SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yaykisspurr

Another Gritty Dirt Post…

Hi! I’ve tried to grow supermarket succulents in the past but have always killed them. This time I read up on the dirt and watering before proceeding. But I’ve found advice various greatly.

Tonight I happened to click on an older post from a month ago about gritty dirt. Y’all talk way over my head so I didn’t understand a lot of it. But I think you clued me in to a problem I’ve had but not known what to do about.

I have plants that the stem rotted but I’ve been really careful not to over water. If I understood correctly since I underwatered the plants I desiccated the roots then when I did finally water it caused rot. Am I understanding?

Also…
I posted a different plant a couple days ago and was told it was my mix. I took cactus and succulent soil, a generic kind just put out (cause I read if it’s been sitting around it’s more prone to have insect eggs) and mixed it with perlite and shale. I’ve tried different amounts and now I know to put more inorganic materials in than I did in the beginning (I was following a 2:1:1 ratio).

Is this still too much dirt?

And do you guys suggest the soak method then wait til it dries totally or the bottom watering method? I’ve tried both to varying results. I like the bottom watering but sometimes it doesn’t seem to work on the small pots. So Ive tried the soak method.

And you talk about waiting to water until you see signs… I tried that and it seems to work on some but the ones that are rosettes don’t look any different to me. And the dirt only looks wet the day I water otherwise it’s always dry.

Any advice would be much appreciated (by me and the poor, poor succulents in my care.)

Comments (12)