you don't need additional storage, I love the idea of a bold and interesting gallery wall rather than closing it in with more cabinets. Of course if you actually need more storage, shallow cabinets or shelves would be fine also. I guess I would try putting some shallow boxes on the wall to see how it feels before putting something permanent in place.
    ...See More

What color should I paint my kitchen to make it brighter?

Q

Comments (9)
    Those countertops are tough. I don't care for either paint color in your photos but but original is definitely better than the Sea Salt. I like pink and grey together, though - have you considered playing up the pink with accessories and painting the walls a very pale, crisp true grey? I'm not familiar with all the brands and colors like some of the experts here, but Benjamin Moore Greytint or Grey Cashmere might work, or Sherwin William's Passive.
    ...See More

What color should I paint behind the shelves

Q

Comments (4)
    You could consider an accent wall with a coordinating color. For instance, if you painted this room in SW Agreeable Gray, you could paint the wall behind the shelves with Sherwin-Williams Coral Rose SW 9004.
    ...See More
  • Sammie J
    2 years ago

Lights should be used to brighten the area...the color of the shelving won't make an appreciable difference. I'd use black - if you don't want black, use your trim color.

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You both are 100 % right black it is

• PRO
    Catherine Belan
    2 years ago

How about the color of the fabric on the chairs?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I was going to say black as well. But I'd do two of them by the windows

(BTW, What is your current wall color? I feel like if you did something less yellow, it would help w/the honey oak tone)

Maybe something like this, w/one or two sconces above them.

Or, try this by the stove (you could do 2, not 3, but I like the sconce)

here's my redition w/black shelves and black sconces

and oak shelving w/gold sconces. (you could do gold and black. think about getting a new black faucet. I got mine from Delta and it's great. not expensive either)

if you can install some sconces over the shelves, it would look great. and if you're only doing one shelf, it would eat up some of that wall space

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I know you didn’t ask, but your wall paint color does not work with the oak. Is it a shade of yellow?

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I think changing your wall color would really brighten the room up.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

A bamboo shade with cabinet color and black might be something to consider.

• plf12652
    2 years ago

It’s not just about the color, it’s about the balance in the kitchen…..Beth H’s photos clearly show that you need 2 shelves, painted black to echo your countertop and the hardware, to bring balance to those empty walls. And the lights above the shelves are great!

• felizlady
    2 years ago

I would do the floating shelves in white to match the window and door trim, but I don’t think you need floating shelves. Try to find the exact source, manufacturer and style of the kitchen cabinets. You need upper cabinets if you are thinking of selling next year or ever.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

felizlady, these are older cabs. I'm sure she removed the uppers so she could have the open shelving. That's what she wants. Hopefully she kept them so that when she sells, the buyer can have the option.

These cabs would be good candidates for painting if they're a solid wood and still in good shape. The modification I would make is adding drawers in the lower portion of the island.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

A white backsplash all the way up those walls then shelves could make a nice change.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

You have ONE upper...how is that making an entire room dark? Your counters tops are the big thing sucking up light. For sure don't paint if you are going to sell!! Wood cabinets are far far more desirable by the populous than painted!! The lack of cabinets is going to be a huge issue selling. The one shelf you have could just be repeated. Why add yet another element?

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Is there a separate pantry room for storage nearby? If not, you maybe feel cabinet space works for your needs? Obviously if selling may only appeal to certain buyers.

• honeybeemaiden1
    2 years ago

Maybe take one of the shades from the tile backsplash. Your window trim is nice and bright white, and if you are trying to lighten it up, a lighter shade that plays off one of the shades in the tile backsplash would work and it would mesh well with the wood also.

• honeybeemaiden1
    2 years ago

Also, to tie it together when lightening it up with lighter shelfs, maybe lighten up the handles on the cabinets to coordinate and bring it together. I agree with catherine above, maybe the color of the chairs in background. I don’t think black is the only option, you can definitely go lighter into the shades that play off backsplash or chairs. The items you place on the shelves will play into your color design as well.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

I actually think the image Beth shared of the shelves that match the honey oak really pull the look together. You have 'toned down' the honey oak by removing the uppers - and by adding in black and white and glass (dishware/accessories) and black sconces to those walls will also continue along that vein. So, don't be afraid of a honey oak stain - IMO it looks better than more black. A color/color will be even trickier for resale.

• Mindy Thomas
    2 years ago

I think you're cabinets are beautiful!  I would consider painting your walls a different color if you want to tone down the yellow in the cabinets, similar to the muted/cool tones in the example from Beth H.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

You want to lighten the space ? Then for sure not black shelves , way too much contrast. Start by making sure all your bulbs are LEDs 4000K then the colors will be true all the time and then see if the shelves need to change at all. Maybe just some nice colorful stuff , not too much, on the shelves for sale purposes .I do agree if you want to do anything stain to match the cabinets.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Fastest and easiest idea is to paint the shelves black and the wall a warm white that doesn’t throw off a yellow tinge. Look at SW Creamy for the walls. If you’re more creative, use Beth’s two shelf idea.

• Lisa Carabott
    2 years ago

I love that comfy seating area!

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• plf12652
    2 years ago

Very nice with much better balance!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

(apparently my photoshop recommendations went unnoticed! lol)

How did you install the shelves? they look like they're sagging. did you mount the supports in the studs?

paint your puck lights black so they're somewhat hidden. use a metal spray paint.

In fact, if you can, hollow out a little spot in the wood so they can sit up a bit.

one more suggestion. your white outlet cover on the island? they make oak covers. you could find on in the same stain color, or get it in raw and stain it to match. Little things like that can make a difference. especially to future buyers. it's a cheap redo. that white outlet really stands out.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I suggest you look at the photos Beth posted for the kinds of things one might typically see on kitchen shelves. Too much decor on yours I think. At least maybe the corner ones should reflect a working kitchen.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

The black paint looks great. Please rethink what you place on the shelves.

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all of your inspiring ideas.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

A Hobby Lobby/Michael's aficionado, I see. Looks like a housekeeper's dream! The shelves turned out pretty nice, but that's not kitchen decor, and there's way too much of it. Be sure to simplify after the holidays and certainly before photographing for real estate presentation.

• happyleg
    2 years ago

Consider painting your backsplash light gray to go with the yellow paint and the cabinets and I agree with Beth on two shelves at the window it's looking festive now

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H. The shelves were custom made by a cabinetry carpenter and are very sturdy

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H. We just bought the house this summer from an older couple who built it in 2005, Shockingly the cabinets I removed are cheap cabinets with wood facing and veneer sides dated 2019! Blew my mind that someone in 2019 would install new honey oak cabinets. None of the color stain of the upper cabinet doors matched each other or the bottom cabinets, it was a mess. We are planning to move again this summer so I didn’t want to sink anymore more money into to the house in case home prices drop. I did keep the upper cabinets in case the next buyer wants them. Surprisingly the houses in the city we moved to all look about 30-40 years behind the times, it was very difficult to find a house that wasn’t a 4 room square with 8 ft ceilings.

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H and Decoenthusiaste
    Thanks for the tips notice the electric cover on the island

• loobab
    2 years ago

Hi Connie- Are those real ivy topiaries? Please be careful with those. I went on a topiary kick years ago and ignored all the advice I read about ivy topiaries tending to collect little bugs. Well, mine did get those little bugs. And yes, they were indoor topiaries, too. So please be careful, this is your kitchen, around your food! If they are articificial, no bugs, that's good, you can just run them under the sink spray to get rid of any dust (remove the twinkle lights and ribbons first.)

• Connie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

They are artificial, my husband puts the lights on them every Christmas, I can’t stop him he loves to do it lol

• loobab
    2 years ago

Good on him for getting involved, and with something that doesn't involve risking life and limb!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Connie, yes! looks better w/o that white. now just spray your white puck lights and you'll be in business!

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Styles of houses and decorating are super regional except for a few HGTV trends people will want to rip out in five years (I've never understood the love of shiplap). I've lived all over the US and understand what you experienced. With that in mind, don't go too far from the regional taste if you plan to sell soon. Not sure what @decoenthusiaste meant with this comment, "A Hobby Lobby/Michael's aficionado" but if you've been to a Hobby Lobby or Michael's lately and tried to find a parking spot anywhere near the door, you'll see that the poster is in good company.

Decorate to your own taste if you plan to stay, decorate to your own taste with a nod to local tastes if you plan to sell.

Looks very nice, well done.