SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlinsd

SPC Vinyl Floor Problem - Cupping

T Larsen
2 years ago

Hello everyone, I need your opinion and suggestions…

Earlier this year we hired a "Full service home remodeling contractor" to do a large kitchen and bathroom remodel which included new flooring throughout the house. We used "Eiffel" MegaClic Grand Legend SPC from AJ Trading (20mil, 9" x 60", 5.5mm total thickness).

Before installation, the flooring sub contractor measured the moisture levels in our concrete slab and determined it was low. So they just worked on leveling the concrete and then laid the planks right on top of the concrete. I think they rolled on some kind of sealer but I don’t see any polyethylene vapor barrier.

4-5 months after the remodel was complete we started noticing cupping on some planks over an area where a new trench for the kitchen drain line had been dug.

October 5 we contacted our GC who arranged for the flooring installer to come out.

October 13 the floor guy came out and removed some of the planks and said he could measure increased moisture right over the drain line trench and would discuss this with the GC. He then left us with a hole in the kitchen floor.

October 19 the GC then sent out a plumber who scoped the drain line but they didn't see any leaks in the line.

November 2 the GC sent out a leak detection company who re-measured the concrete moisture level and reported it was now at a normal level.

November 4 the GC then told us they had done due diligence and concluded that the source of the floor buckling was from liquid spillage on the floor and they would calculate the cost to us for reinstalling the floor that had been removed.

I replied that there had been no liquid spillage and then pointed out the floor is waterproof and had been installed without a vapor barrier although the installation instructions provided with the planks as well as the warranty note on the floor manufacturer's site calls out "Note: Grand Legend must be installed with a 0.6 Mil underlayment when floating. The subfloor must be dry (max 2.5% moisture content -CME method)"

November 5 the GC said they will work with their flooring people and get back to us.

November 22 the GC said they will send out the flooring installer next week to pull off some more of the floor to see if additional flooring is affected and then make a determination on what needs to be sealed and then reinstall the floor.

I requested confirmation that this will be done without cost to us and if they don't plan to put underlayment under the entire floor then I want confirmation they will take care of future flooring issues if we experience more planks cupping due to moisture from the concrete.

I have not yet received any response to this....

We have now had a hole in our kitchen floor for 6 weeks!!

Are our requests unreasonable?

What would you suggest for next step?

Any input is very much appreciated!

Comment (1)