SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_cano

Light fixtures

Barbara C
2 years ago

My daughter wants to replace the light fixtures in her living room but we are struggling to determine what might work.

Comments (32)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Something like these?

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! That is an excellent suggestion.

• Related Discussions

Light fixture qs: should I use the same fixtures over the peninsu

Q

Comments (3)
    I can't comment on the size of the light fixtures for the peninsula, but I do like your choice. In my kitchen I have 3 different kinds of light fixtures - one over the table, another one over the kitchen sink and then 2 the same over one window and the back door. Pot lights elsewhere. Personally I like the different fixtures - not too matchy matchy - but maybe it is not for everyone. They all have something in common though - the metal in them is antique brass.
    ...See More

Mixing Bathroom Light Fixtures with Bathroom Fixtures?

Q

Comments (5)
    no, it wouldn't I mixed finishes in all my baths..looks pretty natural. I don't even think people notice..they just see bigger picture. Don't mix brushed nickel and polished nickel, or chrome and nickel, these are too close to mix successfuly. ORB is different enough from brushed nickel, and also gives that very neutral feel, it being dark..you should be fine. but you can also cross post your question in Home Decorating forum..there's usually where questions about colors etc. go. Or Bathrooms one..but Home Decorating has more traffic..you 'll get more responces
    ...See More

What island lights to go with these light fixtures?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you Comoelita. Do you have a source for the first and third picture you posted?
    ...See More

What is this light fixture, and how do I open it to replace a light?

Q

Comments (1)
    That looks like Mica company, and it looks like you remove the screws around the outside.
    ...See More
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your response, and I appreciate your candor. I’m just wondering if they are too contempory for a post and beam house... (We did stike out with the first suggestion as everything we found seemed far too big for this spot)

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think it's just the way they appear in the picture. The lowest part of the beams are over 8 ft- probably around 8' 3"-8' 6", the higher parts are probably around 9' 6", so not especially low.

• Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’d go for rustic elegant. But I’d also add plenty of lamps in the room, besides having overhead fixtures.

Lamps Plus has a ’view in your room feature’ you could use for ideas. Just upload a photo of the rooms with the lights you’re interested in.

Barbara C thanked Jilly
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

Is this her current furniture? If so, is she keeping two sitting areas or is far area the dining room?

Barbara C thanked Allison0704
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

8'6 is low, and low profile track or rail should really just be lighting and not a focal point. there are lots of examples of track in post and beam. the other struggle is you only can put certain mounting plates on the beam that have to stay inside that width so also be aware of that.

So otherwise, I would do a 4'' disc wafer style light that sits flush and goes away. I say this bc neither of these areas really seem to be asking for decorative fixtures, and the style should be the focal point in that case.

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Allison, she is keeping two seating areas ( she has a dining room that’s not visible in the pictures) but not necessarily all the furniture (it is mostly our old furniture from a summer house). She is a little overwhelmed with it all and we decided the most objectionable item was the lights. (And the need for a second rug, which we ordered shortly after the original post).

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jinx, rustic elegant sounds like a great idea, Im just not sure what that is is.

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RL Relocation: It sounds like she has low ceilings afrter all, and some type of track lighting would be best. I can take your suggestions to a lighting store as i really don't understand the terminology. (I do understand that any fixture will need to be mounted in the same location as the existing fixture and the supports will need to be mounted on that same beam.) Would black be best, or would bronze work better?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

well lucky for you I am 14 years into lighting now lol. I no longer work at a store but I can explain it. Track will just give you more flex as to seating etc and also lots of great lighting. I would go bronze or aged brass. yes the power will mount to the same location.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

if you can get a larger room shot so we can see the rest of the space it will help determine how many lights you should put on the track.

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I was there for the holiday but we have since left. Five hour drive so hard to go back, but i can have her take a picture. Would you want the dimensions of the room, or just a picture standing at a different location?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Im thinking it's pretty easy for her to text you a picture of the place? just a thought.

Barbara C thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A bit of delay in getting the pictures, but I think these are better than the original ones I posted. Also, the room is approximately 13’ x31’.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

yes much better!

• PRO
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

They most likely aren’t antique, I had a fixture just like that style in the early ‘90s.

Sorry, but I don’t think track/task lighting looks good in these rooms at all. Besides the aesthetic of them with this style room, there are already enough straight lines going on. Just my opinion, of course, and I mean no disrespect. For function only, they would certainly work.

It’s hard to give suggestions not knowing what styles are desired, budget, if lamps will be used/or will ceiling lights be the only lighting, are matching fixtures wanted, etc.

OP, do you have any inspiration pictures? Any lights you’ve seen you like? There are so many styles and types of lighting, maybe we can narrow it down some.

For instance, if you could go to some lighting sites and show us any you and your DD like, it would be helpful.

This is an example of rustic elegance:

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/arabesque-24-inchw-english-bronze-drum-pendant-with-downlight__69m83.html

A mix of metal with soft lines and shapes. I’m not suggesting that one specifically, and in fact wouldn’t for these rooms, am just using as an example of style.

Another site I’ve ordered (several) fixtures from:

https://www.destinationlighting.com/products/chandeliers

Choosing lighting can be challenging over the internet, not seeing the spaces in person. :)

Barbara C thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

For me it's the open sightline, and the ability to use the space differently without walking into fixtures. this space for me isn't about decorative lighting its about the beams and the space itself.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

From my post:

”I’m not suggesting that one specifically, and in fact wouldn’t for these rooms, am just using as an example of style.”

I wasn’t suggesting that light.

Barbara C thanked Jilly
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RL Relocation and Jinx, thank you both for your input. It sounds like there are two completely different styles being suggested here: track lighting versus hanging lights. Although I really liked the first hanging light suggested (black with all the candelabra bulbs), and I am not typicálly a fan of track lighting, I can see the practicality of having something mounted close to the actual beams. The coffee table at the end of the room wihôut the wood burning stove will likely remain, but the one by the wood burning stove may eventually go, making a hanging light here look out of place...

• pds290
    2 years ago

I ran cable lighting in an area where I had relatively low beams. I didn’t have room for a hanging fixture and didn’t want to see track lighting. I’ve been happy with it.

Barbara C thanked pds290
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That‘s an interesting solution and it loooks great in your house! It wouldn’t work in my daughter’s house however since her house is already wired for some type of light fixture in two places and she wouldn't want holes drilled in the beams.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I think a simple drum chandelier would look great. There are loads of different types.... this is just an example. With all of the wood and brick I think simple would be a good idea.

Barbara C thanked amykath
  • Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I like the idea of simple but im wondering if any chandelier will hang too low. I vaguely recall that any fixture should have at least 7 ft of headroom (from floor to bottom of fixture). Assuming an 8’3” beam, this would mean a maximum 15” fixture.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I think the main question here is does she need ample lighting from the overhead fixture or does she want something pretty? For me personally if I want ample lighting I use lamps and if I have an overhead fixture I keep it on a dimmer. One overhead fixture when used as the sole lighting can make a space feel cold.

However, with some form of track lighting she can scatter the various bulbs so it is not just one overhead light that only provides lighting in that singular area. I hope I am making sense!

Good example of track lighting that is not dominating the room.

Florida Island House · More Info

Barbara C thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I’m not sure how a new fixture would be more in the way than what’s there now?

ETA: I do like the way that looks, Ak! Was posting at same time. I change my mind about it after seeing that picture. :D I think you and @RL Relocation LLC nailed it! :)

Barbara C thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

@pds290 have you thought about getting MR16 with a reflector so you dont get the rainbow effect... just a thought.

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

aktillery9, I love the way the track lighting looks in the picture you posted! In answer to your question, I think my daughter wants both some light from the overhead lighting and for it to look good in her room. She definitely needs some lamps for reading, in addition to the ceiling lights, so they wouldn’t be the only light source. Do you think the light in your post, in bronze or aged brass, as recommended by RL Relocation, would be appropriate here?

• Barbara C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jinx, you are absolutely correct that a new hanging fixture wold be no more in the way than the current ones are, but the existing fixture near the wood burning stove is already somewhat in the way.

But regardless, it sounds like this most recent picture convinced you that track lighting would be a better option, and you, RL Relocation and aktillery are now all in complete agreement!

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond!

• amykath
    2 years ago

I think given the darkness of the wood I would stay in that same tone so as not to make them stand out. Just my opinion. However, if they look really sleek then maybe you could go lighter.