SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

Plant it and they will come

Tom
2 years ago

I remember the above maxim from many years ago when I had planted a few butterfly and hummingbird plants and hadn't had many "customers." I started studying about the kind of plants that would attract these and other pollinators and planting more and more and... Now, over 25 years later, I have many plants and thousands of blossoms. And lots of butterflies and hummingbirds.

We don't get dozens of hummingbirds coming to our plants and feeders like they do up north in the summer months or in California where there are many all year round. We do, however, have hummingbirds year round here in Central Florida if we don't get a hard freeze. Right now I have four or five that have been here for two months or so, and will probably stay here until early spring--barring an extended freeze. There are fewer butterflies now, but, again, we will have some year round; Monarchs being the most numerous.

So, if you have been discouraged about not attracting these pollinators, take heart. The above adage is quite true, sooner or later.

Comments (12)