SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
striddy_huene

Please help, I think I made the wrong tile choices :(

Striddy Huene
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all, first time remodeler here and I am really not feeling my bathroom at this point. I am hoping that when the grout is in place, I might feel differently, but it just feels like the design is not at all cohesive and I have no clue if I'm just in shock that my bathroom looks so different or if I'm really committing some color mismatching. When we looked at this with our sample, it didn't look bad at all, but I feel like the quartz countertop (which I do love) and the off white tile we chose isn't really going well with it. I would rather get your very honest opinions on this. I thought getting a creamier color on the wall tile would help with the window trim which are mocha and have to stay that way, but now I don't know how that works with my pearl white countertop. Any help is appreciated. Our contractor comes back on Monday and hopefully I'll have some directions for him on how to go forward.

Daytime photos

Night photos

Comments (43)

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

I think it looks fine!

Striddy Huene thanked Suki Mom
  • K R
    2 years ago

It looks great. What color grout are you planning?

Striddy Huene thanked K R
  • Related Discussions

I think I've been knitting wrong for years and years!

Q

Comments (20)
    For the beanies, if they are ribbed at the edge, I would go with the rib cable cast on. There is a video showing how to do it. The lady in the video is a thrower, but you could do it in continental or combination just as easily. It makes a very nice edge. http://www.keep-on-knitting.com/rib-cable-cast-on.html Here is great bind-off for a shawl or scarf. It is stretchy and pretty. It also blocks beautifully and pairs well with the knitted cast-on. http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/07/30/a-stretchier-bind-off.aspx If you want a slightly more decorative edge on a scarf or hat, you could use a frilled cast on and a picot bind-off. Frilled cast on: http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2008/07/30/a-stretchier-bind-off.aspx Picot bind-off: http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/ss/picot-bindoff.htm These take a little practice and may seem awkward at first, but the effort is worth it. Enjoy! This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 14:21
    ...See More

Yuck! I think I have drain worms and flies! Please help!!!!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    Here is a short video I made about drain worms in my shower because I realised that there was very little about them on the web. Hope it helps you beat these little nasties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px_f0JbwIrU&list=UU4bKk4PGekB_Wzqg5I1v8QA&index=1&feature=plcp (see the link below) In short, the Drain Worms hatch from the eggs laid by the Drain Fly in a layer of scum just above the water level in the pipe. So the worms you kill today will just be replaced by more hatchlings in the following days. The worms grow up to be Drain Flies and then they lay more eggs. You've got three choices to break the life cycle: 1. Kill the flies, 2. Block the flies from reaching the scum by keeping the drain plugged or covered when not in use, 3. Open the grate so you can thoroughly clean the scum away. They do not live in the grout. That just happens to be where most people see them. They travel from the drain out towards the grout as they make a hasty escape. And by the way, they are not black. Check out the video for a closer look. Cheers Rusty Here is a link that might be useful: Drain Worms and Drain Flies, how to get rid of them
    ...See More

I think I made the wrong choice

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree - sometimes there is a shock affect when new paint goes up, but then as it sets, your eyes adjust. After you get the furniture in and wall hangings hung, along with any other lighting from lamps, etc., then you will be able to decide if it's what you truly like. If not, the great thing about paint is that it can be changed! I won't say it's easy to change, but it's not like a tile that has to be ripped out - paint just has to be covered up with more paint!! Good Luck!
    ...See More

I think I choose the wrong floor color

Q

Comments (26)
    I'm sorry but there is no way to "blend" patching in a completely different floor type (LVP) with another floor type (slate). I'm sorry that the bottom line is that the LVP patch looks bad because it never works to patch in a random section of flooring. No matter how close in color, it's different and weird. Out of curiosity, why did you remove the closet? An entry closet is usually a good thing. If it were my space, I would remove the slate and LVP and replace that whole section. IF it's possible to find travertine with close enough coloration to the rest of your floors, you might be able to fill in with that same material. If needed, you could do a decorative edging around the entrance to visually delineate if you can't get a perfect travertine match. Otherwise, you might do a tile "rug" where the entrance is intended to look highly decorative with either travertine or a completely different material. If you don't want to rip out the slate, you might be able to find more slate and try to cover the small section with the material. But there's still a possibility it will look bad. If you simply do not have the budget to replace the flooring in the whole entrance, you can try to cover up the mismatched floors. Put an area rug that covers most of the tile. Put a cabinet on top of the LVP and try to hide it. But the bottom line is that unless you completely replace or completely cover the LVP, the problem won't go away.
    ...See More
  • Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@K R Something that blends in rather than stand out. We haven't chosen anything. Do you have any suggestions in mind? Here is the wall tile options. Leaning towards light almond or biscuit?

No clue for the floor tile. :/ It is harder as it has combination of dark grey and lighter grey, but we were going to go lighter I think

• plan2remodel
    2 years ago

Maybe add a row of the mosaic tile (used on the shower floor) just above the countertop so that the countertop material is not adjacent to the wall tile. Do you have extra mosaic tiles, so that you can visualize how it would look? Will the tile above the countertop extend to the ceiling?

Striddy Huene thanked plan2remodel
  • Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@plan2remodel, I have a set of it yes. Just took a photo of it for you.

The original way we were going to do this was to make the tiling terminate at 48" (end at full tile) wrapping around the window and all the way to the vanity. (with exception of the shower which is floor to ceiling. Hoping that it would have made the place more cohesive given the challenges of having the window there. I am now honestly thinking if I should just rip out the vanity tiling and replace with quartz backsplash. That would be safe and for sure a match. Stop the wall tile to just where the bathtub would be and call it a day.

In your opinion does the creaminess of the slightly off white wall tile play okay with the coolness of the gray floors and white countertop?

• cpartist
    2 years ago

It looks fine as is. You're looking at a half done bathroom. Wait until it's all done and you'll be happy. So many of us get the midway done remorse.

Striddy Huene thanked cpartist
  • Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cpartist thanks for that. I had no idea how emotional this whole thing would be. Everything looked good when I rendered it and put the colors together, but on the wall it looks different. Ok will wait until it finishes and then will see where we are. Thanks for keeping me sane.

• plan2remodel
    2 years ago

Thanks for the photo. Now that I can see a closeup of the countertop, I realize that it is patterned. The wall tile is a better choice than the mosaic. Stopping the wall tile and then using the countertop material for the backsplash would work. It is more difficult to see on a display screen than in person.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I wouldn't have run the large tile over the counter and under the mirrors. That's not usually done. I would have gone with using the countertop material for the backsplash.

• User
    2 years ago

Agree that its the wrong tile for backsplash

Striddy Huene thanked User
  • Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Beth,

Thanks for all of this constructive feedback. I'm a first time remodeler and likely my last time and this is super helpful. I have no idea what to do now, since our bathroom is almost done and I am quite upset that this contractor, which seemed to be really good, with a long history of work etc. turned out to be disappointing. I couldn't really process why it didn't feel right to me, but now all of your suggestions make sense and I get why this tile design seems very jarring to me.

No we didn't do a dry layout, he just said he would go up to the top starting from the bottom. and suggested we don't stagger, which I was ok with. I told him I didn't want small slivers and I am definitely talking to him about that piece in the part near the ceiling. I wrote in another thread about the quality of the tile job, but thanks for pointing it out here.

Here's what I'm thinking

1) take off the vanity tiles and basically add the quartz backsplash to call it a day. I will have them shave down the thickness from 3cm to 2cm so that it matches the thickness of the trim of the mirrors since I just found out that this might be possible.

Do you suggest having a gap between the trim of the mirrors and the quartz or do you suggest moving it up full to the trim?

2) I think I have to keep my shower tiles otherwise this is a full redo. Does this warrant a full re-do? If so, I will just eat the cost. This is my last remodel so if I'm going out, I may as well go out correctly

3a) The niche is not finished. It was a suggested niche to be 12X12, is that not a good size?

3b. My understanding is that they put this orange membrane on everything (partner confirmed this) and I can see bits of the orange wrap in the shower hole and in the shower handle. I do think this guy is legit in terms of doing actual things to code, and safe etc. might not be the best at aesthetics.

4) What are the plans for the edge above the doorway and window?

These will be schlutered. with a similar color metal

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks @kandrewspa, I am going with that as well.

• plan2remodel
    2 years ago

Attached is a photo of my master bathroom countertop, where I had the quartz extended for the backsplash -- up to the mirror frame -- no gap. I think it would be easier to use a thicker strip of wood on your mirror frame than to try to slice the quartz down to 2cm

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

So it looks like a Kerdi membrane (or similar), which is fine.

is the niche 12x12 finished? If it's 12x12 in the rough, it's going to be an inch or so smaller once tiled. how big are your shampoo bottles? lol

You measure your niche by the surround size. right now it looks a tad out of proportion because of the height of the shower and the fact that your tiles are vertical, causing the eyes to go 'up'.

Here's my niche. it's 18X13 or so.

I have a smaller on on the pony wall. I can't fit any shampoo here. (see how my tiles are all cut so that it's one continuous look? it took hours to lay all this out. I have a herringbone on the back wall)

What tile is going in the niche? the same?

how is he going to edge out the sides? are their bullnose pieces on this tile? (as opposed to having a raw edge on the outside)

Also, make sure and check the bottom shelf in the niche. it should slightly slope downward to allow water to escape. you never want water to pool inside a niche.

Run you hand over the face of the shower tiles. are they all flush and level? Floors too? Did he use the large format tile leveling pieces?

I notice he did a 1/3 offset on the floor, which is good. hopefully they're all flush.

I just really dislike the slivers in the shower. if you specifically asked for those NOT to be there, then he owes you a redo, or a discount. do not pay him another dime until you are completely satisfied, or you'll never hear from him again.

make sure he knows where caulk goes (its the same for a shower,, just remove the tub in this pic and pretend it's the shower floor)

Yes to the quartz backsplash. 4 or 6" is fine. remove those large tiles next to the vanity

your sconce placement seems rather low. what do your lights look like?

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

1) Niche is 12X12 and I think, I think it works ok. I tried putting a shampoo bottle (8.25 inches) with a sample tile inside and it fits snugly, but fine.

This is the niche suggested to us https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schluter-Systems-Kerdi-Board-SN-12-in-x-12-in-Shower-Niche-KB12SN305305A/204483933#product-overview

I love your tiling and yes I should have done something like a dry run…like what you did. How did you do yours btw, did you trace it on paper? Did you also account for grout sizing then too?

What tile is going in the niche? the same?

how is he going to edge out the sides? are their bullnose pieces on this tile? (as opposed to having a raw edge on the outside)

Yes the same, and the edge will be schlutered something like this.

https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/sys-master/images/h5c/h91/8810317119518/DSC_1629.jpg

Also, make sure and check the bottom shelf in the niche. it should slightly slope downward to allow water to escape. you never want water to pool inside a niche.

Will do, he did say that that is something he does.

Run you hand over the face of the shower tiles. are they all flush and level? Floors too? Did he use the large format tile leveling pieces?

Yes, I think the face of the shower tiles themselves are smooth and I think even with no grout, I don’t see any real imperfections. They definitely used the clips etc. I am happy with the floor in general minus the one sliver right outside the curb, but I will live, I’ll put a bath mat and call it a day.

I notice he did a 1/3 offset on the floor, which is good. hopefully they're all flush.

I just really dislike the slivers in the shower. if you specifically asked for those NOT to be there, then he owes you a redo, or a discount. do not pay him another dime until you are completely satisfied, or you'll never hear from him again.

Noted, thank you. The GC still has a bunch of money outstanding that we need to pay him. I want to believe this is not intentional, but I don’t know anymore. Important thing is we get what we need to get done

Make sure he knows where caulk goes (its the same for a shower,, just remove the tub in this pic and pretend it's the shower floor)

Thanks for all that, will do to make sure he caulks the edges.

Yes to the quartz backsplash. 4 or 6" is fine. remove those large tiles next to the vanity

If the quartz tile is 3cm instead of 2cm, and the trim is closer to two cm, do you think that will look weird? Our countertop people said they can shave it down, or think they can I have yet to confirm, but this was the reason why at first we didn’t want to go with any

your sconce placement seems rather low. what do your lights look like?

It is 14.5 inches in height. I remember doing this as eye level to prevent weird shadows and glare. The cylinder itself is ten inches long. Decided to do oil rubbed bronze for this with a linen cylinder. The line where the vanity tile ends is 48”

I no longer have the link as it's not on rejuvenation, but I did find the archive to it https://web.archive.org/web/20210307054150/https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/momo-single-sconce

My biggest questions: If you only had to prioritize, how would you go about this? In no order...

a. Add Quartz backsplash or something that matches for the backsplash, I assume this means drywall repair etc.

b. Redo shower tile to remove slivers

c. Redo niche?

d. Anything else?

I am feeling like my first remodel is an utter disaster and I vacillate between saying I'm done, grout the damn thing and I'm done vs. no, I need the GC to fix the things I said I absolutely didn't want.

Again, super appreciate all your help, it's extremely constructive and something that gives me a lot to think about

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@plan2remodel, How bad would it look if it did jut out (if we didn't shave it) but kept the same trim. technically a part of my trim juts out and the other part is what I ideally wanted flush with the wall.

This is my old bathroom before the trim on the mirror was removed.

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Beth,

How do you embed your photos directly? I have to upload these photos from my computer. Just curious if you're able to basically cut and paste images.

Mirrors (Priority 2): I don’t think I can change the taupe trim. We have this trim all around the house in every bathroom mirror, windows etc. and that is something that I do want to keep consistent. Is it terrible or is it just not really to taste? I was going for a bit creamier tile, hence the offwhite, specifically to keep this mirror scheme. I will keep this in mind though. It might be okay if we did Alder with espresso consistent with the vanity. Or if we just did a beveled mirror as well. But is there anything you think I can do to keep this mirror as is? Maybe have my paint be lighter or darker? And still make it work with the rest of the scheme?

Lighting position (no change)

These are the sconces? 14" in an upward position? that should be fine.

Yea, they are 14” sconces in an upward position

This btw is what the sconces would look like. I am trying to bring some modern but remain mostly traditional in line with the house.

Niche (Priority 3) all really good food for thought. If we end up redoing the shower wall, then I think we will go with a taller niche. I am keeping all the tile just the same, I’m usually not a fan of doing diff tiles in general probably bc it’s another thing I have to find that looks good together.

I think this one is a preference thing I assume rather than a design no-no?

Do you think we should do 20 inches with both of them, or just keep one niche with 20 inches?

Getting rid of sliver tile near ceiling (Priority 1) I hate this so much. My eye goes up there whenever I look at it and it drives me nuts. Even moreso than the vertical, bc at least that feels somewhat planned. Should I just keep one inch in between the wall and the ceiling but keep the full tile, or do you think I need to come down more, like maybe in line with the top of the doorway and the window? Is that going to look ok as it's not a full tile?

Quartz backsplash (priority 1): I do not think the fabricator has a 2cm size; I called them today and they’re checking how much of my quartz is left, I bought a pental pearl white polished slab XL and had them cut it. To be fair, I am super happy with the fabricator, I feel like they did a great job on it. This was a custom slab, so I don’t think they have a backsplash ready for us to use. We didn’t ask because I didn’t think a 3cm thick backsplash would look good at all. Would a 3cm thicker backsplash vs. the 2cm trim thickness be a design no-no? I am still trying to find remnants of my 2cm same color if possible, will have to do after Thanksgiving I assume as everything is closed

Lighting is of the same style as the photo you like, with espresso vanity and oil rubbed bronze fixture. So mine is oil rubbed bronze with a linen cylinder, it is a bit more traditional to keep it in sync with our original theme.

Colors: I just want to confirm to you that the tile on the floor, the tile on the shower the tile of the wall itself goes okay together or at least not terrible? I cannot imagine doing that over honestly, that would be all the way down to the Kerdi membrane and redoing all of that. I'm not a fan of the quartz for where the glass would be sitting at bc it seems so stark white, but I will live as that's a safety issue and durability issue.

Your bathroom is incredible by the way. I absolutely love the tile work. And it shows all the intentionality you put into it. I had no idea I would be this particular about tile until we got to it. Something about the geometry and things fitting right. I care more about that than anything else, except for maybe the actual structural part. But aesthetics wise, I found that I care a lot about tile and placement and all of that.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

I don't understand why the cabinet/vanity doesn't go to the wall. I don't understand why mocha trim could not be changed..............A bath is not seen from "all over the house"

White would at least look intentional..........and yup, a mistake on the splash with a large format, but the mistake in truth was the top itself. Perhaps not the best marriage with the large format, UNLESS more white in the room, meaning all the mirror and window trim. Sorry......

Striddy Huene thanked JAN MOYER
  • Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER

Hi Jan, thanks for your feedback. The cabinet and vanity came with the builder and it was there and we don't really have budget for a new cabinet, so we left it there. I guess mocha trim could be changed and I am rethinking about just a beveled mirror rather than having any frame on it. If that were the case, do you think I still have to deal with the wall tile mishap?

"a mistake on the splash with a large format, but the mistake in truth was the top itself."

Are you saying the countertop here? That cannot be changed. I wouldn't have a budget for that at all.

I am thinking of either a quartz backsplash and bezel mirror so I don't have to deal with color matching of any kind, or this is also what I have in my kitchen which works well on the trim and might help with adding the gray back in. Thoughts on that?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Well. Either way, there was no reason to tile beyond the counter top edges. It's not a sauna: )All that does is point out the fact the cabinet should be tight to the right side wall. wall.

At the very least. , acknowledge the white........Window trim , and white framed mirrors that do NOT try to look like window casings.

Try your tile as a splash, you ( you must have a few pieces left over. And DON'T go beyond/above an eight inch height. The outlet? Don't worry about it. Frame on vertical mirrors ? No wider than what you now have. ....so ....24 x 42 inclusive of mirror and frame?

There is no cheaper "fix"

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER

Ok so we will remove the tile beyond countertop edges, I think that's relatively easy to do.

I'm really hesitant to add white into this room as I wanted it to be more beige/gray. Even my doors are painted this taupe color. This is what my bathroom looked like before and I am trying very hard to make this work if at all possible. I think you're right removing the mirror is ok, but I definitely don't want to touch the window trim.

I will try the tile as a splash and likely tile right to where the bottom trim would have been. That measures 6.5 inches I believe.

I am hoping that the fixes isn't ripping out the entire thing is what I mean. I know this is going to be pretty expensive to fix, but I really hope it doesn't mean undoing everything because this is already stressing me out as is.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Other than the drop in sinks? The top was a better color..........Oh WELL. As I said, try the tile fix. I doubt you have to rip the entire bath.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

the window trim is fine. the mirrors don't need to have the same trim. I'd remove them altogether and just do diff mirrors, or try doing the wood frame to match the vanity.

as for the quartz piece, 3CM is rather thick. if they can cut it down for you, great. go that route.

I don't mind the floor tile or your shower tile. I hate the large tile behind the vanity. You could find a solid mosaic to match one of the floor colors and do it as a backsplash if you can't do the countertop piece.

other than the mirror trim/backsplash, (and the slivers in the shower) It all looks fine.

(and yes, I copy and paste on my Mac Preview)

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Beth,

Thanks so much. Ok yea I will go ahead and find a new mirror and deal with the countertop and backsplast trying to match it or try to bezel.

My mirror size with the trim right now is 26X42. Is that what I should go by as well and if it is framed, have the mirror and the frame not be more than 26X42? What do you think of a beveled mirror? I just want to keep it simple and not match another color.

Also, would going a little thinner, like 24" be ok or should I just stick to my 26?

I don't mind the floor tile or your shower tile.

ok so having that quartz shower curb top against the creme is not as much of an eyesore than the countertop against the wall tile, right? I mean it's not ideal, but I don't have to rip that out?

I hate the large tile behind the vanity. You could find a solid mosaic to match one of the floor colors and do it as a backsplash if you can't do the countertop piece.

- what did you think about that gray that I have with my curent kitchen?

The reason I am asking if somehow the taupe mirror can stay (not for my master bedroom) is because I have a guest bath with the same thing, same offwhite color backsplash I used for the wall tile and if I need to change this backsplash, I definitely need to not do anything but change the backsplash there. There is no budget to change this mirror at all. and it's quite big. Could I use something like the gray above perhaps?

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER yea I agree about the countertop matching better, we just didn't like the large format tile there, the grout was getting pretty dirty etc. I'm trying to now work with the countertop we have and see how I can still bring some of the warmth while still keeping the countertop.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I would ditch the mirrors and get just beveled ones to go in their place. The matchy matchy trim days are fine in open spaces in the home, but bath zone should transition to a calm and soothing area of the home. Just my two cents.

Striddy Huene thanked jackowskib
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

yeah, I just don't care for the large, heavy trim around the mirrors. just doesn't work w/sleek looking vanity and tile you've chosen.

mirror size-

get which ever you like. 2 inches isn't going to make much diff.

the brown tile.

I'd have to see it once you get the mirrors in there. it could work. or find a simple mosaic that has the same color as your countertop. maybe a small picket design or somthing.

Striddy Huene thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Beth is saying what I am saying A mirror is not a "window" . there is no reason for the heaviness over the vanity. If you want an framed mirror to match your vanity? take a drawer face to a custom framer. ..........or get white....or just have a glass company make a custom size ( vertical hang ) rectangle, and bevel the edge.

Your mirror concept? Sure, maybe.....with a penny tile on the floor, painted white......some tongue and groove wainscoting.....A nice white subway in the shower : )

Everyone is trying to help you unify. and edit to a cohesive whole.

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER

Yea I get it and I will do a beveled mirror in my master bath vanity. That makes sense. Thanks.

I don't have the same luxury to do this with my guest bath which has the same issue of taupe mirror albeit with darker gray floors. I have to keep the mirror there and was asking if there's any backsplash that might make it passable.

I'll go back to the tile store and see what might look ok and will be back to update you.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

There is a REASON a bath is perfectly great with a backsplash matching a counter top. It saves one from even the potential of over think, and over design and yes, regrets.. That's why. : ))

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER, we would have loved a quartz backsplash that matched the countertop as you see in the thread above, we were told that shaving down quartz in terms of its depth is not possible. Hence why we chose tile.

Now I think for the guest bath I would rather just deal with the quartz even if it is 3cm rather than picking another tile.

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@beth,

Ok sounds great, thanks so much. I'll look into your suggestions. Seems like the mirror is a doable option. Might just require drywall fixes. I'll be back with backsplash options if I can't get the quartz. Truth be told I'd rather just get the quartz backsplash and call it a day.

I will also be back with options for my guest bath, which as you can see has this same taupe. I have basically zero budget for this room so it just has to be a backsplash change and that's it.still hoping I can get quartz and call it a day since I can't change mirrors on this.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

You can change ANYTHING later. Way later in fact. That includes the guest bath. why not focus on getting ONE thing right within a limited budget?

Three centimeter quart is used often as a back splash! It's an inch and a quarter. Rare is the occasion you can't get that behind a faucet with room to spare. No need to shave it down. You just need to know the option in advance of counter cut and polish...and account for it inn SINK selection.

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER, I'm renovating to sell and this is going to be my first and last remodel. I definitely don't want to do this again. The level of stress that is involved in renovating goes beyond what I would ever want to do.

Originally the 3cm quartz would be protruding beyond the thickness of the framed mirrors, which of course we now know that that won't be a problem with the master bath since I'm changing the mirrors. But we thought it might remain a problem because this will protrude beyond the thickness of the trim in the guest bath trim mirrors (3/4 inch in depth). Maybe it won't be a problem and everything will be fine. I just hope we can get the quartz and call it a day for that room.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

" I'M renovating to sell"

Did I miss that earlier? You are insane. .........and unless the sale is planned SOON? Double the insanity.

The very first person in there....rips all of these details. So unless that sale is five or ten years up the road? You have made yourself crazy for nothing. I mean that.

Buyers choose a home for locations/ quality/quantity...... schools, bedroom and bath count. First.

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yep I get that now it wasn't the right decision. No I didn't say anything in my thread since I thought it to be irrelevant to the conversation which was about tile colors and my perhaps not understanding creamy tones vs. frost white. But since you asked. Yes, no kidding I wouldn't have remodeled and taken the time to do everything step by step unless I thought I would have lived here for awhile, but in the middle of the remodel, life happened, and now the remodel has to finish for me to sell and so I had to make decisions quickly because I have family members that are elderly and I need to be there rather than stay where I wanted to stay.

Like I said, first and last remodel because I have to account for the fact that in the middle of the remodel I might actually have to leave my house. Didn't see that one coming.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

We hear ya. " LIFE - is what happens as you are planning something else........"

Sure does . Good luck to you and the "elderly" . The important mirrors are those you can look in, way up the road, see yourself, and have no regrets as you did what you had to do: ) Probably more. Been there. No regrets.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

or if I'm really committing some color mismatching ...

No, the problem isn't tile color; it's shape and size.

First, what's working: the floor, the shower and the vanity are all nice.

What I'd change:

- The tile backsplash above the vanity is bad ... the tiles are much too large. Fortunately, pulling them at this stage won't be too difficult. You need something much smaller here. How would the tile from the shower floor look here? If it matches, it would give continuity.

- The mirror frames are also bad. The brown tone clashes badly with the darker wood stain of the vanity. The thing is, they don't match, but they're kinda close enough that you looked like you were trying to match them.

- You don't have lighting in yet, but I'm concerned ... are you putting two sconces on the side of each mirror? They look low.

Mirrors (Priority 2): I don’t think I can change the taupe trim ... Is it terrible or is it just not really to taste?

Yes, they are really terrible. The frames are heavy (especially at the top), so they claim a lot of attention, and the brown-paint-over-wood-stained-vanity just doesn't work. I dislike the two small mirrors; I'd go with a large, more functional mirror over the whole vanity /framed with a more moderate wood-stained trim to match the vanity.

But is there anything you think I can do to keep this mirror as is?

No.

This btw is what the sconces would look like. I am trying to bring some modern but remain mostly traditional in line with the house.

It's not a problem of modern vs. traditional; it's a matter of size and proportion.

If we end up redoing the shower wall, then I think we will go with a taller niche.

Could the shower be better? Yes, a little better -- but it's not worth the cost.

Colors: I just want to confirm to you that the tile on the floor, the tile on the shower the tile of the wall itself goes okay together or at least not terrible?

Yes, these are fine; they're very simple and will work with whatever colors /accessories you want to bring in.

Beth is saying what I am saying A mirror is not a "window" . there is no reason for the heaviness over the vanity.

Yes, it's okay to change the mirrors without changing the windows.

Striddy Huene thanked Mrs Pete
  • Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs Pete,

Does this warrant changing my guest bath trim mirrors as well or can I just change the backsplash? Ugh I don't think I have budget for this. These mirrors came with the builder (not like I chose it myself) and I just wanted to change the countertop bc it was tile before and the grout was just gross bc they used small tiles for it and so the grout lines were everywhere.

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey all, ok finally making mirror choices after almost a two week delay trying to find quartz backsplash to match with our countertop. That's now somewhat resolved, so now onto the mirrors. @Beth H. :, I'm thinking actually of matching this with antique bronze, with the same shade as the lamp instead. I think it looks better than trying to match the wood and seems to be better than chrome as well. Thoughts on the oval look?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

please please, redo the outlet. there is no need for eight plugs!! (there is no way you could even use all 8 at the same time and not blow a fuse. you only need one outlet!)

Do one double, dead center and have it lowered.

I'm not sure how I feel about the sconces that far out . (certainly not the double for each one) I think it would be better to do a double sconce in the middle since your sinks are so far on the edge. the ovals are fine, although I think this looks better:

I gave you a shelf in the middle because you need something there. glass, wood, whatever you like. I'd do a larger mirror otherwise you'll have too much empty space in the middle.

This one is almost like yours. see how they used the middle? they did a rectangle mirror w/a more modern light above. I don't mind the sconces, I just don't like 4 of them, nor do I like your double quadruple outlets!

love this idea. it could be done easily enough

some other visuals

You could do something like this too. the larger rectangle mirror, and a double sconce in the middle. on the outer side do a single one if you think you need more light (but the double is prob enough. do a ceiling light over the vanity and have each light on a switch)

if you do this, you'll eat up all that middle space on the wall. bring in a large vanity tray like shown here w/something tall to balance out the space.

others:

you could even go a bit larger on the mirrors. see how these come inward more past the sink border? I like this w/the middle sconce and the large basket in the middle. (don't forget to redo that outlet!)

pendants? similar vanity size/sink. (notice the tall item in the middle) I like these pendants.

or do one sconce in the middle (a double) and on the outer edges, hang a pendant.

above the top option

this could work

• Striddy Huene
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : thanks so much! I just photoshopped the cabinet, we only have one outlet, I had to photoshop it because there is a wall that wouldn't let me get the vanity together in one photo. I like the shelf idea, too. I think I will have a shelf that double functions as a towel bar there.

Where did you get the first rectangular mirror? that one could work. Would you recommend the brass even with chrome and antique bronze nearby?