SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgdg_gw

Can I use acrylic to raise my fountain wall (pics attached)

K G
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello,

We have built a fountain in our backyard and now want to raise that fountain wall by 3".

Since it's already tiled, we wanted to install glass or acrylic panels that would be mounted on the inside tiled (beige tile) wall of the water basin such that it extends about 3" above the top of the tiled surface (the white calcatta tile).

This would now allow the water level to rise higher than the currently tiled surface level.

Here are the pictures:

Top view:

Right side view showing both tiled surfaces:

I was thinking of mounting the 6" high glass or acrylic panel on that beige inside tile with 3" below and 3" above that metal trim/white tile top surface level:

The water level will rise to say 2" above the metal trim/white tile top surface level with 1" of glass to spare...:

Proposed panels (shown in red): The smaller end panels size will be about 6" high x 18" wide. The 2 middle panels would be about 6" high x 45" wide. The middle small lip (with the blue bottom tiles) would allow the water to flow out from this main basin into another pond as shown:

QUESTIONS:

1) Would acrylic work as well in this application (constant touch with water and this will be in out in the open in direct sunlight). I think if we get a UV treated acrylic, it shouldn't yellow.

2) Should I be concerned about temperature expansion/contraction vs glass? I have read that acrylic will expand/contract higher than glass.

3) How should we mount the glass or acrylic to the inside tiled surface? Would a U-channel on the bottom of all the panels work with silicone adhesive between the glass panel and the inside tile. Would this be enough to sustain the water pressure exerted by the water that would be above the white tiled surface level?

I expect the water level to rise about 2" above the white tiled surface level.

4) Any issues you foresee with this approach?

Thanks in advance,

Ketan

Comments (6)