SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_997033148

Watering AVs (and orchids and more) with untreated well water

I live on a lake, and my water source for the house is a deep well. For several years I have stockpiled many gallon jugs of fresh water from the lake, for watering my orchids, amaryllises, and violets through the winter. But I now have so many of all of these that I can't rely on this water source to last through until the ice goes off next spring. There just aren't enough jugs.

Everything that comes from the kitchen tap is softened water, which I know is a definite no-go zone for almost all plants. However, there is a tap that I can access in the basement, from which I can get untreated well water, which is very hard, and very high in iron.

I believe that the AVs and orchids are the most sensitive to imbalances in minerals, so I'm going to try to reserve all of my fresh lake water for the AVs. But what if I run out of cached water: do I dare use the hard water? Or do I need to go buy RO water at the grocery store? (I can refill the plastic jugs that I have, so I wouldn't have to add more plastic to the environment, as long as my jugs don't spring leaks.)

Additional info: I successfully use Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 with the fresh water, which contains all the micronutrients. I am a little concerned that if I have to go to well water I should change to a straight NPK/nothing-else formula, which I can certainly do. It's on hand. (Schultz African Violet fert should do it.) But I'm a little worried that even though I can make this adjustment based on water source, it might mess things up. How much could the hardness of the water, and its iron content, affect my AVs?

Thanks for helping me think this through in advance.

Joan

Comments (3)