SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanishgw

Okay- I Promised A Decorating Update (Really Long + Taxidermy Warning)

1929Spanish-GW
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I promised to share some photos of my redecorating this weekend. As a recap, it all started with new gilt floor lamps about a year and a half ago and turned into a full-fledged obsession with creating something new with a lot of somethings old. Fortunately, DH has been on board since the beginning.

Remember that I'm channeling a Stephen Volpe designed apartment that was in AD in the mid 2000's. Going for 1930/40's French Art Deco with a dash of Chinoiserie and other stuff...

First, what we kept.

All the upholstered furniture in the living room. It's a combination of Room & Board (sofa) and Lee Industries chairs. I took a day off from work a number of years to go to a design center sidewalk sale. Boss though I was crazy, but those two chairs were 70% off! And the houndstooth slipper chair is a Lee Industries for Crate & Barrel. We cover the sofa with a c. 1970's cloth from an old church in Italy that I found at an estate sale. It's three widths of heavy woven cloth - linen, flax-like - hand sewn together and is a perfect size for a sofa cover.

The three way mirror, chair and book case in the library are not new. Everyone should own a three way mirror!

In the dining room, the mirror on the floor is c. 1940's from my Grandmother. We'll hang it eventually. The only thing I'm really struggling with is the pie cabinet on the back wall. It doesn't really fit my French Art Deco room, but I really love it and there's no place else to put it. We have to do structural work in there and may add some more windows, so I can put off making a decision. On top of the cabinet is a bunch of stuff that needs to find a home. Right now, on top of the cabinet is a good home. It keeps the old espresso machine company! heeheehee

Also staying are the two cabinets in the living room. The smaller was one of the first antiques I bought in the 80's and it houses my fabric hoard. The other was from my mom and fits the space perfectly. We're hoping to put the CD's in the console.

Then, what we bought, or got. The list is embarrassingly long. But also fabulously long.

1. Gilt floor lamps from The RealReal. Who knew they sold furniture?!?

2. Rug from HD Buttercup closeout sale, it's an Anne Selke rug.

3. Antique Chinese Horses - gift.

4. Lucite stool as table - gift.

5. Antiqued gold side table - HD Buttercup closeout sale, part of a set of nesting tables where the others went missing.

6. Gilt coffee table - Kolkka from DesignPlus Consignment in San Francisco - locally hand forged in the Bay Area.

7. Michael Taylor New World for Baker (c. 1950's) console - eBay. This one cost a fraction of the others I found online, but we learned upon receipt that it's sagging some in the middle. It's okay though, because the others were way more than we wanted to pay. We're going to get it fixed. Also, it doesn't fit my prized 80's era Carver tuner, but we'll find a smaller one with streaming capabilities.

8. Barbara Barry for Henredon table (c. 1990's) from The Estate Sale Company in Palm Springs.

9. French Art Deco chairs (c. 1930's) from Maison Gerard in NYC, via 1st. Dibbs - and I thought I'd never shop that site!

10. Clarkson Ellen Degeneres Floor lamp with bird, Home Goods. I coveted this lamp on Pinterest, so imagine my surprise when I walked into Home Goods one day and it was sitting there on sale for $99!

11. Zelda (c. 1970's). Yes, she's on the floor in the library. This was a gift from the original owner. It has no paperwork anymore so it can't be sold in CA. She was folded up in a warehouse, with no one in the family wanting to take her. I would NEVER buy a contemporary version of her, and honestly the chair is placed where it is on purpose. But she makes a statement in what would otherwise be a glorified hallway.

12. Murano glass & gilt light fixture (c. 40's maybe) from Bay Home Consignment in Berkeley. It came from a local estate and had two sconces that matched, which I didn't need. I need to call them and get the name of the original owner as I forgot to write it down. I might leave my DH and marry this light fixture. I do love Italians....

Okay, so either you read the detail or skipped to the photos. Either way, I won't judge.

That's Betty and the small rugs at the base of the sofa are because her nails catch on the carpet when she jumps up. Could we train her off the sofa? No way!

I hope you enjoyed the tour!

Comments (31)