SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theotherjaye

Chronicling our Springfield, OR new build

theotherjaye
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My husband and I are building our ”forever” (actually, ”for as long as possible”) home in Springfield. It is being built by the builder who owns the lot, but we have a rather astounding abiity to customize. We can select our own finishes, for example, no “pick one of these three countertop options.” So far, we added a half bath, completely redesigned the kitchen, opened up the back of the house by adding/enlarging windows and turning a window into a sliding door, and moved a couple of exterior walls/doors around. We will be doing tile in the hallways, bathrooms, the master closet and laundry, maple everywhere else. Closet and full bath floors will be heated. Kitchen will be custom cabinets, likely blue lowers and cherry or white uppers. Countertops are soapstone. House wired w/cat6 cable to all bedrooms, living room and office. The office will actually be a gym; the closet in that room is where all our networking gear goes. The front bedroom is my studio (thus no closet) This will probably get floor to ceiling built-ins along one wall. The back bedroom is Art’s office/cave.

We are retired, 57 (me) and 71. Our goal is to make this house one we can stay in for a long time. This is our first new build, although we have gut reno-ed a kitchen and done a complete refit on a boat, twice. Originally, we were looking to buy an existing house, but in months of looking have seen nothing even remotely close. True single story houses (no rec room/garage/workshop under the house) are surprisingly hard to find here. I looked at a re-sale in this neighborhood, which checked all of our boxes. The layout was great, but the finishes were, IMO, awful. The prospect of another gut remodel wasn’t super appealing, either. So here we are.

Floorplan below:

I know I have a better version of this site plan somewhere…

(windows on garage door are stacked verticallyon the right side of the door, not across the top)

Comments (9)