SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylesage90

Advice needed on floorplan of narrow living room!

Mary L
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I need advice on whether the below proposed layout will allow for proper flow and if it will look cramped. The floorplan I was given has this room listed as 16'4 x 11'7, but based on some rudimentary measurements, I actually think it's quite a bit more narrow.. 10'6, max.

• The black line along the left wall is the width of the existing fireplace mantle. The dark blue box in front of it is the rough dimensions of the hearth. We will be placing our TV above the fireplace with an extending arm that will allow us to lower it to proper viewing height
  • The dark blue box on the bottom is the approximate size of the radiator, which is placed below the window
  • The dark blue box attached to the sofa is the length of a proposed chaise
  • The light blue boxes are proposed built in cabinet/bookshelves. These would be roughly 16 inches wide in order to accommodate a record player and speaker system. They would also hide the various cords associated with an entertainment center
  • The opening on the bottom right leads to the front door, and the opening on the top right leads to the kitchen.

There is another room in the house that has a layout more conducive to TV watching, IMO, but my audiophile husband demands that his speakers be along a flat wall opposite a couch for optimal acoustics. So, here I am.

With the proposed layout, there will be a minimum of 30 inch walkway between every surface. The tightest would be the top door to couch, which is roughly 32 inches. Between the coffee table and proposed bookshelf is 38 inches, and between the chaise and the bookshelf it's about 47.

However, I'm worried that it will still look cramped. Is the chaise a bad idea? I prefer watching tv with a chaise, but it will take up over half the available floorspace if we do built-ins. Also, Is narrowing an already narrow room with built-ins a bad idea?

Any other advice you can provide? I've attached a few pictures below so you can get a sense of the room (the current owners are using it as a dining room). Thank you so much!

Comment