SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finndian

Uhoh, I may have a door height problem!

Paul F.
2 years ago

I ordered a folding door for my property. There is going to be a clearstory window above it. When I ordered the windows and doors I had two reps from the window/door company here, the architect and the GC and the site supervisor... all standing in front of the rough opening for the folding door. Jointly we decided that the clearstory window was going to be 24 inches tall and the folding door 80" tall. We had 1/2 inch to spare with that division. So the doors arrive last week and they are 76.25 inches tall! OK, so there is a 3 inch track on the top and an inch on the bottom of a folding door... I should have known or someone should have pointed it out to me at least. My 75 inch tall body can make it through the opening with an inch to spare but it kills me because we could have made the clearstory 20", 21" it didn't have to be 24". After the shock, I was resigned to just putting the short doors in and living with the oversight but cursing all the people there that should have counseled me a little better.

BUT THEN, I checked my many exterior doors still on order just to make sure there were no weird measurements like that and I find the window/door company interpreted our request for 80" doors as a measurement that included the door frame instead of the door itself. In other words the doors on order are going to be 77" tall in a 80" frame. The rough openings are 82 3/4"... we all measured them that day! The doors are still on order and were due to be delivered on January 7th with the threat of supply chain delays with Fleetwood. HOPEFULLY the window/door company can change the order for taller doors if it's not to far along in assembly (this will put me at the back of the line apparently). They tell me the glass has likely already been cut but we need to wait until tomorrow to see what phase the NINE too-short doors are in. I won't be sleeping tonight.

TWO of the doors are primary egress doors and I need 80 inches to code in my city. Not sure how all this could have happened. The rest of the doors are exterior too but not primary, two are going into either side of my garage. All my interior wood doors are 80". Won't it look strange with 77 inch exterior doors? Keep in mind that with the threshold bottom, the door top will be at 78" mark but I will be passing through doors with 2 inches to spare. Am I overreacting to this? I got the window schedule order and signed it back in september and saw the order for all the 80" doors so I signed it... now I may be getting 77" doors instead. Who's fault is this? Everyone's? No one's? Mine?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner