SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherry_pepper

Electrical wiring for natural gas fireplace.

Frank Marsh
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My house has a "Continental Fireplaces" natural gas fireplace (CWHD31N). It can be turned on by a standard wall switch. There is a breaker in the breaker box labeled "Fireplace". The manual says it uses IPI ignition. It says there is an option for battery backup, but I do not know where those batteries would be located to check if they are installed. I have not opened the wall switch to take a look. With all power on in the room a contactless voltage tester did not alarm when close to the wall switch (in on or off position).

I would like to replace the wall switch, but am a wimp and need to do it with the power off.

1) When I turned off the breaker labeled fireplace the fireplace still started. Assuming that circuit is related, and not mislabeled or something, I assume that was because of the battery backup (but don't know where to check for batteries).

2) There seems nothing different about the breaker, but the installation manual seems to say 120V AC should not be running to the switch. I have only seen one transformer in the house, and I assumed it was for the doorbell. Is it possible/common that the transformer for the doorbell would also be used for this IP Ignition? Or, is it more likely there's another transformer somewhere specifically for the fireplace?

3) Where is the IPI board located? Is that in the wall with the switch, or inside the main fireplace unit somewhere?

Comments (3)