SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_997033148

Limiting your African violet (or whatever) collection

When I first ventured on the AV forum, experienced growers - so well-loved and respected by me after all our interactions - collectively smirked when they told me my collection would only grow. I swore my space constraints would restrict me, but all of you were all too right.

I've never seen another thread like this on this forum, so I thought I'd start one. Not that I've had complete success. These are just the things I'm doing now, after a couple years of enthusiasm.

• Once you figure out that you really do know how to propagate, give away all those extra plants you grew as "insurance" as much as you can. You could just trash them. But on the other hand, you could be giving away some joy, and meanwhile making more space for new plants.

• If you're setting a leaf or two so as to make sure you don't lose a valuable plant, save only one out of all the props you get. These plants want to live, and unless you're mistreating them, you don't need more than that one backup. In my experience, all the babies are going to make it. Not a single one has ever failed for me. So pick the best of the best, and trust it. This will save you from having to do Step One, above, finding people who will accept your spares, which in itself is not always so easy.

• (Refinement of above: due to genetics etc not every prop may be a complete clone. If potential morphs are what you care about, you have to have a lot of space to grow the props and watch them. I don't, and my priority is limiting the collection due to lack of space. Think this out for yourself, your choices, your priorities.)

• If you bought a couple of violets that have never performed for you, or which don't satisfy you no matter what other people have said about them, don't be afraid to compost them. Why offer valuable space to anything that doesn't make you happy to see, when you visit in the morning. (I'm about to hold a funeral tonight for a violet that has been hanging around here for well over a year and even when it blooms, I go, "Ugh, ugly.")

• It seems to me that at the heart of being an experienced gardener is a certain degree of ruthlessness. I also observe that at any time that I've employed that judgement, I've never been sorry.

• If you are insatiably curious about every different kind of plant/AV/whatever, remember that since you can only grow so many things at a time, you must cull, to make room for the next adventure. So getting rid of something that's redundant or unrewarding opens up possible new horizons.

Hopefully my AV collection will be better curated soon. (Feel free to smirk again. 😝) Additional tips/stories definitely invitied.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions