SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_519991104

Capital Culinarian 36” Range - Oven issues

Russ Jones
2 years ago

I have a Capital Culinarian 36” range. It is now probably five or so years old.

I love the cooktop. Cleaning is really easy as the top disassembles without tools for cleaning. The burner top has lost the black coating on a couple of burners but they still work well. Burners have a lot of heat and the wok grate works great.

The oven on the other hand… In the first year I had warranty service out three times. My Capital warranty experience was good.

The symptoms at that time were that with the oven temp set to 350 the oven would continue to heat to over 500. I was not using convection. The same repair tech replaced the copper temperature sensing element on each of the three visits. (Not sure what the part is called)

This did not permanently solve the issue and I eventually figured out it only happened if I baked with a commercial baking sheet or two half sheets side by side. Okay, so much for the marketing points about commercial baking sheet capacity, but I can work around the issue.

Now the issue is that the oven doesn’t heat to the dial’s temperature setting. If set for 350 it will heat to 350. But today I needed 375 and had to set the dial to 415 to get a stable 375. This happens whenever a temperature over 350 is wanted.

I searched the archives and wonder if this might be an issue with the igniter’s bimetallic strip thermocouple mechanism. Basically if it falsely senses that the igniter current is low it limits the gas flow through the valve.

Do any of you have any ideas/suggestions?

Comments (12)