SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupu4u

Living Room Redo

pupu4u
2 years ago

We had a really small narrow living room and bumped out a wall a few feet (as much as we could). now the room is big enough for a furniture upgrade but i am overwhelmed with choices? the chairs we have now will all go (they are in terrible condition after years of being beat up by kids and pets), but again not sure if we should replace them or if we can get large enough sofas or a sectional to meet seating needs (family if 4) with space for guests. We liked the Acis st C&B, also visited Lazy Boy, and a local store that had eome Pallister, Rowe and John Michael Designs. pottery barn also keeps coming up in my searches but havent sat on one yet. any advice on directions we could go?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

A sectional with two chairs should work for the area.

pupu4u thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Related Discussions

living room redo

Q

Comments (8)
    Your furniture is playing "the rug is lava" and the coffee table just died! You have a lot of big furniture in this room, so I'm going to recommend letting go of most of it. I hear you on the sentimental sofa. I have some pieces like that, so it'll stay put. Figuratively. Literally, I recommend turning your mum's sofa so it faces the fireplace. I love your wingback chair, and it goes great with the sofa, so let's keep that where it is for now. Let go of the rug, and let's look for a coffee table that suits the style of the sofa and chair, rather than what you have now. So far, we're just keeping the sofa and the wingback chair. You with me? Let's move the sofa table behind the sofa, that way you can keep some reading lights/task lighting. Next, we're going to remove everything from the walls. Yes, everything. This lets us see how the room looks without the distraction of frames and photos. Then we're going to curate the art and photos to create a collection that goes together. The other pieces can be distributed appropriately through the house. Once that's all done, post another photo so we can offer continued advice.
    ...See More

Long Rectangle Living Room Re-Do

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes one idea was to create a reading area at the end where the entry doors are from the hallway with a cuddle chair or a couple of armchairs, (we used to use it as a toy area) but this would still mean we had less seating in the actual "living room" area. We think the best option would be to move the doors down the hallway and create a new single opening into this area and move the "living room" area to the front of the house, but before making such big changes just wonder if theres a way to use the room as it is?
    ...See More

Living room re-do

Q

Comments (5)
    Look for a light soft color in your rug and use that for the chairs. Measure the floor area for the chairs and check the measurements to the chairs so they fit correctly.
    ...See More

living room redo

Q

Comments (2)
    You don't have to paint the knotty pine. It might look nice to keep it as is. As for the TV, you can place it on a console to the left or right of the fireplace, depending on the size of the TV.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

MY first idea would be get the TV off the FP the wall where you have the red art is the perfect wall for a TV with a low wide cabinet wall mounterd TV so that the center of the screen is at eye level when you are seated then plan your furniture layout. Is this your "forever" home ? I only ask because I really dislike sectionals IMO the most expensive way to but the fewest comfy seats and one with cahise even more so. I like a sofa and 2 chairs those pieces give you fleability and allow you to move them a bit closer to add a couple of seats on occassion. If you do the TV then you can have storage , a bit of display and the TV all in one spot and all the storage hidden which will make the space feel even bigger . Does the desk need to be there ? Does the piano need to be there ? I usually start with a to scale floor plan then use that same scale to cut out some pieces of furniture that you are looking at and see how they fit remember you need proper walkways.These are a couple of Ikea Besta ideas for the TV wall the nice thing is those pieces can be configured for exactly what you need .The door fronts come in many choices this is more to just give you an idea of the layout

pupu4u thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kandrewspa
    2 years ago

There are separate threads on this forum about different sofa brands, so search for those and read them. Personally I only buy wood furniture from PB, not upholstered furniture. You will see a lot of negative comments on the other threads about their upholstered pieces. I also find their cushions to be too soft. Firmer cushions get softer over time. If they start soft they're only going to get softer until your brand new sofa feels like it's already ten years old.

The size and placement are a different question that I'll let the pros discuss. Before you buy anything, tape an outline of it on your floor using painters tape, or even build somewhat of a model with cardboard boxes so you can get an idea of scale. Also make sure whatever it is will fit through your door.

The whole sectional/sofa-chairs decision is contentious as some people have strong opinions one way or another, but you'll find most pros advocate for the sofa and two chairs option. It's also more flexible if you ever move. I use my dining room chairs for flex seating when I have company. Make sure the style and colors are complementary between the two rooms and this will work for you also.

pupu4u thanked kandrewspa
  • Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Well the recliner has got to be replaced!

pupu4u thanked Kathy Furt
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

I like idea with sectional. I would go with curtains from ceiling to floor, lighter walls and contemporary style

pupu4u thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

pupu4u thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Try this. A sofa and four swivel chairs. Place them in a "U" on a large area rug.

Kiawah Family Home · More Info

pupu4u thanked decoenthusiaste
  • pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for so many great ideas! We probably will be here 15-20 years so im ok with buying furniture specific to this space.

Deco…i think the sofa with 4 swivel chairs is super interesting and i see how the versatility is advantageous, but i also really like the sectionals and the idea that we can all snuggle up on the couch for movie night.

Patricia, i would love to move the tv, but if we dont have the couch on the wall with the flower picture, it will be in a walkway. (I'm not sure if it is clear in the pictures, between the tv and couch, is a direct path between the front snd patio doors.) the desk will go (leftover from covid homeschooling) but the keyboard will likely stay unless we can find another corner to tuck it into.

HU… i love that you added a chandelier. I like the whole vibe you have with the leather ottoman and blue sectional.

celery, love the paint. i notice you put the chaise on the left with a chair too. is there a rule if thjmb for how much space to allow between pieces of furniture?

haha Kathy! dogs got to the recliner! luvkily they have outgrown the chewing phase.

kandrew, thanks for the advice! we have been trying to block space, but i will definitely tae it off.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Not a fan of sectionals, but may depend on ages of kids. I imagine smaller ones will stick to the corner because no adult can be comfortable there and its the snuggle spot, but they'll outgrow it. Most people like arms on their seating and no one gets two of those. With a chaise sofa you get the feeling of a sectional but not so much bulk. Still, you'll need some chairs for guests who don't want to snuggle.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Deco, if we fo a sectional, we would only buy one with snd angled corner so the corner seat is functional. in my mind the advantage of a sectional is more seating with a cleaner look. After looking ar the puctures and sleeping on it. im wondering if i should do an L shaped sectional in the corner under the ”family” collage with a swivel chair across instead of floating the furniture in the middle of the room. this would work if i coupd covince the hubby to move the tv to the wall next to the fireplace (and lower it). but wiuld it look off balance to shift the living room to the left?

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Heres that wall, i would just need a new home for the hutch

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Your ideabooks are full of colorful patterns. Do you have a budget range in mind? If so, what items does it need to include? Sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table, rug, curtains? Will the art be staying or replaced?

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Will this help convince him? Remember, no matter what sofa people sit on they generally tend to leave an empty seat between them so they can turn to each other for conversation. I don't care to be rowed up on a sofa like bleachers at a sporting event.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Apple Pie, so funny, i havent looked at the idea books years. yes i guess idealogically i gravitate toward bold colors and patterns but i always end up with earthier colors. i guesz i dont know how to make the bold work. we have $20k budget but it includes a bathroom update so it is not as mych as it sounds. probably leaves $5k +\- . Artwork will stay but rug will be replaced eventually. i would like to use an ottoman instead of coffee table for the option of an extra seat, but the other wood furniture will likely stay.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Deco, you probably made his day. He has been advocating advocating for a bigger TV for the longest time. we dont watch much tv and i hate it being a focal point so i have been resistant. di you think it would look awkward to shift the sitting area over to all the tv to be on the wall wear the hutch currently is?

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Thanks for info. In terms of wear and tear from family use, are you okay with replacing a sofa in three or five years or would you prefer a longer-lived sofa? With a current $5K budget, you could get a couple of classic Ikea Poang chairs and an Ikea sofa or sectional. If you wait untli your budget is more like $15K, you could get a sturdier sofa and chairs that would last much longer.

In the meantime, you could cover the frayed recliner with a $50 slipcover, but if its cushions are as kaput as the fabric, it's best discarded. Ikea Poang chairs are easily carried to and from kids rooms when you have company. An alternative would be a pair of comfortable wooden rocking chairs for under $200 each. The advantage of rocking chairs is that they can be easily rotated to face the tv, the keyboard or the sofa.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We actually have one posng chair already and i absolutely hate it. it is so uncomfortable! we also have an ike couch in the playroom, but i would like something nicer in the living room. If we go the cheaper replace in a few years way, i saw an option at macys. but we like the C&B Axis and another local company (John Michael Designs). i was also looking into Simplicity Sofa…just cant sit on one bevause they are only online. those options seem like a compromise between breaking the bank and contributing to the landfills. i think?!! So overwhelming.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I find myself gravitating to these warm rust colors. what color should the seating and walls be if we used a rug like the one puctures?

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Creamy white. Similar to the light part of the rug.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

i agree that would be lovely, but should have mentioned that adjacent walls were just painted (dining room, entry, hallways ) the attached color….so that is another consideration. but we are thinking a non white color because of kids and pets

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh and also the fireplace is teally ugly white brick that somehow looks worse with light walls.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

After an unbelievably long search, we opted for a red (gulp) sectional…not sure how the red happened since ee were set on a more neutral on our way to the store, but it is so bright and cheery and just seemed to call to usx it ties into our rose painting, which we love. so i think it will be fun. just not sure what to do about a rug and accent chair. kinda of drawn to a buffalo check swivel…but not sure if that has longevity or how to tie together

with a rug? heres the couch, i think the red is a little brighter in the picture thank in person, but we havent received it yet so i dont have real pictures.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or going in a more colorful direction, i love this rug, but them am at a loss for what to do for an accent chair or coffee table

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Once you have the new red sofa, it will be easier to pick out a chair and rug. A new post at that point would probably get some useful comments. Will you be getting new curtains and paint?

pupu4u thanked apple_pie_order
  • ffpalms
    2 years ago

I admire your bold choice of couch! I agree with apple_pie_order that is is probably best to start a new post. On my monitor, the couch looks to have a pinkish cast, in comparison to your rose art. Is that couch color accurate? Also, could you post a photo of your windows without any coverings?

I’m not sure of the scale of the pattern on this rug. Do you know the measurments of the photo you posted? I like the more colorful approach. I think the buffalo check might limit your other choices for window coverings and pillows.

pupu4u thanked ffpalms
  • pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks apple pie and ffplams. the new couch wont arrive until August but maybe it makes more sense to post with puctures then as you suggest. we do need to paint but im not sure, if we will refresh with a new coat of green or switch it up. that is one if the reasons i wanted to plan the rest if the room so we could paint before the couch arrives. The couch is a true red(color of the petals in the rose painting). we are plannimg to keep the rose which also has some of the green wall color snd the yellows which are in are adjacent dining room. i havent thought about curtains yet. we do need some window covering because the the neighbors house is very close. Oh and the couch is anout 150” wide. the rug i posted was 8x10. im not sure if we need one that is a little bigger though.

• pupu4u
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Window picture:

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Since you hate the Ikea Poang chair, the arrival of the new red sofa would be a good time to get rid of it or move it to a kid's room. Before the pandemic, the big department stores and furniture stores often had lots of their chair floor samples for sale at odd times of the year. Take an occasional look to see if a good chair pops up that fits your budget. Stores such as Home Goods tend to have occasional chairs good for short term sitting (lightweight and inexpensive), but not nearly as comfortable as a recliner or well-upholstered chair with good springs.