SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_highfield

How Would You Remodel This Fireplace Without Blocking Vents?? TIA!

Sarah S
2 years ago

Hi there! I could use some help deciding how to bring new life to this 80s gas fireplace. It appears it used to be a wood burning Heatilator fireplace (hence the three vents) but was later converted to a gas insert. From what I've read, although the blowers are not in use, it's against code to cover the vents. (I've seen quite a few DIY stories online, where they covered the vents anyway, but we want this to be a functioning fireplace). We are currently remodeling the whole house and going with a modern farmhouse style. I know this fireplace is very much mid century modern, but there are other elements in the home (rustic wood beams and stained glass) that will help bring the look together without ignoring the character of the home. Plus, that's our style, and we're remodeling it for ourselves as we plan to live here a long time.
The easiest, lowest cost option would be to clean and paint the stone white or black and swap the old vents for decorative ones in the same color so they blend in. Then replace the painted 2x4 with a thick wood beam mantel. Also, paint the brass fireplace trim with high heat black paint.
BUT...we would ideally like to be able to mount our TV above the fireplace. There really is no other place where a TV makes sense in the layout of the room. The wall on the right is all floor to ceiling windows. However, the mantel is too high to mount the TV. I'm wondering if we can knock off the mantel supports and then add white shiplap. We would add a white decorative metal grate over the center vent in the brick, as well as two white decorative vents on the bottom and shiplap around those. Thoughts? It's so hard to work around the vents!
Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments (4)