SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tupi2020

Comments on our modern "long house" design?

tupi2020
2 years ago

I posted this earlier and got some great comments, then the whole discussion disappeared. I'd like to continue the discussion, so I'm reposting it again below (with some edits).

Our architects just completed Schematic Design, and are starting Construction Documents for our new house, but we still have the opportunity to make changes especially if we missed something major. Here are the current plans:

The home will be in a rural area outside of Portland OR. The lot is about 3 acres, a wide East-West rectangle. About a third of the lot is level, then the South part slopes gently towards some wetlands, with a view of many acres of pastures and farms. So it's an ideal setting for a wide East-West house, with lots of windows towards the South overlooking the greenery.

The occupants will be the two of us, and my mother-in-law. We do want a couple of spare bedrooms for our children to stay when they visit. No matter how much we wanted to downsize from our current 3200 sq ft house, we are still ending up with over 3000 sq ft for the main part, and another 500 sq ft for the ADU wing for my MIL. At this point I think we've reached the smallest area that we feel we'd be happy with, so probably not much more carving can be done.

As I said, we're finished with Schematic Design after many many iterations. The design is a hybrid of the architects' proposals and our feedback/suggestions, hopefully the best of each. But we do want to hear if we're doing something that we'll regret later, so please don't be shy with comments or thoughts. I'd rather fix things now than later.

Comments (180)