SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_291723326

any ideas how to hide a fridge in cabinet

Lyla M
2 years ago

Want to install cabinets in my very very small space. It would be great if I could camouflage the fridge along the same wall. I was thinking some Ikea arrangement with doors. I welcome your suggestions.

Comments (42)

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or this selection

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This was the Houzz feature that inspired me to think it possible.

• Related Discussions

Any ideas how to move my fridge?

Q

Comments (2)
    Maybe see if an auto body shop can suggest something. They must have ways to bring cars in and out of their shop. jayne
    ...See More

I need to re-do my little fridge, any ideas for me? 1 pic

Q

Comments (14)
    Wow, thanks for the information- I've never had that kind of luck with getting ModPodge to harden. You may very well be right-- it could be it was either too damp or not warm enough in the house. The nice thing about sealing over ModPodge or other glue products is that if you get enough layers over it, the decoupage has a sort of recessed/inlaid feel to it. If you get a chance, you can see a couple of the past decoupage projects I've got online: http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/The_Thrift_Shop_Romantic/Decoupage_Footstool_Purse.html http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/The_Thrift_Shop_Romantic/Greeting_Card_and_Lace_Guest_Tray.html I ended up doing these with Aleene's Craft Glue, and then a topcoat. But now you've got me thinking I just wasn't using the ModPodge under the right conditions! --Jenn
    ...See More

Ideas on how to hide furnace vent pipes?

Q

Comments (23)
    We're facing this same challenge with a new high efficiency furnace vent coming out of our front bay window. @HU-514395560 - did you have luck with using plants to hide your vent? If so, what species worked? I'm hoping to plant a low evergreen a couple feet out from the vent to hide it year-round. We wanted a high efficiency furnace and unfortunately this was the only spot to vent it, but the sales guy sure did downplay how big the vent is and also led me to believe we could successfully landscape around it which I'm now second guessing.
    ...See More

Good ideas on how to hide the mess

Q

Comments (1)
    Instead of enclosing the shelf I’d try to corral the items in bins. You could group like items, label the bins, etc.
    ...See More
  • Sue54321 ABC
    2 years ago

How is the fridge going to vent?

• M Riz
    2 years ago

^ exactly

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Certain manufacturers make door fronts for refrigerators. This is not a new thought...been done for years. I just never understood why people think an unending bank of cupboards is more aesthetically pleasing than I 'fridge? It's a kitchen after all--not a library where one would look out of place. Google it you will find PLENTY of options.

• chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Look for integrated fridges covered with appliance panels. Sub-zero has been doing this for a long time. In my previous house I did integrated paneled fridge and dishwasher and will be doing the same in the house we are building. I like the look, but more importantly, I hate cleaning stainless.

Search on Houzz and you will find lots of examples ...

Kitchens · More Info

• Verbo
    2 years ago

15-20K for the built in fridge, cabinets, and technical design knowledge and installation expertise is how you make that happen. Depends on whst size you want.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

Which is more asthetically pleasing?

Its a personal preference.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

No you need to purchase a fridge meant to be integrated and I guess if you have more money than I do go shopping for one. The fridge in the Ikea pic is not only integrated but a Europen sized fridge BTW

• latifolia
    2 years ago

Look for a panel-ready fridge and then get your kitchen designer and custom cabinet maker to design and build the kitchen so it looks seamless. This is not an Ikea hack project.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

As @Patricia Colwell Consulting says, it's a fully integrated fridge, not just panel ready. The description in your inspiration photo is misleading because the fridge isn't really in a cabinet. While they are more expensive and require some expertise to install properly, I think they look great especially in a small modern kitchen. Check out SubZero (Designer series), Thermador (Freedom series), Miele and Liebherr but be prepared for sticker shock. Many others make panel ready but they don't look as sleek when installed.

• Helen
    2 years ago

I have a paneled dishwasher and refrigerator in my recent remodel.

My refrigerator is not an integrated model so it isn't entirely disguised the way a Subzero would be. However, it is a counter depth refrigerator and the portion of the sides that protrude slightly are clad in the same wood as the doors so when one looks at the wall with the refrigerator and dishwasher it looks like it is a solid line of cabinets.

I am fine with this because otherwise when looking at that wall the metal refrigerator and dishwasher doors would have dominated and this way the beautiful wood doors are what one sees.

However, it is not inexpensive to go this route. Paneled refrigerators - even if not Subzero are still relatively expensive. Mine was a Kitchenaid and was about $3300 for a counter depth French door model. You then have to pay for the panels to be made as well as installed. And don't forget the cost of appliance pulls which have to be purchased and which are surprisingly expensive for what they are.

All of my cabinets were done custom and I think the big box cabinets in your example are not IKEA but probably one of the semi-custom more expensive lines they carry which probably do sell the panels for refrigerators and dishwashers in their line. If you are purchasing an integrated refrigerator like a Subzero then it is installed and the panels are applied as part of your GC's duties. If you are going with a less expensive manner like I did with a non-integrated refrigerator the GC would again install the cabinets and he could come up with matching side panels like mine have which disguise the portion that juts out a bit.

• coray
    2 years ago

Since IKEA is a European co. check and see if they have any good options….it’s very common there, as many folks live in much smaller spaces than we have in US. Since you have a small space and are looking at IKEA already it might be a good starting point.

Lyla M thanked coray
  • M Riz
    2 years ago

There are companies that can make panels for your non panel ready fridge. I would guess they would look best if the fridge was recessed into the wall, IDK https://www.frigodesign.com/custom-kitchens/appliance-frames-and-panels.html

Again, never tried them, never have seen them on a fridge

edit: link doesnt work so google frigodesign

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow. So much wisdom and experience you have shared. The elegant custom options are indeed cost prohibitive for me but lovely. Arcy_gw my space is so small that the fridge will be outside the “kitchen” and in the eating/sitting area. Good question Sue about venting… i will visit the frigodesign for ideas -thanks M Riz. Thanks for liking my selection of panels Helen - they are from Ikea -and i was looking for an IKEA hack job -i did ask at my visit there coray but they had none. Chispa is that a fridge behind the open door? People at Houzz are much more creative and innovative. Thank you.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Generally, "integrated" fridges are built in and look like cabinets (like the one Chispa shows). "Paneled" fridges will look mostly like cabinets and will have a door stuck on front but won't fool anyone who looks carefully--they can be built in or free-standing normal fridges, usually cabinet depth these days.

There is some spillover between the categories and some companies (like Subzero) make both types.

You might do better to spend a little more on just a really good-looking fridge, if your eating area is casual enough. Who could be unhappy dining next to

?

• User
    2 years ago

The elegant custom options are indeed cost prohibitive

Then don't do it. Honestly a regular fridge looks perfectly fine. It sounds like you don't have the budget to have a concealed one done the proper way.

One big issue: have you ever noticed how a fridge sticks out about 2-3" in front of the cabinets? Or if not that, then it needs a lot of clearance on the left and/or right side. Otherwise you can't open the doors wide enough. If you put a panel on a fridge, it's going to stick out and might also look gappy compared to the other cabinets. It's just going to look weird. Hidden fridges are designed to mitigate all that.

Just get a normal counter-depth fridge, and then find other ways to make your kitchen look nice.

• julieste
    2 years ago

Also, maybe it's just me but when I was appliance shopping at several upper end appliance stores I pulled open the doors on paneled/integrated fridges and dishwashers, and they really seemed heavy to me.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

I have a Smeg in my ADU and it could not be cuter. FWIW I chose it for the aesthetic.

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    2 years ago

Late last year IKEA introduced the Superkall fridge in Canada and the US, which is a fridge specifically designed to fit inside a stock 24" IKEA cabinet. Literally the world's cheapest fully integrated/fully concealed panelled refrigerator - but very small at 8.8 cubic feet and 24" wide. Haven't used it yet in any of my own projects but it looks promising.

Lyla M thanked Home Reborn
  • Sue54321 ABC
    2 years ago

Julieste - this video explains the weight.

https://youtu.be/xouomEbiIyk

• coray
    2 years ago

Chinacat, what a cute, pretty kitchen! The Smeg works great in there, I think.

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

wow-wow. that is it! thank you home reborn for setting us in the right direction. thank you wdcruise for directing me to the exact source. my dream - that cabinet for fridge and use the options there for doors and hardware for the utility closet. that is all i have space for but will make my home more orderly and functional. thank you friends. now to find a fridge that might be less expensive with those dimensions.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Those IKEA fridges open up tons of possibilities. About time something like that hit the market.

I wonder if I could live with two of them side by side without losing my mind...er my milk.

• User
    2 years ago

very interesting! also I just found out that as of very recently, Ikea is unbranded Frigidaire. I used to ignore their appliance selection but maybe now I'll be taking a closer look!

Lyla M thanked User
  • just_janni
    2 years ago

I wonder if I could live with two of them side by side without losing my mind...er my milk.

Yup - saw that you can change them for left or right opening and that's exactly where my mind went!

total game changer

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

It would cost $1500+ for the IKEA Superkall 8.8 cubic foot refrigerator, cabinet and hardware. A Whirlpool WRB533CZJW 12.7 cubic foot refrigerator would cost about $900. Hiding the tiny IKEA refrigerator at a cost of $600+ more doesn't appeal to me. And if that IKEA refrigerator were withdrawn from the market there would be no refrigerator available to fit the IKEA cabinet in case of failure.

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very good point. Prefer the whirlpool but the IKEA is less than a 24” width to slide into the cabinet. Unfortunately the Whirlpool is too wide for cabinet. Even at that i cannot afford to overpay for the cabinet -wish there were a DIY hack.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

I'm suggesting forgoing the cabinet.

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am accepting that possibility- with a little regret. Thank you to those kind people helping to see possibilities for maybe later down the road.

• ice1
    2 years ago

I’m in Europe, this is a Siemens refrigerator, these are used all over. no went problem. this is a new one but the one before was 14 years old. you can get them in any brand. Electrolux , Bosch, Miele. Just thought you would like to see,

• Helen
    2 years ago

OP does not seem to be considering the IKEA refrigerator so perhaps this is irrelevant but I would not want to lock myself into such an odd size for a refrigerator "space" - whether it was a cabinet or just the opening left to fit a free standing appliance.

Prior to my remodel the kitche in my condo had a small and short opening which limited the refrigerators that could be used - essentially only the bottom of the line "apartment style" refrigerators.

Anyone wanting to get a more modern refrigerator had to do serious modification of the surrounding cabinets which entailed hiring someone for the carpentry portion as well as painting - which then generaly meant painting a larger area so that it didn't look blotchy.

In general standard sizes are for a 24" dishwasher and at least a 30" stove. While refrigerator widths vary I think most kitchens now have at least room for a 36" or at least a 32" inch.

• Sarah Easton
    2 years ago

I had to buy 2 refrigerators in the last year. I waited for a new model” smart” Fdr. model that died in 2 weeks. I then got a manual dial office size fridge counter depth from Staples. l’m not sure it would fit the Ikea cabinet, but it’s dimensions are 24” wide,28” deep and 59.5” height (includes the top hinge).

Sarah

• Verbo
    2 years ago

“Fitting” is itrelevant when it would burn up and die if placed in a cabinet. Only very specific, very expensive, US fridges can be fully integrated. It’s a completely different system than the Euro built in type fridges. We do not go to the market every single day for a chicken thigh, a baguette, and a pint of milk. 10cu ft isn't even a bar fridge in the US.

• coray
    2 years ago

Ice1: that’s exactly the issue, I think…in Europe most people have fridges like yours, built in etc, but here in the US it’s a serious step up, and very costly.

• latifolia
    2 years ago

The Ikea fridge is $1149, which the OP indicated was not in her budget. None of these other options will cost less than that and still be functional; e.g., not fry the fridge.

• jaimed1
    10 months ago

Were you able to find a solution for hiding your refrigerator?

• wdccruise
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

@jaimed1: "Were you able to find a solution for hiding your refrigerator?"

All of these can be installed inside a cabinet with a cabinet panel attached to the refrigerator door to completely hide the appliance.

These are all the same except for brand and price:

• Lyla M
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I bought an ikea cabinet - pax system - did not add the back so I could push the fridge further back and looked flush in the front. I also did not attach the bottom piece to allow more air circulation

• Sue54321 ABC
    10 months ago

Even if the cabinet was feasible, which it was for me, I declined to go that rout after trying futilely to find someone willing to install a potential panel. No one wanted liability for possible breaking the panel or having the panel break later as you opened & closed the heavy fridge door. I watched a YouTube video on how to install the panel on a fridge door and was appalled. All that weight over and over on a piece of plywood insert and two screws in the expensive panel. Seemed like an engineering fail. Plus you have to get a new expensive panel if the fridge dies and gets replaced. Went stainless steel factory refrigerator door instead, no regrets.

• wdccruise
    10 months ago

@Sue54321 ABC: "I watched a YouTube video on how to install the panel on a fridge door and was appalled. All that weight over and over on a piece of plywood insert and two screws in the expensive panel. Seemed like an engineering fail."

The installation instructions for the Bertazzoni state that a slider is attached to the door and then slid into a bracket attached to the door. I don't see anything that would indicate that only two screws are used to attach the panel to the door. The user manual for the similar Beko states that the panels may each weight up to 66 lbs which is pretty substantial.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert